Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Should I replace IMS Immediatly!
Yes, Right now! with much haste! 7 26.92%
No, maybe if the clutch needs fixin' down the road. 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #21
recycledsixtie
 
recycledsixtie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Edmonton Canada
Posts: 824
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
I don't feel very lucky :P I also want the car to last a long time. Once I get the IMS repaired, I intend on driving the car very regularly. Do you think it is a must to do the AOC and the water pump while in there? Or should I wait until next year or so...?
I was going to correct the running costs per year to $1-2k. I left the the k out!

AOS, water pump does not have to be done right away. A proactive purist would put in a new water pump right away. I am not that way inclined . How proactive do you want to be?

I think that you have your priorities right for your situation - ims, rms(rear main seal) replace and I feel that your clutch is young unless it is giving you trouble.

Read carefully what everybody has recommended. It all boils down to $$$. It is a fun ride and for me has been worth every $.

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,709
I'm going to guess that between keeping an imsb and the original water pump in for too long the water pump failure has claimed many more engines or forced a rebuild.

You should update the coolant cap to the 2004 revision which I think is the most recent. This should be part of the pre purchase inspection in my opinion. You don't want to flush the coolant, replace the water pump or the replace the troublesome coolant tank without also updating the cap. It's a $20 part that can throw a wrench to the entire cooling system.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
Registered User
 
newob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: tennesse
Posts: 73
I guess my big question is, if I replace the ims, rms and clutch, how likely is it that something else break and I'm out 10k? Like if I don't change my water pump, or aoc could it mean a new engine? Or does it simply mean a couple hundred in repairs? I am used to cars that if they break, it's not normally catastrophic engine failure... That's one thing that made scared when I read that about the ims...

That's my real question...
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
Registered User
 
Perfectlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,709
If you stay ahead of the water pump and ims while making sure your oil level is correct, the chances of engine failure comes down drastically.
__________________
GT3 Recaro Seats - Boxster Red
GT3 Aero / Carrera 18" 5 spoke / Potenza RE-11
Fabspeed Headers & Noise Maker
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tucson
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
I guess my big question is, if I replace the ims, rms and clutch, how likely is it that something else break and I'm out 10k? Like if I don't change my water pump, or aoc could it mean a new engine? Or does it simply mean a couple hundred in repairs? I am used to cars that if they break, it's not normally catastrophic engine failure... That's one thing that made scared when I read that about the ims...

That's my real question...
These guys will have you buying a new car before its all said and done.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 AM   #26
Registered User
 
RawleyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
These guys will have you buying a new car before its all said and done.
Ha , no joke.

Just drive it for F sake. Nothing's going to happen to your car.
__________________
RawleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #27
flybird
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 32
Garage
Do not lug!

Hey congrads on your sweet ride. These cars have small motors that like to operate at higher rpms than say your big v8 so don't shift out to soon. Search this site for more info on this if you need to. What you two have done is bought a race car with license plates on it. These cars love to be drivin hard and fast so don't think your going to hurt it, enjoy!
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #28
Registered User
 
kk2002s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S. New Jersey
Posts: 1,239
Garage
I think you need to drive it for awhile
Check the levels all the time. Look for drips. Smell the smells after you drive it.
Change the oil yourself, cut the filter open, drop the pan and inspect what all that looks like
You don't sound like you are set up to do repairs easily, no garage, jacks, stands, specific tools or the ability to let the car sit while you figure out what is wrong and fix it yourself
You could do all those preventatives, that will certainly take them out of the equation, but there are many other things that can take out that engine that you can't really prevent easily.
It's a slippery slope
Hey if you have the funds, go for it
You won't know until you drive it and they present themselves

Drive the thing, they love it, you'll love it and you'll start to get a feel for what is needed right away
Oh by the way - Congrats - and welcome
__________________
2002 S - old school third pedal
Seal Grey
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:59 AM   #29
Registered User
 
bglz42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dickinson, TEXAS
Posts: 148
Congrats!

Now just drive it and don't worry! You bought a fantastic and reliable car...
__________________
Be careful, the car/girl/boat you just bashed is someone's pride and joy!
2001 Boxster S, 2007 Cayman SOLD, 2013 Abarth Cabrio
1970 Donzi 18 Holman Moody
bglz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
Registered User
 
newob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: tennesse
Posts: 73
Got some other pictures, decided to show it off a bit better... Do you think I should change the rims or put a body kit on it?

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES TO MY POLL AND MY QUESTIONS!!









newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #31
Damn Yankee
 
TeamOxford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,101
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
Do you think I should change the rims or put a body kit on it?
Absolutely not.

Drive it. Perform some routine and preventative maintenance as outlined in previous posts. From looking at your pics, your Boxster seems to already be modded quite nicely (except for the compressed springs).

Enjoy the driving experience. There will be plenty of time down the road to mess with it.

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tucson
Posts: 216
That's a very nice, low mile "S" for 15700.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
Registered User
 
rp17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: DFW
Posts: 713
That red looks nice. Drive it for a while before you start modding. That car already has some good mods on it. Things may come up and you will have the money to address it and the "while you in there" stuff.

How much thread are on those tires? And did they paint the inside frunk? Like the spoiler, and the seats. Factory radio has already been ditched. Buy a nice jack and a set of stands and drive on.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #34
Registered User
 
newob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: tennesse
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
That red looks nice. Drive it for a while before you start modding. That car already has some good mods on it. Things may come up and you will have the money to address it and the "while you in there" stuff.

How much thread are on those tires? And did they paint the inside frunk? Like the spoiler, and the seats. Factory radio has already been ditched. Buy a nice jack and a set of stands and drive on.
The front tires are brand new and the back tires have about 80% of the tread left. I am not sure if they painted inside the trunk or not.
Yes, I need to buy some stands and a jack because I intend on doing the oil changes myself.
Ironically I think I will probably end up replacing the stereo again in lieu of one with an external input jack.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:21 AM   #35
Registered User
 
jacabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 731
what mods. does this car have ? suspension has had work done , what parts where installed ?
jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #36
Registered User
 
newob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: tennesse
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean View Post
what mods. does this car have ? suspension has had work done , what parts where installed ?
The suspension has been clamped, so the seller told me if I want to undo it, I just jack the car up and take off the clamps... Not sure if it will actually be that easy.. Other then that the car has had the seats replaced as you can see, has had the dash panels carbon fiber dipped, non stock wheels put on it, stereo redone, hydraulic spoiler modded and the boxsterS emblem on the back was professionally removed...

In the future I first intend on replacing The ims, rms, clutch and water pump. I then will upgrade the rear window so that it doesn't have any sun damage, then I will replace the stereo for one with an external jack, and lastly place some slightly different rims on it. I also intend on putting the original seats back in.

Last edited by newob; 12-17-2013 at 07:41 AM.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dahlonega , Georgia
Posts: 1,277
I watched that car via the Craigslist ad. Good luck with her.
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #38
Registered User
 
jacabean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
The suspension has been clamped, so the seller told me if I want to undo it, I just jack the car up and take off the clamps... Not sure if it will actually be that easy.. Other then that the car has had the seats replaced as you can see, has had the dash panels carbon fiber dipped, non stock wheels put on it, stereo redone, hydraulic spoiler modded and the boxsterS emblem on the back was professionally removed...

In the future I first intend on replacing The ims, rms, clutch and water pump. I then will upgrade the rear window so that it doesn't have any sun damage, then I will replace the stereo for one with an external jack, and lastly place some slightly different rims on it. I also intend on putting the original seats back in.
not sure what "clamped" is . you got full leather which is a real nice option .

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boxster , boxster s , ims , new owner , porsche


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page