Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Unhappy After-market glass window top not fitting?

Happy New Year y'all!

I have an 02 Boxster that we just replaced the top on. The old vinyl window was shot and we decided it was a good move from the feedback on this forum and a few shops we talked to.

It was supposed to fit fine, but now that it is in there the top doesn't fold down completely. Once the range is cleared and it engages the sensors, the pop-up cover is sitting about a half inch or so above the rear fenders that it has always been flush with.

Has this happened to anyone before? The shop I chose in Huntington Beach is telling me that now they have to remove some of the engine cover foam to make it fit and I'm saying WHOA! I don't want them screwing anything up. Is this just a bad top? They assured me it was a GAHH A5 but didn't buy it from them directly, apparently.

Let me know if these guys are taking me for a ride.

soggyinmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #2

the only "problem" i had from replacing my top was that it was harder to close and latch since the fabric hasn't had 10 years to stretch. opening is fine and it fits in the same area as the old top just fine, top cover has no problem getting down and flush.

01, replaced with GAHH top with glass window

i wouldn't let them cut anything from anywhere.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Get a second opinion from GAHH directly. My GAHH top fits fine with no cutting.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:25 AM   #4

Garage
Same here, GAHH top fits and works great. Had it replaced last spring. Good move.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:58 AM   #5

Soggyinmilk:

Your installer got something wrong during installation. There would be no reason to cut away foam of any kind to compensate for the clamshell. They made a mistake somewhere and if they are competent enough should be able to remedy it. Search for threads regarding clamshells not closing and see if anything matches up. It's not the top, it's the install.
driftguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #6

I have no particular experiences with GAHH tops but added more aftermarket parts to my 986 than genuine Porsche parts. All I can tell you is "fit" in the aftermarket terms doesn't always mean "perfect fit".

What I am trying to say is 'most' aftermarket parts that you will install will need an adjustment or two to fit perfectly. I don't think the guys are taking you for a ride, and removing the foam until the top have broken/stretched sounds like a pretty genuine solution in your case.

I have a feeling that you will need to fold down the top a few times for it to settle. Make sure you manually help it for the first few top downs... kinda making sure it folds at the right place every time.

Luck. That top is important!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:26 PM   #7

GAAH glass window top on mine and it closes fine. They messed up. Have them call GAAH. They are a dealer, right.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #8

Don't remove or cut the foam!! Big bucks to replace...as much as your top! Your new top should fold flat without issue.

Verify weather the top is truly keeping the clamshell from closing or is the transmission alignment messed up a bit.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #9

Which shop is this?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #10

Do you have a headliner?

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convertible , glass , top