Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #1

Newbie here, hiyas all!

Just joined the forum recently and wanted to say hi.

I'm not an owner yet. I wanted a Porsche when I was a child and it just recently percolated up to the front of my consciousness. Quite surprising, actually.

Hope to become an owner in the near future, but in the meantime, I love reading all your posts.

cheers.

manx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
bmussatti

manx, now would be a great time to get your Boxster! You should look into getting a new leftover 2005. There are many in the northeast coast. In MD there are at least 8, NJ has 17 and CT has 6. FYI.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:56 AM   #3

Question

Thanks guuys. May not be able to swing a purchase quite yet, but...

What's the difference between a 2005 and a 2006?

and where do you guys search for inventory (apart from the obvious method of going to each porsche dealer site)?

Thanks again.
manx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:09 AM   #4
bmussatti

manx, the best way to see inventory (for me at least) is searching through the dealer links from Porsche's web site. If you really have interest in one, call them, because not everyone keeps them updated daily. Many dealers list good photos too.

Porsche's "pre-owned" search is pretty good too, but these are only Porsches at actual Porsche dealers.

The only difference between the 2005 and 2006, that I am aware of, is the "smart seat" function in the passsangers side air bag. Oh yea, and the 2006 had a 3% ($1,200-$1,600) price increase over the 2005!!
Old 02-13-2006, 05:39 AM   #5

Looking for a “leftover” 05 has merit, presuming the 06 doesn’t offer anything over the 05 that you will need. Hooking one for 10-15% below MSRP will mean you have already taken depreciation on the car that is, in effect, 100% new. Besides the savings off the purchase price, more may be realized in the cost registration and insurance as well. That said, take your time and get it right, and get as much car as you can afford; you won’t be disappointed.

Just a suggestion…good luck on the hunt!

p.s. Welcome to the forum. These guys are pretty good around here.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:52 AM   #6

Pretty good?

We're great! Just ask any of us.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:56 AM   #7

Welcome aboard. Since you have time before your purchase, my advice is to drive demo and used Boxsters and then to drive some more. As you do this, you get a real time education on how the Box will be for you, what features you like and miss on the demo car. This will shape you likes and dislikes and help you buy the perfect Boxster (for you!).

Our forum members will help educate you, certainly to the point that you know more about the Box than most Porsche sales personnel.

Best of luck!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 12:26 PM   #8

Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manx
What's the difference between a 2005 and a 2006?
The '05 was an 80% new model, so the '06 is the '05 with one year's worth of bugs worked out.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote