Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #1

Bypassing MOST system

Ok guys, trying to get some ideas. I've been looking all over various forums but can't seem to find what I want.

First - I have an 04 anniversary edition, so I don't wat to make any changes that can't be undone. I want to be able to put all stock gear back in if I decide to sell it.

2nd - I have the MOST system with Bose.

I'm trying to find anyone that might have put in a new system. What I am considering is installing a new head unit, amp and new speakers. I will leave all fiber optic links in place and I plan to use the speaker cable already in place.

I really need a head unit that can play my iPod and charge it. I already have a new Pioneer media player, and I would love to make it work. I did see some photos of a car with mini amplifiers installed near the battery, but I can't seem to find them again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jason

TxAgs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:07 AM   #2
I am my own mechanic....

I have same car, Bose premium sound system. Had a new amp and Alpine installed, connects with Bluetooth. Sounds fantastic, using stock speaks and the subwoofer box made for the car. Since it's FO, that is all abandoned and new wires from head to amp are needed. Then from amp out, same wires. New amp goes where old amp was. I was not concerned with making stereo back to stock but saved the Cd holder, radio, and amp in case next guy wants it. They had one hell of a time getting the engine noise out of it, said these cars are tough to get the engine noise filtered out without putting filters on the channels which takes sound away.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
I have same car, Bose premium sound system. Had a new amp and Alpine installed, connects with Bluetooth. Sounds fantastic, using stock speaks and the subwoofer box made for the car.
So, how did they deal with the low impedance of the Bose speakers? Specifically, the subs?
Old 02-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #4
I am my own mechanic....

Gosh, over my head. I'll post a pic of amp and one other new devise they added.

What I can say is the sub box is controlled by the subwoofer settings in the head, and can easily thump to where it rattles more than I can stand. It gets loud!!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Gosh, over my head. I'll post a pic of amp and one other new devise they added.

What I can say is the sub box is controlled by the subwoofer settings in the head, and can easily thump to where it rattles more than I can stand. It gets loud!!
Any photos would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

No comments on the dust, please. Gotta detail the trunks!!

I'll take an interior in a few when I'm out there.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #7

Thanks a ton!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #8

Timco,

Is that 2 amps? I completely get the big rockford amp. What's the little guy?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:

No comments on the dust, please. Gotta detail the trunks!!

I'll take an interior in a few when I'm out there.
Sorry to jump in Timco, what model is that amp & have you any closer pictures of the smaller device (terminals) ?

Looking to bypass the MOST system & put a new head unit in with all the modern needs

Thanks

Dan
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #10

Making good progress!

Removed all hardware and left wiring in place. I chose a media player HU which leaves a ton of space to leave wiring in dash.

I chose a 5ch Alpine amp. Next challenge will be to figure out crossovers. I'll post a write up when I'm finished.
2004 Boxster S Anniversary Edition #1540 - My daily driver
2012 Mini Countryman S - Her daily driver
1966 Ford Mustang - Son's daily driver in 2026
Old 02-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #11

Following this thread guys. Still debating if its worth all the trouble to remove this system. My radio is fine, but who listens to the radio? Ipod and cellphone hook up is what I'm after. Best option I came across was sending your radio to becker to have the cable wired nto the back. Right now I'm just listening to the exhaust.

Heard from others that the latest FM modulators are better now. Back up camera and a 7inch screen would be nice though.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:17 AM   #12

It is definitely worth it so far. I got dash speakers and door speakers hooked up yesterday. It sounds so much better.

I suggest getting a good 5 channel amp. On the Alpine V70, there are crossovers for each pair of channels. So, I can tune the speakers a bit more.

I'm going to do a bit of a longer write up on this project soon.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:52 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAgs986 View Post
It is definitely worth it so far. I got dash speakers and door speakers hooked up yesterday. It sounds so much better.

I suggest getting a good 5 channel amp. On the Alpine V70, there are crossovers for each pair of channels. So, I can tune the speakers a bit more.

I'm going to do a bit of a longer write up on this project soon.
Hi how are you assigning the 5 channels & do you have the rear bose setup,

Are you running the door subs & rear subs off the same channel ?

Ta

Dan
Old 02-13-2014, 06:03 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
Following this thread guys. Still debating if its worth all the trouble to remove this system. My radio is fine, but who listens to the radio? Ipod and cellphone hook up is what I'm after. Best option I came across was sending your radio to becker to have the cable wired nto the back. Right now I'm just listening to the exhaust.

Heard from others that the latest FM modulators are better now. Back up camera and a 7inch screen would be nice though.
Check out Pedro's garage. He's now offering a Blue Tooth application for steaming music and hands free telephone.

I am not affiliated in any way.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post

Better make sure about sending your radio to Becker. I researched this and they tap into the phone input for the radio...your input will not be stereo. If I can find the thread again I'll post it.

I'm going to go one of two ways on my 2003S with Bose.
1. Replace HU and amp
or
2. Try the Sccosche adapter that connects into the antenna. Its a modulator but its also a direct connection so there is no problem with any adjacent radio stations.

Given that Bluetooth audio is not CD quality (although I love the wireless connectivity), the Scosche may not be a bad compromise. Also, I'm confident I will be able to connect a bluetooth receiver to the Scosche adapter and achieve wireless connectivity with the Bose system.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
2. Try the Sccosche adapter that connects into the antenna. Its a modulator but its also a direct connection so there is no problem with any adjacent radio stations.

Given that Bluetooth audio is not CD quality (although I love the wireless connectivity), the Scosche may not be a bad compromise. Also, I'm confident I will be able to connect a bluetooth receiver to the Scosche adapter and achieve wireless connectivity with the Bose system.
Let us know if you go this route, I'll be interested to see your results.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #17

Garage
I've gone route 1 & have a Pioneer double din unit on the way with the eurospeed facia kit, just trying to find info on which amp & how set it up, hopefully get it started next Thursday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2014, 04:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by danch View Post
Hi how are you assigning the 5 channels & do you have the rear bose setup,

Are you running the door subs & rear subs off the same channel ?

Ta

Dan
Dan,

I have done the following- dash speakers are routed to front, door speakers are routed to rear, the sub is routed the sub. The only weird part was routing the little rear speakers in the enclosure to the dash. I did this to utilize the crossover. These speakers are tied together so I ran in bridged mode across ch1 and ch2.

Now I just need to learn more about tuning this crossover.

Jason