Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Should I replace IMS Immediatly!
Yes, Right now! with much haste! 7 26.92%
No, maybe if the clutch needs fixin' down the road. 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #1

Talking Buying my first boxster

So after months of searching eBay, car.com, and craigslist, I found my Porsche. :dance:
I have put a 700$ deposit down on a 2000 Porsche Boxster S that has 33k miles on it. (Ii will pay remaining 15,000$ in cash in February).

I am a new Porsche owner and quite young. My wife and I are both nurses, and we both are 22 years old. The car has original paint, clean carfax, new tires, and has been in no accidents. It has Sportco racing seats and also includes the original leather seats in excellent condition.

The previous owner said he did the oil on it every 5k miles and had is professionally done. The plastic parts of the dash have been dipped in carbon fiber and the car has also been lowered closer to the ground - apparently with clamps on the suspension (I don't think I like that... )

As soon as I pick the car up in Atlanta in late January, I intend on doing an IMS overhaul ASAP. Although the car has no leaks and has been fairly well maintained, I DO NOT want to have to pay 7-8k for a replacement engine (on the cheap end)

the car drives and sounds great, do you guys have any suggestions for the first time Porsche owner? My friend would help me do the IMS install, and I would get the reinforced IMS from LNE for roughly 650$.

I intend on posting many pictures and staying an active member on this forum so that I can learn to do the maintenance myself ( I already called the dealer and they quoted me 2200 just for the IMS)

poll for if I should do IMS immediately.

ANY COMMENTS AND ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Last edited by newob; 12-21-2013 at 01:28 PM.
newob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #2

In your case, replacing it immediately seems a good move....assuming you do the clutch while you are in there. You are likely getting close to a clutch anyway and prior low miles for the age may place you in the higher risk category....if you have a single row.
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by runjmc2 View Post
In your case, replacing it immediately seems a good move....assuming you do the clutch while you are in there. You are likely getting close to a clutch anyway and prior low miles for the age may place you in the higher risk category....if you have a single row.
Getting close to a new clutch? With 33K? Don't scare the boy, he's nowhere near a new clutch.
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #4

The other option is wait until may this spring and be getting the rest of the parts these next couple months - I.E Water pump, air oil separator, IMS, RMS, and the clutch if it needs it.

I just really don't want it to break down as it will be my primary light commuter vehicle.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #5

I would put the stock seats back in. They are safer.

And I would have the IMS professionally done. A pro can easily do that job in a day.
At $80-$90 an hour indy Porsche shop rates it's well worth it from any shop that stands by its work.
If you make a mistake doing that particular job, oh boy. You write the check for the consequences. Not worth DIY savings in my book.

Even if you go with a higher cost bearing, if single row it will need to be replaced sooner than a dual row bearing, the intervals are shorter on the single row. So I would consider doing a direct oil feed (DOF) modification in addition to swapping the low-mileage IMS -- if it is indeed a single row bearing.

p.s.
Das Schield has a sale going on for hood and trunk dent protectors (they go on the inside), you get the the rear free if you buy the front protector. If you frequently lug items around in the trunks it's well spent money, especially on a lowered car.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #6

Thanks perfectlap for that info, I checked into it, and solo motorsports in atlanta GA, will do the RMS, IMS, and clutch for around 2000K$ including parts/labor. that is with an upgraded IMS, and they have done lots of them before.. I think I will go with them and save myself the headache.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

I just my Box a few months ago and I will be doing my IMS in a few weeks. I have a LN Engineering approved indie doing my RMS, IMS and oil & filter change for just over $1,400. You might want to shop around. LN has an approved installer list so you might want to look into it. I'm sure you could us the $600 elsewhere.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
Thanks perfectlap for that info, I checked into it, and solo motorsports in atlanta GA, will do the RMS, IMS, and clutch for around 2000K$ including parts/labor. that is with an upgraded IMS, and they have done lots of them before.. I think I will go with them and save myself the headache.
Others can chime in but I would condition the work on whether you have a dual row or not. If you have a dual row $2000 is fine for all that work.
You won't know if its dual row until they take down the transmission and open it up. They would also have to calculate how many miles are left on the clutch and flywheel. Maybe the previous owner was not such a good driver and you only have 30K miles left, I would replace now if that's the case.

