View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 01:29 AM   #12
Obertelli

I feel like I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. IMHO they're a bit better than halogens but not to the extent that they're worth the huge price premium.

I've driven both types in the dark and in the rain in the last fortnight, and other than the lighting colour there really wasn't a great deal of difference. On high beam they were noticeably a bit brighter but it's rare that I ever need them on that setting.

The cost of replacement bulbs is also at least ten times greater than for halogens.

I also don't mind the "fried egg" look of the standard lights, and on most other cars I prefer them as amber indicators (US=turn signals) are easier to see and therefore safer, but Porsche wisely do retain amber indicator lenses on their litetronics but hide them behind frosted clear glass to give the clean look without the safety compromise. I regard lighting as a functional item first and foremost, and cosmetics take a very distant second place.

My car was bought used and had them fitted already. If I'd seen another example which was near identical but with halogens for a notably lower price then I'd have bought that without regret. But as they definitely make the car stand out in comparison to halogen Boxsters they'll certainly make the car easier to resell and maybe without giving as much ground to the buyer on the asking price, so for me that's actually their biggest benefit.

In summary: if money's no object go for them. But on a used car look at the entire package and buy the better car/deal irrespective of the lights.