Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

Garage
Side of the Road Repairs

In modern cars, it's getting harder and harder to band-aid your ailing car back home or even off a highway.
What repairs can be practically done on the boxster to get it going again or at least limp it somewhere?
What tools would you need?
I can see carrying a spare belt and socket/wrench
I can see carrying a gallon of distilled water
Fuses, relays

Are there other repairs that could be fixed, if not permanently, at least temporarily so you can get to where you needed

When ever I travel some distance, 100+ miles, I bring tools, my old serpentine belt, spare fuel relay and a light but I don't know if there is really anything much I could do besides those simple things.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #2

AAA fits in the wallet and is available where ever you can phone from.

Perhaps a SAT phone is the only tool you'll ever need.

I wonder if there is a consensus on items the fail somewhat predictably or commonly and from that list pick the things that you can carry spares for.

I can think of these from what I have read:
  • IMS Bearing
  • Ignition Switch
  • Headlight Switch
  • Airbag issues
  • Fuses
  • Top gets stuck up or down. Limit switches fail.

I personally only carry AAA card, Cell Phone, spare fuses,flashlight and a swiss army tool/leatherman in the car

I figure that with those I can make a determination whether to drive the car any further or flatbed it home.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #3

Garage
I do have my old belt in the frunk just in case. The most import two tools I carry are cash and a cell phone! (Actually old saying from my motorcycle riding days)
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #4

The only real roadside failure I have ever had was a ruptured clutch line. There is nothing I could have done about that except call for the flat deck.

The only other problem I had out on the road was that my park brake switch failed when the top was down (of course) and it started to rain (of course). The only tool I needed to fix that was the torx screwdriver needed to remove the console insert. I always carry a small set of torx keys in the driver door pocket, so that one ended well. Even better because I was able to park the car under an overpass to do the repair.

Also in the pocket is a Leatherman tool, flashlight, hemostat, valve core tool, tire pressure gauge, emergency tire plug kit, small folding Gerber knife, 2 pens, a notebook, and a length of string. There is a first aid kit, a 12V compressor, an 18" breaker bar with a 19mm socket, and a water bottle in the frunk (and of course the factory tool kit). I keep a blanket and a roll of paper towel in the trunk. I think I may add a machete to the trunk.

Last edited by Mark_T; 03-04-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #5

My only roadside repair thus far was a flat rear tire caused by a chunk of metal in the freeway that actually put a hole in the center of the rim..very exciting. I replaced the wheel with the spare (I now carry an electric tire pump...and large garbage bag to cover the wheel when carrying it in the passenger seat). My girlfriend said people were probably shocked to see a Porsche owner carrying out roadside repairs.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #6

I'd add an extra quart or two of your preferred oil. Some spare bulbs for headlights, taillights, etc. In addition to some water for the car (in case of coolant leakage), I'd keep some drinking water in the trunk (a couple liters) and a few snacks such as granola/energy bars somewhere in the car too.

I also keep a ratcheting screw driver with swappable tips and a set of torx and torx security tips handy. If you have factory security lug nuts on your wheels make sure you carry the special socket adapter with you in case you get a flat.

For most common failures such as water pump failure, IMS bearing failure, and AOS failure you REALLY don't want to drive the car any further once the failure has occurred. For slow fluid leaks or a flat tire, it is a different story and you should travel prepared for those issues. The factory tool kit is very functional too.
RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #7

I can't imagine working on any porsche mid-engine or rear-engine on the side of the road. It's probably faster and less headache to just call a flat-bed tow truck and bring it back to the house.

As much as I enjoy driving the boxster, I hate working on it unless I get a car lift. I can't imagine doing any repair on the side of the road.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #8

Ditto....either carry a AAA card or do what I do and buy Roadside Assistance coverage from your car insurance company. (I have State Farm and the extra premium is about $5 a year, cheaper than joining AAA but can't be used as a bail bond card...lol))
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
I can't imagine working on any porsche mid-engine or rear-engine on the side of the road. It's probably faster and less headache to just call a flat-bed tow truck and bring it back to the house.
Heck, I've replaced u-joints on the side of the road, not on a Porsche though. You do get some funny looks from passers-by when you sitting on the sidewalk pounding a u-joint out of a drive shaft.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #10

Garage
Had to pop back in a shifter cable that had worked it's way out of the transmission bracket. Was driving on the highway and all of a sudden lost the ability to shift into gears.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
My Boxster is always packing:

-AAA Card
-Cell Phone & Charger
-Crank Powered Flashlight
-Gloves
-Torque Wrench
-Lug Wrench (left in the bottom of the frunk)
-12V Air Pump
-Jumper Cables
-Flares & First Aid Kit
-Spare Fuses
-Basic Tools (pliers, screwdriver, crescent wrench, leatherman, big knife, etc)

If I had a major mechanical problem, or anything requiring access to the engine I would need a tow, because you can't exactly remove a hardtop by yourself. So I am mostly concerned with tire issues. Luckily, I have only ever had to use the air pump for a mildly quick leak to get to the nearest tire shop.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #12

Progressive has 15-mile towing with their insurance for $16 a year. 12 years of driving and just 1 tow needed (and I completely forgot about using my insurance roadside, grrr) - can't really justify the cost of AAA. Cheaper just to pay for a tow yourself if not through insurance!

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story

Last edited by patssle; 03-06-2014 at 02:31 PM.
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #13

GJ. Are you an off-roading guy?

Had a u-joint gone bad on me but I just drove the 20mi home w/ crazy vibration. You must have brought a lot of tools with you; already I would be missing a ring plier or even a pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Heck, I've replaced u-joints on the side of the road, not on a Porsche though. You do get some funny looks from passers-by when you sitting on the sidewalk pounding a u-joint out of a drive shaft.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #14

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey T View Post
GJ. Are you an off-roading guy?

Had a u-joint gone bad on me but I just drove the 20mi home w/ crazy vibration. You must have brought a lot of tools with you; already I would be missing a ring plier or even a pick.
The rear u-joint broke on my way home fairly late at night, about a mile from home. I left the car ('67 Strato Chief) there on the side of the road. Next day I hopped on my bicycle, went and bought a u-joint, filled a backpack with tools I needed, and went back and fixed it. Put the bike in the trunk and drove it home.

Not really an off-roader. Used a 4x4 for hunting, but that's about it.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #16
DIY extremist

Did my waterpump in the parking lot of a rural gas station in KY, 80 miles into my first drive in the car.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
Gone

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_box View Post
Did my waterpump in the parking lot of a rural gas station in KY, 80 miles into my first drive in the car.
Yikes- as I cross my fingers...
Davev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #18

incredible,

this is the first car forum I have followed in 20 years of driving,
and I have NEVER worried about failures and break downs, until buying a Boxster and rolling Boxster forums.

It reads like all boxsters will break down, it's just a matter of time.

but as always with forums, it's generally the bad news you hear. so you end up with a distorted view of reliability.

makes sense to have basics like fuses, gaffer tape, and some screwdrivers, but really, there is nothing special about a boxster that requires you to have any different emergency tools that other cars.

I have my phone, breakdown cover, and cash, and that's all I need, just like every other car I have owned
Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_box View Post
That was ALMOST me. I drove mine home from Dallas on a Saturday. Monday morning driving to work....half dead water pump. Thank god it didn't go in the middle of no-where east Texas.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote