Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #1

Xenon Bulbs

Hi All

Wonder if you can help, I have a 2006/2007 Boxster and want to change the front bulbs for xenons. Can anybody tell me exactly what bulbs and how many I need also I'll need to change the front fog lamp bulbs too. I have found lots of these on ebay quite cheap but not sure what I need . In the manual it mentions H7 and H9. Do I need both or either of these. Sorry If I sound thick!!

Is this easy enough to do and legal or should I take them to a garage to get done. It can't be that hard, just don't want to screw it up then not have any lights.

Thanks

Stu

Stuey007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

Garage
Try the website below, its a good place to look for replacement bulb types.Just chose the model and the year of your car and headlight type (I guess Halogen in your case) it will bring list.

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applications/automotive-lighting-systems/Pages/lrgmain.aspx

And for a xenon you can try DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting products I bought from them couple years ago and till now it works.

Regards,
Armen Jr.
ArmenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Putting xenon bulbs into halogen housings without a proper focusing lens is illegal and irresponsible. They should be properly retrofitted with projectors if you want to use HID xenon bulbs.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #4

Agree! However not all projector setup are equal. GM cars (Escalade and Corvette) has projector that are like drop-in HID; very VERY blinding to drive toward it or in front of it. They reason why they have problem is the "squirrel finder hole" that lets more light through than necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Putting xenon bulbs into halogen housings without a proper focusing lens is illegal and irresponsible. They should be properly retrofitted with projectors if you want to use HID xenon bulbs.
Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #5

What everyone else said PLUS HEAT can also be an issue and you could end up with a brown/burnt headlamp if it generates too much heat.

A used replacement set for your burnt headlamps will cost at least twice as much as a properly done projector setup.

Go to the DIY section for Headlamp Projector upgrades...only $355 plus some of your time for a very nice setup.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 03-04-2014 at 12:08 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote