Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #1

Completely misjudged. Now what to do?

I'm sure I'm not alone with this one. Living in the central part of the country, we have had a much harder winter than the last 10 years. I have never "winterized" my boxster, other than keeping it on a charger. In the past winters we get a few nice days, 40 to 60 degrees, that we can get the car out and go for a cruise or even take a daily trip. Well that changed this year!

It has been snowy and COLD for weeks and it looks like there is no end in sight for at least another few weeks. The car has not been out for a month and may not for another month. I refuse to take it out with slush and salt everywhere.

Is there anything I should do at this point or just leave it alone. Should I put gas preservative, more air in tires, start it and let it warm up. It only has a half a tank of gas.

Any suggestions.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
still plays with cars...

Garage
At this point, I'd probably just top up the tank with fuel and some fuel stabilizer and pump up the tires a bit.
I don't start mine all winter, it just rests up for the upcoming driving season.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #3

Garage
2-3 months is no big deal. Just wait til you can drive it enough to get it fully warmed up to operating temp. Visual check on tire psi is ok, when you start engine verify psi while car is running & add air as needed.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I will try to get it out to fill tank soon. I'll park it and wait for a decent day to give it a workout.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 View Post
start it and let it warm up.
DO NOT DO THIS. You'll not get it hot enough to warm up the exhaust and the moisture that is generated when you first start will sit in your exhaust and not evaporate.

As Byprodriver said, 2-3 mo is not enough time to be an issue. Hang in there, it's almost March.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
DO NOT DO THIS. You'll not get it hot enough to warm up the exhaust and the moisture that is generated when you first start will sit in your exhaust and not evaporate.

As Byprodriver said, 2-3 mo is not enough time to be an issue. Hang in there, it's almost March.
Worse yet, partially warming the car up will help to trap moisture in the oil, forming acids and attacking the metal surfaces while further degrading the oil.

If you cannot warm the car up and drive it at highway speeds for at least 20 min., don't bother to start it at all..............
Old 02-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Worse yet, partially warming the car up will help to trap moisture in the oil, forming acids and attacking the metal surfaces while further degrading the oil.

If you cannot warm the car up and drive it at highway speeds for at least 20 min., don't bother to start it at all..............
Thanks JFP. I'll just let it set. Hopefully this brutal winter will calm down within a couple of weeks and I can take it for a long run.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #8

I am sure it is just a matter of using a different word to describe the same thing, but you want a battery tender not a battery charger. The former is computer controlled and keeps the battery in optimum condition. I leave my cars on battery tenders for about 5 months. A full tank with fuel stabilizer is good, as mentioned. As far as tires, I used to inflate them to the level Porsche says and then every two weeks or so push the car (not on the paint work) so that the tires are not resting on the same spot. I have since purchased Tire Cradles for every car we store, don't have to inflate or move the cars and no flat spots after years of using them.
2011 BMW 335ix Coupe, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1960 VW Type 1, 1962 VW Type 2 Truck
AP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post

Thanks for posting this. Now I know!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
Beginner

Garage
If you feel like you have to do something for penance, roll the engine over to top dead center to unload the valve springs.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:57 PM   #11

...and stuff rags in your pipes to keep condensation OUT.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP328 View Post
I am sure it is just a matter of using a different word to describe the same thing, but you want a battery tender not a battery charger. The former is computer controlled and keeps the battery in optimum condition. I leave my cars on battery tenders for about 5 months. A full tank with fuel stabilizer is good, as mentioned. As far as tires, I used to inflate them to the level Porsche says and then every two weeks or so push the car (not on the paint work) so that the tires are not resting on the same spot. I have since purchased Tire Cradles for every car we store, don't have to inflate or move the cars and no flat spots after years of using them.
It is on a tender, not a charger. Thanks for the comments.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #13

So sad!

I feel so bad for all of you guys having to park the Boxster for weeks or months. It is such a thrill driving her everyday. As my daily driver here in Florida I could see having Seasonal Affective Disorder having a different cause. Boxster deprivation.
opus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
I feel so bad for all of you guys having to park the Boxster for weeks or months. It is such a thrill driving her everyday. As my daily driver here in Florida I could see having Seasonal Affective Disorder having a different cause. Boxster deprivation.
I wrote to a local weatherman and told him because of his stupid wrong forecast, I missed like 2 days of driving time.

(Knew him for years)
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus69 View Post
...absence makes the heart grow fonder...