Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #1

986 Steering Wheel Tilt

Ok so my girlfriend just got her 99 Boxster, with only 31k on it. I swear this is the best looking 99 car I have seen. Anywho, I was wondering what people where doing with these cars as far as retrofitting other Porsche columns to fit the 986s. I know in the Bimmer world we have options. Seeing as I am new to the game I decided to sign up here first and ask the vets. I am quite aware of how involved these change-overs can be, not new to it. The steering wheel is hitting her legs and mine as well. Not very comfy, all we get is telescoping adjustment. I though I might have saw something about a 911 column fitting but I could be mistaken. Anyways, any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

JonTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #2

You are correct that the only steering wheel adjustment is telescoping. However, I assume you also know that there is a vertical adjustment for the seat so that you can lower it if the steering wheel is hitting your legs.
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #3

Well the thing is she is really short and has to have the seat up all the way. She is only about 5'3". This is her car and not mine.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have never heard of a retrofit for the steering column to add a vertical adjustment, it would probably be complicated and expensive if it was possible. If her knees are hitting, I would image the issue is her torso is too low in the seat, not that the seat does not go up high enough. Do you have electric or manual seats?

If you have electric seats, you can turn the horizontal control like a key and raise the back and lower the front of the seat, while maintaing about the same height. I would image that would solve the problem. Not sure about mechanically adjusted seats. Did she sit in the car before buying it?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #5

Well I was doing some reading on this site about 30min ago and someone said that the 996 and the 986 are the same from the doors up, so that could imply that the columns may be similar as far as length and mounting. There has to be something. Her seats are electric, we will experiment tonight when she gets off work. She bought it from someone in Alabama and sent it to a Porsche dealr to have it inspected, even they were amazed by the immaculate condition of the car.

Maybe the motor stopped working for the seat that contols that?... But the car only has 31k on it which is freakin amazing! Was flipping the the posts on the "want to buy a boxster" sticky and I'm glad that her car ony has that many miles on it. Is it normal to be jealous of your girlfriends car? Lol
Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonTheGreek View Post
I though I might have saw something about a 911 column fitting but I could be mistaken.
The 996 steering column will fit a 986 no problems, but that is because they are the same part. The 996 only had telescoping adjust as well. Without major surgery there is no way to get a tilt adjust in the Boxster or the 996.
gavinyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #7

She will have to lower the seat when she gets out of the car and readjust when she gets back in.
I have had many cars that I have to do this with, my current Boxster included. Usually I have to do it to move the seat all the way back for easier ingress/egress, but its the same thing.
No need to reinvent the wheel.

evomind is offline   Reply With Quote