Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #41

Ref. ALMS:

... and of course there is a political power struggle brewing between ALMS and the NASCAR-bankrolled Grand Am series. That's why all those NASCAR guys turn up driving in the Daytona 24.

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:53 AM   #42

"In GT1 the Corvettes are totally dominant, mostly because nobody is campaigning the Ferrari or Aston Martin cars in the US (I understand Aston will be here this season though). "

Actually, Corvette has won at Lemans every year they have raced with the C5s and 6s. They have consistently wasted the AM cars and well, where is Ferrari at Lemans?

Moreover, the current z06 is very much built on the C6R platorm.

Face it, Corvettes (street and race) are the real deal.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
"In GT1 the Corvettes are totally dominant, mostly because nobody is campaigning the Ferrari or Aston Martin cars in the US (I understand Aston will be here this season though). "

Actually, Corvette has won at Lemans every year they have raced with the C5s and 6s. They have consistently wasted the AM cars and well, where is Ferrari at Lemans?

Moreover, the current z06 is very much built on the C6R platorm.

Face it, Corvettes (street and race) are the real deal.
That's not entirely true. Aston won LeMans last year, and two years ago the race was being handily led by a 550 Maranello until it burned to the ground.

And I take back my tube-frame comment - it appears the two do share a chassis and now in the Z06 C6 an engine. This was not the case (the engine) until the C6R.

I don't deny that the Vettes are the real deal, but they do have significant factory baking that the Ferrari and Aston teams lack. It's the same reason why the privateer Ferrari teams couldn't win againt the 911s with a 360 Modena when the street version of the two cars would lead you to believe otherwise. You've got to admit that a manufacturer the size of Saleen has a huge task ahead of him to compete with a GM factory program. It's apples to oranges.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #44

Talking

"That's not entirely true. Aston won LeMans last year, and two years ago the race was being handily led by a 550 Maranello until it burned to the ground."

Corvette won the LeMans race last year in its class. Aston Martin did not win.
I am not sure about the Maranello but of course, it did not finish so, well, it did not win!

"And I take back my tube-frame comment - it appears the two do share a chassis and now in the Z06 C6 an engine. This was not the case (the engine) until the C6R."

Correct.

"I don't deny that the Vettes are the real deal, but they do have significant factory baking that the Ferrari and Aston teams lack. It's the same reason why the privateer Ferrari teams couldn't win againt the 911s with a 360 Modena when the street version of the two cars would lead you to believe otherwise. You've got to admit that a manufacturer the size of Saleen has a huge task ahead of him to compete with a GM factory program. It's apples to oranges."

I don't agree on the apples to oranges issue. All these cars qualify in the same class. Frankly, the Saleen is a out and out race car that they sell for the street. Moreover, the Aston Martins DO have factory backing as well.

I was simply reacting to lumping the Corvette in with the NASCAR crowd. These C6s handle like world class cars and yet one still sees comments on Corvette handling that stem from the old C3.

Since the C4, a corvette will handle with just about any car out there and they do it pretty cheaply too!

Having said that, I love my Porsches too!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote