Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 01:53 AM   #1

New here, and thinking of getting a boxster.

Hi,

I've lurked on the forums for a few days and read through a several threads regarding common problems, reliability, etc. What do you guys think of this ad?

I have a couple concerns, the cosmetic damage to the bumper doesn't bother me that much but makes me wonder if there's other damage on the car that didn't get fixed because it wasn't "worth it". The oil leak could be the RMS issue, and if so will require removing the transmission to access, which means I might as well jump in a do the clutch too. 63k miles for a 1999 doesn't seem like a lot of distance on the car, but at least it didn't sit in a garage it's entire life.

So how easy would it be to rule the RMS as the culprit? If I even moved to look at this vehicle, i'd plan on getting a PPI done at a reputable dealership and then negotiate price.

This would be my first porsche, and I know it's been said many times that the cheapest boxster to buy could end up being the most expensive boxster you own. Thanks for your help, i'll be sure to stick around the forums for a while to run ideas past everyone, and this seems like a fairly helpful place to be.

flynavyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #2

I would get a PPI. If the leak is from the drain, that should be clear upon inspection. The big question for a car of this age/milage is "has it gone throughout the big maintenance cycle." A PPI should largely answer this question. Is yes, or mostly, and the oil leak is the drain then this might be a good deal if it is the color and options you are looking for
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #3

Garage
I am fairly sure that you can find other boxsters priced like that, that do not leak. I would keep looking, also these cars are well built the only real difference between 60k and 100k is slightly more warn leather and a water pump. Contact this seller to ask if the waterpump has been replaced yet because it is likely to go soon if not. I would suggest a similarly priced boxster with more miles but no leaks. A BIG bonus would be finding one with a glass rear window.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #4

That's not a bad looking car and doesn't look abused to me. Cosmetically, outside of the bumper, I see normal wear. Heck, the shifter on my 2000S looks worse than this one. I doesn't mean the car hasn't been cared for, I know mine has.

The car has a maintenace schedule that lists items that should be inspected and replace at 60K miles. None of the items are terrible, nor hard to do yourself if you are so inclined. I would ask for records of maintenance performed during the sellers ownership.

Rotors, pads etc. should be accounted for they will result in a $300-$$600 bill to renew.
Source of oil leak is a big one from a money differential standpoint.
If the oil leak is the RMS, you will be looking at ~$2k worth of work as it is the most cost effective time to replace clutch and IMS bearing. If flywheel needs to be replaced, add ~$700.

The bumper is not a big deal...I've had front bumpers repaired (stone chips) and repainted for under $500.

Go look it over and drive it. You have nothing to lose, except you will really want a Boxster once you've driven one!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #5

Garage
That's a good looking car for the money. Service history is everything. If he's kept up with the maintenance then it may be a good buy. Especially with the upgraded top...you don't know how much you're gonna appreciate that rear defroster and ability to drop the top and not have to boxster chop the ccrap out of it. If its a simple fix to stop the oil leak, I say go for it.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Those seats look awfully ruff for only 63k miles, which means the owner rarely if ever used leather conditioner or never opted for a car wash that included it. That in addition to the bumper damage and leak, would make me very concerned about how well they too care of the car.

A leak that hasn't been taken care of immediate sends up a red flag, that perhaps the owner knows it is going to be an expensive repair and would rather sell it, than maintain it.

You should be able to find a well taken care of 986, for under $12k, which would probably be more cost effective than buying it and immediately spending $2-3k on repairs. Just something to consider.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #7

Be VERY careful! The owner looks like he might be a troll if he lives under a cloverleaf.

Seriously, the car has a few faults but what 15 yr old car doesn't?

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote