Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #1

Car Audio Question

I bought the original that used to be sold as an option (PNA kit?) from Ebay. I was really excited until the guy from Best Buy Car Audio said that I wouldn't be able to hook it up to an after market radio.
I currently have a Pioneer Radio, the HAES amp but its not being used nor hooked.
Was the guy BS'ing me because he didn't want to go thru the trouble of wiring it?
And how can I get it to work?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #2

Garage
I believe what you have only works with Bose components. Search Bose stereo on the forum for more info.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #3

BS on BB. You can make this work if you want.

That unit was part of the Bose system installed in 03 and 04. There are two small "full range" speakers and two "woofers" (yeah, 4 inch woofers) and a wave guide to make the woofers sound bigger than they really are. Its the same stuff Bose has been selling forever.

There are no amplifiers involved here, just some passive speakers, most likely 2 ohm. Again, no big deal. Go to a real audio installer with a decent reputation and they will be able to get this to work. You may not be able to use the factory amp but that is no big deal as after market amps to drive these speakers are relatively inexpensive.

Just have another shop take a look at it. They'll be able to help you.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
I bought the original that used to be sold as an option (PNA kit?) from Ebay. I was really excited until the guy from Best Buy Car Audio said that I wouldn't be able to hook it up to an after market radio.
I currently have a Pioneer Radio, the HAES amp but its not being used nor hooked.
Was the guy BS'ing me because he didn't want to go thru the trouble of wiring it?
And how can I get it to work?

Yes, you can get this to work with any aftermarket deck. There's nothing that great about it though. I have the same "upgrade" speaker box you have pictured in my 04 and I'm using it for nothing other than a mold to cast a fiberglass enclosure out of to house 2x Kicker 40CWRT672 CompRT shallow-mount 6-3/4" woofers and 2x Infinity Reference 3032cf 3.5-Inch Two-Way Loudspeaker. The difference between the stock unit and what I'm building is like the difference between a 2nd grader's paper airplane and a F-22 Raptor.