Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
bmussatti

Good Q&A for Fault Code P1341

I thought that I would share this posting for someone doing a future search on Code P1341.

Here it is:

QUESTION:

Scott,
During a diagnotic check for an unrelated issue, a fault code 174 showed. My mechanic said it was a malfunction of the vario-cam solenoid on the cyl 1-3 side and the cam was stuck in one position. I have noticed no significant performance change nor is there a check engine light. There are also no other existing fault codes, to my knowledge.
I checked my manual and it appears that the solenoid must be replaced in a vertical position (engine removed). Is there an alternative? If so, could you describe the procedure or tell me where I could get it?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bob

ANSWER:

The fault code is P1341 and the DTC is 174. This fault would appear in several different cases, " Below Limit, Above Limit or Signal Implausible". The second thing would be to see if it is a present and active fault. Should the fault not be present then I would suggest to erase it first and see if it comes back again and then correct.
The actual problem could be in the wiring in which the solenoid is not getting its signal. The DME could be defective or the solenoid and or whole unit is defective. The most common would be the solenoid and or the unit. Either of these situations would require a skilled technician to remove the valve cover/camhousing and correct. Should a mist be made in the repair or assemble it could be catastrophic to the engine.
Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 2/12/2006

Old 02-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #2

Hi,

Good Post, but of course it's only relevant to the '97-'02 Models. These Cars have the 1st Gen VarioCam which uses a simple Solenoid Mechanism controlled by the DME. In it, the Valve Timing is in either the Standard or Advanced Mode, a simple ON/OFF.

The 2nd Gen VarioCam used in Models since '03 uses an Oil-Filled Stator with internal Vanes. The Hydraulic pressure created by the turning Vanes causes the Cams (and the Valve Timing) to shift infinitely through it's 40° Range. It does not use Solenoids, or the DME, to activate it. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #3

mmm Why I Love Search....

My Boxster was just diagnosed with P1341 (and P1128 - lean mixture)

A 2000, non-S motor.

I have visions of complete motor replacement/rebuild, but hopefully its as "simple" as a bad solenoid?

Does anyone have an engine schematic to show the areas affected and what other "damage" may cause this fault code to show? Can the chain driven camshaft have actually skipped a tooth, thus throwing off timing? How about a tensioner?

Thanks again!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d

Does anyone have an engine schematic to show the areas affected and what other "damage" may cause this fault code to show? Can the chain driven camshaft have actually skipped a tooth, thus throwing off timing? How about a tensioner?

Thanks again!

I doubt the timing chain could skip a tooth, but if it did... it could grenade the engine (valves not closing in time) or otherwise the engine would probably run very poorly... half of the cylinders would not be getting the right amount of air.

I'm not sure if the tensioners have some sort of sensor to tell if they're failed, but IIRC, (with a little experience with older 911s) a failed tensioner would lead to a lot of noise from the chain.

I'm willing to bet the only repercussion of this fault would be that one bank would be running with the default cam profile, since the solenoid can't move it to the secondary cam profile at higher RPM. I could GUESS that it MIGHT cause a little vibration, since the other bank would be getting more air, and would be producing a little more power per stroke....

But then, I'm not really an expert...

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:54 AM   #5

What is a DME?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster View Post
Hi,

Good Post, but of course it's only relevant to the '97-'02 Models. These Cars have the 1st Gen VarioCam which uses a simple Solenoid Mechanism controlled by the DME. In it, the Valve Timing is in either the Standard or Advanced Mode, a simple ON/OFF.

The 2nd Gen VarioCam used in Models since '03 uses an Oil-Filled Stator with internal Vanes. The Hydraulic pressure created by the turning Vanes causes the Cams (and the Valve Timing) to shift infinitely through it's 40° Range. It does not use Solenoids, or the DME, to activate it. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

986man2015 is offline   Reply With Quote