Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

Which bodystyle do you like the best?

We might be a bit biased on here, but which do you like the most?

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #2

I have a 1997 986 base model. Boxster's have under gone the same development progression as the 911.

The early (under powered) Boxster is a momentum sports car and is a rawer drive then newer iterations. I had a 1973 2.0L 914 and I would add this car at the beginning of the boxster model list, very much the first boxster.

Like all Porsche's newer is better in many ways but if you have owned any early series Porsche they all have the seat of the pants sports car drive that can start you down the isle with the Porsche brand.

My brother-in-law bought a 2006 (987) Boxster after driving mine and the refinements make the car more comfortable and easier to drive but my 986 compels me to squeeze the juice out of it by driving in a sports car mode all day long.

Would I buy a 981, hell yes!!!
tsunamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #3

A lot of Porsche for the money ($8,500)

tsunamiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #4

I actually wish there was a fourth, one that was one step more retro than the 986 Boxster. Make the fenders flare out more but keep the freid egg LMP headlights.
(see pic below for inspiration). I'd love to see an aftermarket kit sorta like what Singer has done with their clay modeling for their Carreras.

Everything after 986 is becoming more and more 'flattened'.
Eventually it will become a mini Corvette!

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-10-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have always favored the 986, for body style (not necessarily mechanically). It was designed to be a throwback to the 550 and I think it succeeds. I have always felt the redesigns have moved away from the original design ideal, and 'tacked things on' to make it 'new.'
Old 01-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #6

[QUOTE=Perfectlap;380346]I actually wish there was a fourth, one that was one step more retro than the 986 Boxster. Make the fenders flare out more but keep the freid egg LMP headlights.
(see pic below for inspiration). I'd love to see an aftermarket kit sorta like what Singer has done with their clay modeling for their Carreras.

Everything after 986 is becoming more and more 'flattened'.
Eventually it will become a mini Corvette!

Something like this?

heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #7

Given that the question was about which body style, as opposed to which car, I think I like the 981 best, followed by the 986, and then the 987, which I don't really like at all.

Now, if we are going back to the "original" Boxster, then the 550 is a hands-down winner in my book. What I wouldn't give to have an hour in one of those. The 914 is cool, but I don't have any real desire to own one.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #8

Garage
I think the 986 and 987 share enough of the same DNA - one can could call it a toss-up. However, I must say, the look of the 981 is truly an advancement over previous designs. Except the Dangermobile of course.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Something like this?

needs more cowbell! the front fenders are too muted, looks like a 993 with fried eggs.

I mean removing the 986 front fenders completely. And replacing it with:
1) composite fender with an extra "15%" more flare, like the GT1 LMP pic I posted.
2) Extending the front bumper out (sort like our GT3 front bumper, but even longer).
3) Replacing the rear quarters with more prononuced hips as well, so that it bulges out sorta like the 993.
4) Using a pointier, lower-sitting rear bumper instead of the high-sitting, (] shaped 986 rear bumper.
5) definitely need side skirting, too much dead space under the doors when on 18-19" wheels.
6) adding some sort of aero shroud over the roll hoops similar to what's on the 918 Spyder that could 'targa-fy' the 986 during winter. Cool right?

If you look at what Singer did with a vanilla 911 or 964, the same maginification/backdating could be done with the 986.
It has a great base to work with, but without the GT3/aero treatment, in bone stock form the 986 looks too high on 18"s and too short up front with the stock bumper. To be fair, same thing happens with the 996 in bone stock form.

Extending the existing angles/trajectories further out and wider would completely transform the car so that it would be much closer to the '93 Boxster Concept car. I mean if you're in the business of doing this sort of thing like Singer they could make such a kick ass 986 with a simple $7K donor car. Stylistically speaking, it would be a mix between the GT1 and the 918 Spyder without having to pay $800K.

In theory, something like the RUF in this link below.
this pic really captures the degree of fender flare I would swap to in a second.
http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/gallery/gallery_black_ruf_ctr3/gallery_black_ruf_ctr3_001.jpg

http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/gallery/gallery_black_ruf_ctr3/gallery_black_ruf_ctr3_006.jpg
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-10-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #10

2002 and earlier model years (preferably an S), Cleanest Looking buy far IMO. Buy one on the cheap, put a new LN IMS Bearing in along with a water pump and GAHH glass rear window top in it, you are set.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #11

Garage
Always love the 986, but the 981 really is a nice improvement.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #12

I love my 986, looks dang nice. Having said that, how can anyone not like the look of the new Boxster? Love the air intakes that are sculpted thru the doors and into the intakes, just a thing of beauty.
Actually all of them look pretty dang sweet in my book. I wouldn't ******************** about having any of them.

I feel fortunate to own a 2001 with only 33K miles on it and so far no signs of IMS problems, bought it on the cheap a few months back. First owner was total anal about it and it is in basically mint conditon, actually has never been out overnight unless it had a cover on it (I knew the first owner for over 30 years). So I ain't ********************in with my 986, looks cool, looks classy and is a blast to drive. So whatever model you have, enjoy it for what it is.
Slate 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:09 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Newer models will always look better at the time they come out because of updated styling. In a few years, they will also look dated.

I still prefer the original 986. Everything afterwards is softer in search of appealing to a wider demographic, and I fear, this will continue to be the trend.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #14

mr. lap - if you tour through the air website, they have the rear flares:

American International Racing

and the front flares:

Jacemond also make a nice widebody kit:

http://www.jacquemond.com/gt27.jpg

rockers there are many, but the gemballa captures the ruf rk, which does the 904 thing quite well:

Gemballa Porsche Boxster s GT New Side Skirts with Air Intake 50 Discount | eBay

http://www.cartype.com/pics/3634/full/ruf_rk_cayman_rs1.jpg

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/2865/RUF-RK-Spyder_1.jpg

many choices for tasteful front bumper upgrade. roofs, however, are limited. i'm a fan of the zeintop, but the dmoris unit is nice also. I wish someone would make a top that replaced the tonneau to give the car a fastback appearance, but kept the rear trunk in place (the dmoris almost does this, but it sits on top of the tonneau and looks a bit tacked on as a result):

http://www.9legend.fr/upload/117/600/1/3/2048.jpg

beware your targa idea, as you might start heading in boxster Carrera gt kit car territory:

http://www.evocars-magazin.de/wp-content/gallery/porsche-boxster-carrera-gt-verkauf-2012/porsche-boxster-carrera-gt-mobile-2012-7.jpg
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #15

The best thing about the 986 is that you have a car designed in the 1990s that doesn't look like a '90s car.

http://imgur.com/a/k0Wtl - My 914-6 Build/Project Story
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
We might be a bit biased on here, but which do you like the most?
Porsche guys done it right. Only details I wasn't flattered about was the headlights and side vents on the 986. Beautiful car. 987 was a nice update. Love the lights and side vents. Interior much improved but still a little raw. That 981 is a bastard. Everything I want in my boxster Nice progression.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Newer models will always look better at the time they come out because of updated styling. In a few years, they will also look dated.

I still prefer the original 986. Everything afterword's is softer in search of appealing to a wider demographic, and I fear, this will continue to be the trend.
I agree with thstone except the 987 never appealed to me in any way! I drove a 2005 2.7L today & everything feels over insulated. I liked the 981 on 1st sight & that's rare for me. Now that I've been behind a few on the road I'm not liking the rear.

I believe the timeless classic design of the 986 will be popular the longest.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
mr. lap - if you tour through the air website, they have the rear flares:

and the front flares:

Jacemond also make a nice widebody kit:

http://www.jacquemond.com/gt27.jpg

rockers there are many, but the gemballa captures the ruf rk, which does the 904 thing quite well:

Gemballa Porsche Boxster s GT New Side Skirts with Air Intake 50 Discount | eBay

http://www.cartype.com/pics/3634/full/ruf_rk_cayman_rs1.jpg

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/2865/RUF-RK-Spyder_1.jpg

many choices for tasteful front bumper upgrade. roofs, however, are limited. i'm a fan of the zeintop, but the dmoris unit is nice also. I wish someone would make a top that replaced the tonneau to give the car a fastback appearance, but kept the rear trunk in place (the dmoris almost does this, but it sits on top of the tonneau and looks a bit tacked on as a result):

http://www.9legend.fr/upload/117/600/1/3/2048.jpg

beware your targa idea, as you might start heading in boxster Carrera gt kit car territory:

http://www.evocars-magazin.de/wp-content/gallery/porsche-boxster-carrera-gt-verkauf-2012/porsche-boxster-carrera-gt-mobile-2012-7.jpg
I can't thank you enough for posting all these great pics/offerings! I like the wide-body with 911 ROUND headlights best!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #19

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
I thought those boxsters looked familiar here are some more shots from that

day

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
What kind of rack is that on the 981? It looks like it is for a bike, but I am curious as to how it mounts.