Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #1

What would you do?

So I have been out looking for 996 TT's I may pick up an 02 with 40k miles. The problem is I don't want to get rid of my boxster as I have dumped so much money into her and because I have had her since new. I was also looking at a 99 996 that has had a fair amount of maintenance completed but no new IMS bearing, just flange. Holding onto two cars appears impractical as I'm not Jay Leno, although I like the idea of a car collection, my 986 just wouldn't get driven. I also haven't driven the 99 yet, I'm sure it's no turbo.

I was thinking of taking my car to 1800 car cash, as I have no patience to deal with countless buyers. They claim my car is worth 8500-11500. What do you guys think its worth.

2002 2.7 lapis blue graphite grey 47k miles, with psm, heated seats, and hard top, upgraded shifter handbrake

The car is in great shape paint is like new. Recently added aerokit 2 bumper and skirts
Carrera classic 18" rims with brand new Michelin pilot super sports. Rims were repainted and finished Ina high gloss on the outside and in the barrels.
I am about 8k miles into the brake pads on the original discs, recent flush with ate blue and SS brake lines.
Recently replaced the clutch, AOS, 2 chain tensioners, thermostat, water pump, performance pulley, completed 60k service, replace transmission fluid.
I also recently added an after market double din nav

The only problems with the car are a minor cam cover leak on the drivers side and the steering wheel is a little bit off center due to sloppy alignment at the shop that installed my tires.

The car had been in a minor low speed accident 5-6 years ago that dented my rear quarter panel. Cost 2500 to repair.

In any case I have an idea of what it's worth, but am curious what everyone thinks.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 12-13-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
You're in the kind of tough spot that most of us don't mind being in. It sounds like you could afford to keep both, at least for a while. You've got a nice 986, and it would be tough to get top dollar right now during winter. How about getting the other car and waiting until spring to list the 986, kind of treating the time as a long test drive?
I'm not Leno either, but I've got a 99 Carrera 4 as my DD, and the heavily modded 986 is close to being a dedicated autocross car.
Tough choice indeed!
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #3

j.fro's right, if you try to sell now you will take a bigger hit than versus waiting just a month or better until March / April. A friend of mine owns a used car lot, he said between Thanksgiving and mid-January buyers are very sparse, when tax returns start hitting things pick up.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #4

Garage
I think you're underestimating the value of your car. 1800 car cash is trying to steal it. I went to kbb.com and plugged in the info on your boxster. They came back @ $12800 (fair condition) to $13600 for excellent.

They even had a link to sell your car to them (just in case you don't want to deal with countless tire kickers).

I have an 04 with the same colors with a Sierra Beige interior. Just love the look. My personal opinion...If you can afford it. Keep it.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #5

!800 isn't "stealing" it, theyre buying it at wholesale. They still have to leave enough room to turn a profit. What the number is I don't know but if you have time and can sit on it, then you are better off selling it on your own.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:03 AM   #6

I am in the same boat. I bought my Boxster new in 2001 and have decided to move over to a 2004 or 2005 996 turbo cab. I listed the car in early November and have yet to sell it. However, I am asking top dollar for it; $23,000. If it doesn't sell for close to that I will keep it and still get the 996tt cab or coupe. $23,000 is not going to break me and I would rather keep it than let it go for less than I think it is worth.

If you can afford to keep it, do. I don't think you will regret it.

http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-sale-wanted/49380-fs-2001-porsche-boxster-s-23-200-miles-original-owner-loaded.html

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
!800 isn't "stealing" it, theyre buying it at wholesale. They still have to leave enough room to turn a profit.
Evo, I understand, but the impression I received from their offer was that it was a low ball offer. Maybe I'm just too impressed with the car itself after finally owning one that I feel that they are worth more.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #8

You're in a tough position, but unless you are in a position where you are forced into selling, why not keep the Boxster? You have a very nice car that you've put a lot of time and money in to make it unique. I say keep it.

I'm in a fortunate position (no wife, no kids, a great job and no bills), that I have a stable full (9) of Porsches. And I'm not getting rid of any of them and am looking for my next one!

I have a '99 996 C4 w/ a full Aero kit, 19" GT3 style wheels, sport seats and a whole boat load of factory options. I love it - you'll love the 996 too. Ignore anyone that bad mouths them.

But you really don't have to be Leno to have a Boxster and a 996 in your driveway, so why not have both? Split your driving time between them and you'll keep the miles off, and you'll have 2x as much fun when you take that last look of the day in your drive and see 2 Porsches! Do it!

Rick
Old 12-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

I'm no Jay Leno either - but I have three! If you can keep them both.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #10

If you want to sell you car to 1800 Car Cash the first thing I would do is take the car down there for an official quote. Sounds like the 8,500-11,500 is something they told you over the phone. On multiple occasions the quote I got over the phone or online was much different then the one I got in person. I can almost guarantee they will lowball you when you see them in person. Why will they lowball? Because lots of people take their first offer.

I would say that 1800 Car Cash will be easier than selling it in person, but that does not mean you shouldn't be prepared for some hard negotiation. My best advice is to BE FIRM and prepared to walk away if you don't like their offer.

And if your ready for a new car, go with the 996TT you'll be happy you got the turbo!

Good luck,
Old 12-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #11

I do expect 1800 cars to lowball me, that's why I'm trying to find a dealership with a turbo to sell me. I might be able to get a little more for my car if I'm trading it in for one of theirs. I have an amount I wouldn't go below as it just wouldn't make sense. I'm not a distressed seller if I don't get what I want ill just hold off on the turbo. I want it but don't drive much so am not in the biggest hurry. I would drive the turbo more as I can take the kids out since it has back seats. I'm also looking for the right price on the turbo, and everyone is about 4-5k more than what I expect to pay for a 40k mile car. I'm expecting to pay 36k, but all I'm finding is 40k firm. Found one seller with a 7k mile car looking for 52, but that's a little too rich for me.

The problem with the boxster is that it can't be priced too high as then you get into 911 c2 territory. I found a 99 911 c2 for 16k. I figure my car is worth (market value) between 10-14k. I also think 14k will be difficult to get as people don't consider the maintenance they just want to get in cheap.

I want the turbo because it is a completely different experience driving that car. I feel the 996 won't be very different.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 12-14-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
2004 Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
You're in a tough position, but unless you are in a position where you are forced into selling, why not keep the Boxster? You have a very nice car that you've put a lot of time and money in to make it unique. I say keep it.

I'm in a fortunate position (no wife, no kids, a great job and no bills), that I have a stable full (9) of Porsches. And I'm not getting rid of any of them and am looking for my next one!

I have a '99 996 C4 w/ a full Aero kit, 19" GT3 style wheels, sport seats and a whole boat load of factory options. I love it - you'll love the 996 too. Ignore anyone that bad mouths them.

But you really don't have to be Leno to have a Boxster and a 996 in your driveway, so why not have both? Split your driving time between them and you'll keep the miles off, and you'll have 2x as much fun when you take that last look of the day in your drive and see 2 Porsches! Do it!

Rick
9 Porsches! -bleeeeeep! Do you have a '58 Red Telecaster to go with those?

To the OP, +1 for keeping the Boxster. Its beautiful. If you absolutely must have a different P-car and can't keep the box, then there will be money lost somewhere.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #13

Nine Porsches is great and does qualify you for being Jay Leno (like). My garage only holds two cars, but one bay is full of junk.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #14

Those guys are buying at wholesale. Retail can be $4-$6k higher.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #15

Now's the time to buy the Turbo and sell the Boxster in the spring. TRY selling the Boxster yourself for a few months - that could save you $2-5000. Your car is an extra nice example of the breed- you have to market as such and wait until someone falls in love with it. It won't take long during spring. Sell the hardtop separate and, if you do take it to a dealer, install base wheels (if you can find a cheap set to reinstall)as they won't give you more for any extras. Trading in will cost you the most but it is definitely easiest.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #16

I put in a request for a buyout offer on kbb.com. I'm interested to see what they say. If It only costs me 2,000 I'm fine with that. I can make up most of it with the sale of the hard top. If I take a bigger hit maybe I'll keep it.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #17

If you aren't a distressed seller as you put it then don't actively attempt to sell the car until tax return season. You are already in a buyers market with any water cooled Porsche, and going to a wholesale purchaser no less, is the absolute least amount of Market leverage you'll muster. This time of year the guys at 1800 probably only deal with distressed sellers or soon to be house hunters needing cold cash for a down payment.

If I were you I would aggressively look for the Turbo, and only low mileage Turbos as this is the best time to get the lowest price for low miles. Moderate to high mileage you can score at any time since most of those owners are always anxious to get out of those before the big wave of pricey repairs come in. Low mileage owners are in no rush and youll only have some leeway during winter. but check the forums first an enthusiast Owned Porsche is always the best Porsche to buy.

As far as not being able to ask too much for your well kept Boxster because you'll be into 996 territory, that's not true at all. If someone wants a well maintained Porsche roadster, a tin top Carrera isn't going to get them that driving experience. Even if they buy a 996 Cab the handling is completely different, its a bigger heavier car with much more under steer and if its a C4 Cab there's no fixing that under steer unless you sink some big money into the car.
996's are not expensive and examples at or below $10K will be common soon. We're talking about 3k water cooled Carreras listed daily on Autotrader. If 996s were difficult to find then you could make the argument that no one would pay good money for a Boxster that's been well cared for. But both 996 and 986 are easy to source. Don't let any salesman or low ball private buyer try to use the "I can buy a C2 for what you're asking for" argument. If a 996 is what they really want then they've got no reason to be looking at well cared for Boxsters as there are infinite numbers of motivated 996 sellers. Especially now that the 997.2 Carreras have begun to come off warranty and the large delta between 997.1 and 997.2 will start to come down, pushing down all non-GT 996's in the process. The thing working against you now are 9A1 987 Boxsters coming off warranty and into the used market.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-14-2013 at 08:48 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote