Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

Garage
If I had the money I would have both. If I had the money for just one, I would take a boxster. You can only use so much power on the road but a cars handling matters at any speed. As lf you buying for imaige you will be disappointed with a boxster, if your buying for fun you would end up unable to justify the price you paid for the 911 over the equal if not better (upon occasion) boxster.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
If I could only keep one of my fleet and I was most concerned about having fun, I'd keep the 3.6 Boxster. On the other hand, if I was concerned about which one would be worth more in 10 years and still be running, I'd keep the 996 TT.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
As lf you buying for imaige you will be disappointed with a boxster,
Not sure what you mean by this.
I bought the car based on fun, performance and also looks.. and I'm nowhere near disappointed.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
Not sure what you mean by this.
I bought the car based on fun, performance and also looks.. and I'm nowhere near disappointed.
The car looks amazing, in my opinion it looks better than a 911. The thing is the car doesn't have the legacy of a 911 even though it was clearly styled, in concept and design, by the Porsche 718.

As for OP, as long as you can diy the repairs are not bad. Boxster tops seem to last a bit longer than the other German cars out their, if you were to buy a SLK or Z4 soft top instead you are likely to shell out serious money fixing not only their tops but in regular maintenance as well. As long as you can DIY parts are not terrible, if you are okay with the less horsepower the 2.5 cars from pre 2000 not only are cheaper to buy but are much less likely to have a ims blowout. Part of the price on a 2000 or new is likely going to be a ims retrofit kit.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote