Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #1

Yet another IMS question

I know I'm a noob around here, but yes, I did try and search for this answer. I've been a member of too many car forums!

So, the 2004 Boxster S I just purchased has 47k miles on the car. At 20k in 2007, the IMS failed on the original engine. Porsche warrantied it out and replaced the engine.

How worried do I really need to be about having another IMS failure? Did they do any new engineering to the bearings that might have gone into the new engine in 2007?

Thanks for the info!

Jason

TxAgs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #2

no they did not . all depends on what motor they put back in . might be a later motor with the jumbo bearing that can not be replaced . i would not worry about it and just drive it like you stole it . Just change the oil every 5k with a good oil .
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAgs986 View Post
I know I'm a noob around here, but yes, I did try and search for this answer. I've been a member of too many car forums!

So, the 2004 Boxster S I just purchased has 47k miles on the car. At 20k in 2007, the IMS failed on the original engine. Porsche warrantied it out and replaced the engine.

How worried do I really need to be about having another IMS failure? Did they do any new engineering to the bearings that might have gone into the new engine in 2007?

Thanks for the info!

Jason
Any Porsche reman engine installed after 2005 carries the oversized non serviceable IMS bearing that cannot be changed without taking the engine apart.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #4

I bet I have the remanufactured engine because my 2001 base seems to have plenty of pep or torque. Pedro told me the original car is underpowered and he recommends I purchase the TechnoTorque2. When I bought the car the agent for the owner said the engine had been replaced by Porsche. I would like to know some particulars. The TT2 won't hurt anyway and I did enjoy my phone time with Pedro.
1080Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:00 PM   #5

Since you have the newer larger bearing I would not worry about it. Though there is a lot of information, some of it conflicting, my understanding is the newer bearing is not subject to a significant failure rate….or at least to the point that there are bigger worries to focus on. Congrats and enjoy!
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #6

This is good to hear! I need to dig in and check the engine number before I worry any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Any Porsche reman engine installed after 2005 carries the oversized non serviceable IMS bearing that cannot be changed without taking the engine apart.
TxAgs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080Z View Post
I bet I have the remanufactured engine because my 2001 base seems to have plenty of pep or torque. Pedro told me the original car is underpowered and he recommends I purchase the TechnoTorque2. When I bought the car the agent for the owner said the engine had been replaced by Porsche. I would like to know some particulars. The TT2 won't hurt anyway and I did enjoy my phone time with Pedro.
If the engine was replaced by Porsche, it will have the letters "AT" (designates remanufactured or "Austauschmotor") in the engine serial number.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 01-28-2014 at 05:29 PM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote