Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #1

Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3

Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Michelin Tires

Probably too late for anyone to be buying tires for this winter, but I thought I'd give a review anyway. All the "it won't work, you have to have snow tires" naysayers said not to use all season tires in winter where it snows. Well, I live in Jackson Hole, Wy., and it snows here, and it gets cold! I've been driving my 2003 S all winter so far with my new Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3s with no problems. It had Pilot Super Sports when I bought it. They were truly horrible on snow. The issue I had was that I didn't want to switch tires twice a year, or have 2 sets of rims, especially since I might be taking trips to Arizona, California and Oregon during winter, where I have relatives. Also, it can snow any month of the year here, and often does from Sept. until May. Do you mount snow tires in Sept. and remove them in May? I have a pickup truck for when it gets really bad. For the rest of the time, the AS/3s work fine. Sure, something like Blizzaks (or studded snow tires, or for Pete's sake, chains) would be better when the snow gets deep or the roads get truly icy, but with intelligent driving, the AS/3s are no problem. 90% of the winter our roads are dry, since we have a lot of snowplows. Of course you need to be really conservative braking, accelerating and cornering on packed snow or ice, but that's true with snow tires too! On dry and warmer roads they feel every bit as good as the Super Sports did, maybe even with a little smoother ride with more precise steering. YMMV.

Bring on the flames; it was 0° F here this AM!

P.S. My downhill and randonee skis fit inside just fine :dance:!

Last edited by Joe B; 01-24-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #2

There are many levels of competence on the road and for some it's a necessity to have full snows while for others it's not worth the hassle. Having said that, I prefer having the most grip I can afford.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
There's more snow on your driveway than California has seen all winter - really. No, really. It's awful. Glad your tires are working out, too bad about that front license plate! :/
Old 01-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #4

I just recently took a chance and put these tires on the front of my 2007 Boxster S, and so far I've been quite pleased. My motivation was primarily that the Sport PS2 is absurdly expensive and lasts half as long, possibly less. I don't live in a snowy area (interestingly we're covered by snow right now, and I'm not going to try driving in it) but I just could not justify the PS2 with the short life expectancy, plus these AS/3s will hopefully do better in the rain.

Still running the PS2s on the back and they have a good bit of life left in them, but if these work out well for the front I'll slap them on the back once the PS2s are worn. I'm curious how yours do long-term so please keep us updated!
2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
I just recently took a chance and put these tires on the front of my 2007 Boxster S, and so far I've been quite pleased. My motivation was primarily that the Sport PS2 is absurdly expensive and lasts half as long, possibly less. I don't live in a snowy area (interestingly we're covered by snow right now, and I'm not going to try driving in it) but I just could not justify the PS2 with the short life expectancy, plus these AS/3s will hopefully do better in the rain.

Still running the PS2s on the back and they have a good bit of life left in them, but if these work out well for the front I'll slap them on the back once the PS2s are worn. I'm curious how yours do long-term so please keep us updated!
Don't drive in heavy rain. Squirrely machine!
Old 01-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Don't drive in heavy rain. Squirrely machine!
Haha - yeah, I'm very careful and thanks. To be perfectly honest I was always a little surprised at how well the PS2s (even with the old, worn pair up front) gripped in the wet, but I don't push it in those conditions. It's my daily driver so sometimes downpours are unavoidable.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:20 PM   #7

I was just thinking about this debate when I saw all those hundreds of stranded cars in Atlanta, dozens of accidents.... in a whopping 2 inches of snow. My guess is that nearly all were on all season tires.

A-all seasons in snow require a driver to have some skill, a job that would be a piece of cake in winter tires
B- all season tires are only marginally better than summer rubber once you hit ice patches. It's not really about the snow.
C- the Atlanta debacle underlines how quickly conditions can get away from what an all season can handle. A matter of minutes.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-29-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
My guess is that nearly all were on all season tires.
My guess is that they were all crappy drivers with no clue about how to drive in icy conditions, and even winter tires aren't going to help most of them.

Winter tires are a relatively new thing, and we all got by just fine on all-seasons for decades before they came along. I have no doubt they have better grip under the right conditions, but are they necessary? Not at all, and I'm not about to buy (and store) a second set of wheels for the slight advantage they may give.

I have the Michelin all season tires on my car, and they have worked well in dry, wet, and snowy conditions. Great tires. The only problem I'm having is that they are now about 5 years 40k km old and they have gotten quite hard, even though there is lots of tread left. They really went over the cliff in the last year but before that they were excellent. I could still get another season out of them if I wanted to, just need to go a little lighter on the throttle coming out of corners.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #9

^ My winter tires are nearly 4 years old but are in PERFECT condition.
Winter tires are a win win. Significantly safer in the winter while exending the shelf life of your pricey summer/spring performance tire.

And I disagree completely about winter tires not helping those Atlanta drivers that spun off in barely 2" of snow.
Wrong tread pattern -- no bite on ice. They slide.
Most on AS tires drive slow in these conditions but don't know how to use the pedals. A winter tire at slow speed makes it much, much easier for them.
I've done both. It's night and day.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-30-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #10
I am my own mechanic....

Great tires.....

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #11

I think Timco's showing off!
Old 01-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #12
recycledsixtie

Garage

This is the tread of my latest winter tires - namely the Pirellis winter sottozero . Note the none symetrical tread pattern. Winter tires reduce my insurance rates.Less spinning out on corners when I hit the gas. Way better than the symetrical Blizzaks.

Won't be putting on the Michelin pilot sport a/s until late April. They were not that good in snow/ice last fall. Feel better with snow tires on.....be warned!
Guy
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #13
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #14

Quote:
For good reason. I don't think my car has been that clean since I bought it.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM   #15

"Better than Blizzacks"... that's saying something because they're excellent tires.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:08 PM   #16
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
"Better than Blizzacks"... that's saying something because they're excellent tires.
Let me qualify that.
My new pirelli snow tires are better than my old Blizzaks(6 yo hockey pucks?). Whether the new Blizzaks have the non symetrical tread I don't know.
Cheers, Guy.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #17

oh right, thanks.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #18
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
No type of tire works well on wet ice, studs are required but are now outlawed in most states.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 AM   #19

It only take one stupid and/or drunk driver for you to test the emergency lane change and/or braking capability of your all season tires in snow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvyPtYR0Y

Last edited by ekam; 02-04-2014 at 07:29 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
No type of tire works well on wet ice, studs are required but are now outlawed in most states.
agreed. But a winter tire is still miles ahead of an all season over ice. As much as full car length stopping distance in the test below, with controlled cornering. And one car length is all the difference in the world. Most winter driving accidents would be avoided with that much leeway.

see the 2:09 mark below.
Tire Rack Tire Test - Winter/Snow vs. All-Season vs. Summer Tires on Ice - YouTube

traditionally we only get half a dozen snow falls in this area, but icing we get all the time.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-04-2014 at 07:36 AM.