If you have a single row, I think the extra $650 would be better spent getting a direct oil feed to the bearing. At the end of the day the culprit in IMS failures is not that the bearings are too fragile, but that the bearing is not getting enough oil or clean oil. This contamination or starvation leads to the compromising of the bearing. An upgraded single row IMS bearing is not cheap at $650 and while it makes it better at withstanding the oiling issues for certain amount of mileage, it really doesn't address the root cause of the issue. You can check with LNE but I don't think they recommend keeping in their single row bearing (if you can still get them) in for 80-100K miles, or the typical life span of a clutch (the next time you'll have the trans out to swap the bearing yet again). The Pelican bearing ($100) with a direct oil feed, would be the better choice in my opinion. Either way, you're getting rid of the original bearing that has spent a long time sitting dry with only 30K miles in 13 years and has become brittle, unless the previous owners made a point of driving it every week -- hard to say.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 12-11-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
I just my Box a few months ago and I will be doing my IMS in a few weeks. I have a LN Engineering approved indie doing my RMS, IMS and oil & filter change for just over $1,400. You might want to shop around. LN has an approved installer list so you might want to look into it. I'm sure you could us the $600 elsewhere.
Yes, I could but I will probably just do it there because the 2k includes a 500$ clutch and installation... I will probably get it done a few months after I get it, because the wife might be a bit hard on the clutch while she is learning to drive stick
Old 12-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #10

I agree 33K miles is not many miles for a clutch. I would expect to get at least 75K out of mine. I made a few assumptions. Since it is 13 years old with only 33k mi I assume these were not highway miles, e.g. daily driver, but rather short trip, etc. That and the age alone would lead me to believe the clutch would be due earlier than "expected."
runjmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
2004 Boxster S

Newob- great looking car. Congrats!! When I was 22 I had a minivan built before you were born. Crap that made me sound like a geezer, didn't it!

Seriously, good for you. I did the IMSB and a bunch of other maintenace a few months after I got my Box S and now I don't stress about those items anymore. Do what makes you feel good, in my case I don't like having a bunch of unknowns when I have the possibilty of being ahead of the game.
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by newob View Post
The other option is wait until may this spring and be getting the rest of the parts these next couple months - I.E Water pump, air oil separator, IMS, RMS, and the clutch if it needs it.

I just really don't want it to break down as it will be my primary light commuter vehicle.
If you have the knowledge, guts and wherewithal to do this yourself and plan on keeping the car long term I would replace all of the above while it was in front of you, just my opinion. The car and your wife are beautiful, if you plan on keeping both long term you might as well take care of them, dealing with potential future issues now will prove worthwhile down the road. My write up on the IMS / Clutch install when I did it a few years ago, feel free to PM me:

IMS, RMS, Tranny R & R Tips - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Newob- great looking car. Congrats!! When I was 22 I had a minivan built before you were born. Crap that made me sound like a geezer, didn't it!

Seriously, good for you. I did the IMSB and a bunch of other maintenace a few months after I got my Box S and now I don't stress about those items anymore. Do what makes you feel good, in my case I don't like having a bunch of unknowns when I have the possibilty of being ahead of the game.
Thanks! yes, I think I will get it done as soon as I can. If I fix the RMS, and the IMSB, and the clutch, can I expect the car to be fairly problem free? I am ok doing preventative maintenance every year or so, but it should be fairly reliable correct?
I am of the same sentiment, I do not want to worry over it.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
If you have the knowledge, guts and wherewithal to do this yourself and plan on keeping the car long term I would replace all of the above while it was in front of you, just my opinion. The car and your wife are beautiful, if you plan on keeping both long term you might as well take care of them, dealing with potential future issues now will prove worthwhile down the road. My write up on the IMS / Clutch install when I did it a few years ago, feel free to PM me:

IMS, RMS, Tranny R & R Tips - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums
I am undecided whether to do the IMS myself or have someone else do it. I lack the awesome garage that you have and would have to do it in a carport. My friend worked at sears as a mechanic, and also is in the process of restoring a Mitsubishi Eclipse 4S. Although we could probably do the job, I don't know if it would be worth the time as it would take us a lot longer than a professional. If I did it, I would want to do it right and do a very clean thoughtful job of it. A place in GA stated that just for the IMS, labor alone would be 740. plus parts. If I did it myself, it would take probably several days, and I could work a couple days overtime and have that paid for.
I do enjoy learning how things work and feeling the satisfaction of knowing that I put part of the car together.

regardless who does it, I want it done sooner rather then later.
the real question is, which car will be more fun to drive, a Boxster S, or a turbo eclipse?
Old 12-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
recycledsixtie

Garage
Sounds like you are in it for the long haul. All the above is good advice. I bought my 2001 Box base with 30k miles. 2 years later it has 40 k miles. I have done the following

had installed the following:

cv joints refurbished
idler arm pulley replaced for the alternator if I remember right
installed IMS Guardian - cheaper than putting in new IMS bearing but not as good

otherwise normal maintenance like oil changes, coolant drained and replaced with real Porsche antifreeze, new tires.

I expect to change in the next 5 years if I keep it that long:

replace water pump
replace AOS
replace motor mounts
replace ims/rms/ and overhaul clutch.

I don't put a ton of miles on it. About 5k miles a year. It has been about what I expected in terms of expense to run. I could spend $5-10 k on preventive maintenance but I cannot justify it.

Plan on spending on the average $1-2 a year once you get your major intended jobs done. I like low mileage cars. It feels tight and starts well in winter.

Enjoy your ride.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
recycledsixtie

Garage
Regarding the poll re ims install now or later. I have no wrenching skills but if it was me and in your situation I would get it done by an outfit that has done it before. LN Eng. recommended shops etc. Nobody likes an engine blowup and for myself I am older - see my handle, I have elected not to get ims done and if it blows up then I get an older Cayman. If I was tight for $$$ and young I would get the ims done. How can you afford an engine blowup in early life? That depends on how lucky you feel!
Trust this helps.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Regarding the poll re ims install now or later. I have no wrenching skills but if it was me and in your situation I would get it done by an outfit that has done it before. LN Eng. recommended shops etc. Nobody likes an engine blowup and for myself I am older - see my handle, I have elected not to get ims done and if it blows up then I get an older Cayman. If I was tight for $$$ and young I would get the ims done. How can you afford an engine blowup in early life? That depends on how lucky you feel!
Trust this helps.
I don't feel very lucky :P I also want the car to last a long time. Once I get the IMS repaired, I intend on driving the car very regularly. Do you think it is a must to do the AOC and the water pump while in there? Or should I wait until next year or so...?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #18

Sounds like we were in the same boat. I just bought my box in August (you beat me by a year! I'm 23) and had the same thought. Ims now or later? I did the ims, rms, clutch, and oil change in my first week of ownership. The main reason I wanted to do it first thing was to take away the worry in the back of my head and fully enjoy the car. Not worth any risk. Couple grand now or a huge headache with a broken toy in your drive way?

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #19

A few more iphone photos just for fun :dance:

Old 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan9eleven View Post
Hell, I got clothes that were made before he was born! Got a pair of battery-operated electric socks that I got in '75, several t-shirts from the 80's, and a pair of dress shoes that I bought in '84. All still quite usable. I still have my wedding suit from '91 but it seems to have shrunk quite a bit so I can't wear it anymore.

That looks like a really nice car. Good find!

Tags
boxster , boxster s , ims , new owner , porsche