View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
bmussatti

Good Q&A for Fault Code P1341

I thought that I would share this posting for someone doing a future search on Code P1341.

Here it is:

QUESTION:

Scott,
During a diagnotic check for an unrelated issue, a fault code 174 showed. My mechanic said it was a malfunction of the vario-cam solenoid on the cyl 1-3 side and the cam was stuck in one position. I have noticed no significant performance change nor is there a check engine light. There are also no other existing fault codes, to my knowledge.
I checked my manual and it appears that the solenoid must be replaced in a vertical position (engine removed). Is there an alternative? If so, could you describe the procedure or tell me where I could get it?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bob

ANSWER:

The fault code is P1341 and the DTC is 174. This fault would appear in several different cases, " Below Limit, Above Limit or Signal Implausible". The second thing would be to see if it is a present and active fault. Should the fault not be present then I would suggest to erase it first and see if it comes back again and then correct.
The actual problem could be in the wiring in which the solenoid is not getting its signal. The DME could be defective or the solenoid and or whole unit is defective. The most common would be the solenoid and or the unit. Either of these situations would require a skilled technician to remove the valve cover/camhousing and correct. Should a mist be made in the repair or assemble it could be catastrophic to the engine.
Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 2/12/2006