Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #1

Lutronic headlights are they that much better ?

H4 headlights have been the standard for a long time but now Litronics are on the scene. So for those of you that have had both are the Litronics far superior ? What are the real advantages ? I've started some email discussions with two sellers on this forum for used OEM Litronics but before I pull the trigger I want to make sure they are worth it.

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
H4 headlights have been the standard for a long time but now Litronics are on the scene. So for those of you that have had both are the Litronics far superior ? What are the real advantages ? I've started some email discussions with two sellers on this forum for used OEM Litronics but before I pull the trigger I want to make sure they are worth it.
I sure like mine. I've had xenon lights in an Audi TT, VW Passat, wife's MINI and the Boxster. The VW lights are nothing special, but the rest have been great and I find the Litronics to give a nice crisp white light. If you're trying to decide between halogens and Litronics its a no-brainer... get the Litronics.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I have custom projectors instead of the OEM litronics, but the result is similar. HID xenons are much brighter and sharper than halogens. Just keep in mind that you won't have the self leveling capability without the angle sensors and computer.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 PM   #4

I really like mine. At first when I upgraded I was underwhelmed but I believe it was due to old bulbs and an aging headlamp switch. I got new bulbs off ebay (the right ones, I forget but if you search you will find it) and a new headlamp switch, and it made a huge difference at night over the stock halogens.

I did not get the extra module and wiring to rotate the low beams up when the brights are on so I can't comment on that, except to say even without that the high beam has great visibility as well.

I paid $1000 for my set and was happy to find it at that price; I believe there are a couple on here for even less, darn it ��
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #5

Mine came optioned on my box, and I like it better than all of my other cars xenons. Besides, it looks like a piece of art. Nowadays, headlights seem to me to be just all the components jammed into one unit without much thought.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

It would be best to compare a Boxster with halogen versus one with HID, and I haven't. This is my first vehicle with HID and it's not noticeably superior to halogen. I've ridden in a couple BMWs with early HID and they were awful--blue is not something you want.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #7

Litronics rock!

I have always been a "lighting nut," trying various kinds of auxiliary lamps and all different kinds of bulbs on my halogen-equipped cars. My Boxster is my first experience with xenon lighting (it was factory-installed), and it absolutely blew me away! The beam angle, distance, and color are all fantastic. I almost never use my hi-beams or foglamps, the xenon lo-beams are THAT good.

The headlamps are my second favorite feature of the car, first being the 3.2 liter flat-six, of course!
Old 03-01-2014, 06:14 PM   #8

My Boxter is the first car I've owned with Xenons and it was a revelation compared to halogens. The amount and type of light they produce is awesome and I love the self leveling feature. I highly recommended them.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #9

For mostly urban driving, no I did not notice a huge improvement over the old school halogens. I rarely drive in rural or darkly lit areas.

Cosmetically they were a big difference. I'm just glad I upgraded when I first bought the car and they could still be had for $1,400 in a Brandywine Porsche group buy.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #10

Garage
Cosmetically, they look better. IMO.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #11

No comparison they are worth it!!
ArenaRed986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #12

I feel like I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. IMHO they're a bit better than halogens but not to the extent that they're worth the huge price premium.

I've driven both types in the dark and in the rain in the last fortnight, and other than the lighting colour there really wasn't a great deal of difference. On high beam they were noticeably a bit brighter but it's rare that I ever need them on that setting.

The cost of replacement bulbs is also at least ten times greater than for halogens.

I also don't mind the "fried egg" look of the standard lights, and on most other cars I prefer them as amber indicators (US=turn signals) are easier to see and therefore safer, but Porsche wisely do retain amber indicator lenses on their litetronics but hide them behind frosted clear glass to give the clean look without the safety compromise. I regard lighting as a functional item first and foremost, and cosmetics take a very distant second place.

My car was bought used and had them fitted already. If I'd seen another example which was near identical but with halogens for a notably lower price then I'd have bought that without regret. But as they definitely make the car stand out in comparison to halogen Boxsters they'll certainly make the car easier to resell and maybe without giving as much ground to the buyer on the asking price, so for me that's actually their biggest benefit.

In summary: if money's no object go for them. But on a used car look at the entire package and buy the better car/deal irrespective of the lights.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:19 AM   #13

I do appreciate the feedback. I would only go Litronic by buying used I would not buy new. And then there is the projector style being discussed on this forum for 355.00 that is very nice looking. My S has the amber style headlights and I don't care for them I do like the clear look. The lack of self leveling while retrofitting the OEM Litronic is not a concern for me.
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:23 AM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenaRed986 View Post
No comparison they are worth it!!
This!!
Here is outside, off, marker, on. Two tone when on. Great look.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:27 AM   #15
I am my own mechanic....

And here's how the originals looked when I bought the car.....

Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 AM   #16

Timco,
What are you actually showing in your post/pics? The only difference I see is that your drivers side lamp is clearer than the passenger side. Just trying to figure out if you just purchased new lamps because the original ones were getting cloudy.
Thanks
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #17

Quote:
The lack of self leveling while retrofitting the OEM Litronic is not a concern for me.
Without the self-levelling you risk annoying other drivers due to the constant distracting colour changes and the blinding glare which the lights appear to have when the car is pitching up and down over road imperfections. You also won't have an effective main beam as that's achieved by the levelling system angling the beams higher: they're not dual-filament lamps like with conventional lights. That will also mean you won't pass MOT tests (if you're UK based) unless you refit the original headlamps every time you have a test, and it could potentially cause insurance problems if the car is inspected as a result of a claim and found not to conform to mandatory construction and use regs.

It adds to the cost, but if you're upgrading to litronics then I strongly recommend that you do it properly with the levelling activated. Without them you're spending a lot more to install lighting which is inferior and potentially unsafe to other road users.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #18

Quote:
I do appreciate the feedback. I would only go Litronic by buying used I would not buy new. And then there is the projector style being discussed on this forum for 355.00 that is very nice looking. My S has the amber style headlights and I don't care for them I do like the clear look. The lack of self leveling while retrofitting the OEM Litronic is not a concern for me.
I would caution you against buying used Litronics. Typically they still command a high price but do not come with a warranty -- you don't know what you're getting or how long they'll last. Should one go down on you you'll need to replace it farily quickly. And finding a used light, on the side you need, is going to be pure luck. Most people sell their lights in pairs and will expect you to buy both. It sucks that new ones are expensive but you'll know they'll last a long while.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #19
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
Timco,
What are you actually showing in your post/pics? The only difference I see is that your drivers side lamp is clearer than the passenger side. Just trying to figure out if you just purchased new lamps because the original ones were getting cloudy.
Thanks
Just the look of new Lits. Well worth it.

Insurance covered new ones when one was cracked when I was backed into.

Lucky me! New Porsche lits are like 2900 per side as I was told by the agent.

Last edited by Timco; 03-02-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:26 AM   #20

Nice score!

jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote