Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #1

RIP Paul Walker - killed in a CGT's passenger seat

Paul Walker dead at 40: 'Fast and Furious' star killed in fiery car crash - NY Daily News

He was a good person and a very cool actor. Makes me really sad to hear about this tragedy.

A good reminder to all that when you take your friend for a drive in your super cool & fast sport car, please and always ensure their safety before yours.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
please and always ensure their safety before yours.
Absolutely, please be safe out there guys ESPECIALLY with friends or family in the passenger seat.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #3

And that is not much of a tree. Doesn't take as much as some might think.
jotoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
A grim reminder to us all. I'm just sick over this...terrible
Old 12-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
A tragic accident and the lose of a good man. I hope his charitable work can keep moving forward.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2013/11/30/1130-paul-walker-accident-scene-twitter-3.jpg
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #7

Garage
Tragic. It looks like they were in a parking lot?
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #8

Racing on streets at high speed never pays...obstacles all over...you just never know. RIP.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #9

RIP for sure - but I am just glad their stupidity didn't kill some innocent pedestrians or other motorists
Old 12-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomc88 View Post
RIP for sure - but I am just glad their stupidity didn't kill some innocent pedestrians or other motorists
I would not say- their stupidity,responsibility lies solely on the driver on this one.
Also another blackeye to all Porsche owner, owners like this guy,makes the rest of us look bad.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #11

Anybody knows if carbon fiber monocoque and subframes are safe? Is this stuff (resin) so flammable to a point where there is no escape, or does it takes time to lit up. Great technology/material I agree but man it looks a bit nasty. No?
Old 12-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
Track rat

Garage
A sobering moment indeed. It looks like they hit a tree sideways at a very high speed and it cut the car in half. Fuel lines were severed and gas just poured out of the lines. No chance.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
A sobering moment indeed. It looks like they hit a tree sideways at a very high speed and it cut the car in half. Fuel lines were severed and gas just poured out of the lines. No chance.
I'm shattered to see that a car can go fast nnuff to chop the car and kill the occupants "in a parking lot". Any of my cars need a highway long stretch to gain that much speed

When will the authorities be enforcing a "PILOT" license requirement to be allowed to drive those super sport cars exactly? I bet the ministers are already looking at ways to get this policy revised soon. It's sad.... I see plenty of smashed up supercars here in yards or leveled. Some are pretty badly twisted, its often traumatizing

Last edited by Nine8Six; 12-01-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #14

Very Sad Indeed. Saw this posted on Rennlist last night, they're already up to 9 pages of posts dissecting the potential cause (pretty simple IMO; 600 plus hp in a 3000 lb. car and lack of driving talent / judgement), couple of guys even got into a heated debate where the mod had to intervene.

Anyone who's seen the pics of the car can easily tell it was MOVING, what a shame. RIP.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #15

This reminds me of Jay Leno's adventure with a Carrera GT: 5 X CAR spin Jay Leno - YouTube

I'm sure its a great car, but the Carrera GT may be a little too much to handle for good but not great drivers. When you lose control you are dealing with the laws of physics and as someone pointed out there are a lot of objects out on the street that aren't very forgiving.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #16

Garage
The maddening part of this is the passer bys videoing and no one attempting to help or put out fire. Some one confirming as they watched there are people in the car.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #17

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
This reminds me of Jay Leno's adventure with a Carrera GT: 5 X CAR spin Jay Leno - YouTube

I'm sure its a great car, but the Carrera GT may be a little too much to handle for good but not great drivers. When you lose control you are dealing with the laws of physics and as someone pointed out there are a lot of objects out on the street that aren't very forgiving.
Driver is described as a professional Porsche race driver.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #18

The driver's resume certainly seems to have quite a bit of legitimacy:

Pirelli World Challenge

Barring a mechanical failure (many on other boards were speculating on old / original OEM tires potentially contributing) it was plain that he was driving too fast for conditions. Supposedly happened less than a quarter mile from the charity event.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #19

Very sad. Obviously going very fast for the car to get chopped up like that. I foresee a lawsuit against the estate of the driver. The whole thing is very ugly and a bit ironic being that the FF franchise is much about street racing.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #20

Garage
It was a sad day when that happened. Condolences to them both.

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote