Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #1

Crazy Horn!!

So my horn's decided to beep whenever it feels like it. Causing dramas and agro with people around at the time. I find this extremely embarrassing and would like to have the problem fixed as soon as possible.

Any tips?

Beep Beep

Old 01-01-2014, 10:22 PM   #2

It's the frame under the airbag. Super common and cheap to repair.

(I don't know whether you have a 3 spoke or a 4 spoke steering wheel)
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #3

The 4 spoke is a 993 part:

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #4

It's a 1998 Boxster. I'm guessing it's a 3.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #5

4 spoke on the left, 3 spoke on the right..

Old 01-01-2014, 10:27 PM   #6

Typically.. the 98 has a 4 spoke. It's $78 full pop from Porsche North America. I *think* I pay $45 from the wholesaler.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #7

If 4 spoke.. you have 4 torx screws that you access from behind the wheel. Unscrew them and the air bag/center of the wheel comes out. The frame sits inside the steering wheel and "floats" the air bag.

I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!! <<<<< Am I clear??

If you decide to do this.. BEFORE you disconnect the battery, make sure you have the radio code

The torx screws can be difficult to remove. You'll have to turn the wheel depending on how long your torx screw driver is.. they are kinda buried into the back of the wheel.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #8

Now.. can you help me locate a right hand drive dash??
Old 01-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #9

Nothing? LOL I know it's 6:42 pm down there..
Old 01-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #10

Haha nothing just yet.
Thanks for the tip though.
I read somewhere that you can use a Business size card,fold it in half and stick it between something.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 AM   #11
Usercpy

Garage
Here's a great DIY video:

Porsche 986/996 Indicator Stalk Replacement
Porsche 986/996 Indicator Stalk Replacement - YouTube
Old 01-02-2014, 04:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by More View Post
It's a 1998 Boxster. I'm guessing it's a 3.
It's your car, you drive it, and you have to guess?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
It's your car, you drive it, and you have to guess?
I get in trouble when I type what I'm thinking. Thanks for asking for me.. LOL

I'm *guessing* it's not his car..

and I'm guessing the owner "cant pay the freight" which means they cannot afford to own a Boxster. If they are willing to accept "a credit card" wedged between the wheel and airbag

Rare that a dealer doesn't have this part in stock.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #14

The video is pretty good!! No need to wait 10minutes after disconnecting the battery, just turn the headlight switch on (with the battery disconnected) or touch the positive cable lead to the negative cable lead. Bottom line: discharge the system.

He also mentions nothing about the radio code. MOST have lost their radio code. Call the dealer with your VIN and always have a copy of your programming codes. I keep a large 3 ring binder full of programming codes for my customer cars.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 PM   #15

Where is the horn fuse located?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #16

Best tip:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
I HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!! <<<<< Am I clear??

Unexpected airbag deployment can be startling!

Hey, More, you should do a forum search - the problem has been discussed a few times before and you may pick up some good tips from the other posts. Common problem with 4-spoke wheels.

Last edited by Mark_T; 01-03-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Now.. can you help me locate a right hand drive dash??
Brad, are you serious regarding the RHS dash ir just being yourself (again)??