View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
FrayAdjacent

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d

Does anyone have an engine schematic to show the areas affected and what other "damage" may cause this fault code to show? Can the chain driven camshaft have actually skipped a tooth, thus throwing off timing? How about a tensioner?

Thanks again!

I doubt the timing chain could skip a tooth, but if it did... it could grenade the engine (valves not closing in time) or otherwise the engine would probably run very poorly... half of the cylinders would not be getting the right amount of air.

I'm not sure if the tensioners have some sort of sensor to tell if they're failed, but IIRC, (with a little experience with older 911s) a failed tensioner would lead to a lot of noise from the chain.

I'm willing to bet the only repercussion of this fault would be that one bank would be running with the default cam profile, since the solenoid can't move it to the secondary cam profile at higher RPM. I could GUESS that it MIGHT cause a little vibration, since the other bank would be getting more air, and would be producing a little more power per stroke....

But then, I'm not really an expert...

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote