Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
Yellow986S

Grinding and sticky gears

My 2nd gear and 3rd gear feel notchy and 2nd gear grinds now. It is happening pretty often now so I am worried about what the reason is.

Do I need to change the transmission oil or perhaps the motor mount? or Both?

Car has 77,000 on the clock.

The shifting was never extremely smooth but it is worse than ever now and 2nd gear grinds 4 out of every 10 times i throw it in gear. I am forced to have to be extremely careful with 2nd.

Thanks for the help guys!

Yellow986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Start with a trans fluid change. Its cheap and easy.

Same for checking the shifter cables and motor/transmission mounts. All of those are easier and cheaper to replace than removing the transmission.

However, at the end of the day it might be a synchro going bad and the only fix is to repair or replace the trans. Depending on the type (5 spd or 6 spd), it can be cheaper to buy a used transmission, change the oil, and install rather than paying to have your trans opened up and repaired.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

Let's see. You are a candidate for a new motor mount, given your mileage. Any vibration or resonate issue around 3k rpm? $125 for the part. 1 hour labor.

Gear oil should be good but doesn't hurt to change it...$90 for the oil. Hour or so labor.

There is a product to handle second gear crunch..don't know if it would do you any good for the other gears (doubt it). $200 par. 1 hour labor.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Yellow986S

How do i change the transmission fluid on a 6 speed manual gearbox? is there a DIY post?

I hope its not a syncro problem. Its very weird because if I am going fast and shift at 4,000 and above the shifting is perfectly fine; however at normal rpms is where the grinding and notchiness is.

Perhaps it could be the motor mount. I am going to change the motor mount and put some new tranny fluid. If you have any DIY's for this that would be a lot of help.

Thanks stone
Old 12-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Yellow986S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Let's see. You are a candidate for a new motor mount, given your mileage. Any vibration or resonate issue around 3k rpm? $125 for the part. 1 hour labor.

Gear oil should be good but doesn't hurt to change it...$90 for the oil. Hour or so labor.

There is a product to handle second gear crunch..don't know if it would do you any good for the other gears (doubt it). $200 par. 1 hour labor.
Yes, I have a vibration and resonance around 2,600 to 3k. I have a fabspeed race exhaust so is that the cause for vibration or is it the motor mount?

Where should i purchase the new motor mount? and do i get a new motor mount or just the bushing?
thx again
Old 12-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow986S View Post
My 2nd gear and 3rd gear feel notchy and 2nd gear grinds now. It is happening pretty often now so I am worried about what the reason is.

The shifting was never extremely smooth but it is worse than ever now and 2nd gear grinds 4 out of every 10 times i throw it in gear. I am forced to have to be extremely careful with 2nd.
Stick with the basics and check your master and slave cylinders before you go changing fluids.

Double de-clutch in the meantime to avoid the crunching.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:

Stick with the basics and check your master and slave cylinders before you go changing fluids and engine mounts.

TO
Old 12-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
Yellow986S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Stick with the basics and check your master and slave cylinders before you go changing fluids and engine mounts.

TO
Where is the master and slave cylinder located?

I really need to get one of those porsche manual books.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #9

Garage
Do this first:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Differential / Manual Boxster Transmission Fluid Change - 986 / 987

Then spend some time driving and see how things are. My car has 57K and I just this tranny fluid change on Thursday. Huge difference. It's relatively easy if you can work a wrench and have a jack with a couple stands. Took me about 45 minutes and $60-$70.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Where is the master and slave cylinder located?

I really need to get one of those porsche manual books.
Wayne at Pelican Parts has a good technical article here:

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Clutch Hydraulics Overhaul (Boxster Master Cylinder & Boxster Slave Cylinder Replacement) - 986 / 987

It's part of his "101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster" manual:

Pelican Parts - Product Information: BK-145835

Check to see if any fluid is leaking from either cylinder. If they both look fine, you (or your indie) could try bleeding the system.

TO