Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #1

New Boxster owner (986) with comparison impressions.

First, wanted to say hello from a new Member (Oklahoma) and that I have been very impressed with the caliber of people on this forum...I've been on plenty of enthusiast forums and some have issues with "attitudes"...

I also wanted to give an impression of a base 2002 Boxster to other cars I've owned since I may have a different background than others.

I have been a Car guy forever (I am 42) but have changed into other focus since having my 3rd child (I have a 6,4 and 1yo)...I used to do HPDE and AutoX and have done ViperDays and SRT programs. I have also spent time at 1/4 strips with my higher power cars, so I have enjoyed everything from straight line crazy to timed parking lot courses.

I am currently restoring a 1967 L79 Corvette roadster (White/Red) but have been without a "fun" car for a year (Last one was a Mamba edition Viper). My Wife drives an ESV Escalade and I have a Company Car so we have missed date nights in something fun...

I just bought this car from TIS off of eBay...2002 Boxster with 78K/5 speed. Has Carrera wheels and nice stereo set up. Had receipts from the last 12 months of: New Calipers/rotors, 75K service, Balance/alignment and top front Porsche. Has Clear Bra and mint paint. Interior is 9/10. Drives literally as new and only mod is exhaust (not sure what maker). Paid $12,250 which is "Motorcycle" money...

Just for comparisons, here are some of the cars I've had:

You get the idea...pretty eclectic. I've had more cars but didn't want to go crazy with pictures on my first post. The only "high-power" cars I've had (Over 500RWHP) are the Bumblebee Viper GTS (ROE Supercharged w/670RWHP) and the Lingenfelter Corvette (520ish RWHP NA)

On to my thought on the Boxster...Not only is the least expensive car out of all I've owned (By half at least) it is one of the more fun to drive! Like a little slot car. Acceleration is fine for what it is, although I'm sure the 'S' is much more brisk. Brakes are really good and maneuverability is fantastic! Fit and Finish is better than expected at this price point and my car has ZERO rattles or integrity issues.

I'm REALLY impressed. I mainly bought it as an impulse because my Wife wanted another convertible and it was so cheap that it wasn't a gamble, I am really glad I bought it. It is a "Girl" car - especially in white, but hey, I'm 42 and married with 3 kids, what do I care what other people think as long as I'm having fun?

Anyway, wanted to say hi and give impressions as a new owner and member since most Boxster owners probably aren't coming from Viper ownership (or midyear Vettes).

OKCShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #2

Well welcome to the forum. And nice looking car or should I say cars.
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #3

Garage
Welcome and forget about the cars I want your house haha
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #4

Welcome!

I love Vipers, so sick nasty looking
Old 01-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
Welcome!

I love Vipers, so sick nasty looking
I love them also...biggest PLUS is the "exotic" style and almost bulletproof drivetrain ( I had more than what I pictured and literally had ZERO breakdowns of any kind ) The Lingenfleter routinely broke something in the drivetrain when racing and the other Corvettes (Midyears) were never tracked. The M3 (and an SL55 AMG car) were both cruisers that the Wife and I enjoyed around town, and I had no issues with them either.

The thing that got me with the Boxster was that it can serve the same purpose as the M3 and SL55 at literally half the cost...so if it sits around for months on end without use it's no concern.

I already have one regret: I should have not been so impulsive and paid a little more for a 2003+ S model...
Old 01-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #6

Garage
Hi OKC, welcome to the forum. Nice cars & pic's! I drove several 2002 Vettes & Vipers & Porsches before realizing the Boxster S was the funnest of the bunch. Especially here in the big city where you have constant traffic to deal with. I was tired of restoring rusty old muscle cars. I don't see me going down that road again, but I always wanted a mid '60s Stingray, preferably a 67 roadster. What engine is the L79 ? I think it's a small block. Love to see pic's of this project. Last question, whats shooter in OKCshooter?
Old 01-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Hi OKC, welcome to the forum. Nice cars & pic's! I drove several 2002 Vettes & Vipers & Porsches before realizing the Boxster S was the funnest of the bunch. Especially here in the big city where you have constant traffic to deal with. I was tired of restoring rusty old muscle cars. I don't see me going down that road again, but I always wanted a mid '60s Stingray, preferably a 67 roadster. What engine is the L79 ? I think it's a small block. Love to see pic's of this project. Last question, whats shooter in OKCshooter?
The L79 is a documented car with under 50K miles. I found it in a barn in Kansas where it had sat since 1981. It's undergoing a full restoration.

It is a factory White/Red car. L79 is highest horse 327 motor. It also has RARE factory A/C and it the only known White/Red convertible 4 speed AC car ever known to be made in 1967. It will be sold as soon as restoration is over...

The "shooter" in my screenname comes from my other hobby...Guns. I especially like Class III weapons and have a few. I would post pics but not sure if there are issues with gun pics on this forum?
Old 01-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCShooter View Post
The L79 is a documented car with under 50K miles. I found it in a barn in Kansas where it had sat since 1981. It's undergoing a full restoration.

It is a factory White/Red car. L79 is highest horse 327 motor. It also has RARE factory A/C and it the only known White/Red convertible 4 speed AC car ever known to be made in 1967. It will be sold as soon as restoration is over...

The "shooter" in my screenname comes from my other hobby...Guns. I especially like Class III weapons and have a few. I would post pics but not sure if there are issues with gun pics on this forum?
So L79 is a 350 HP 327?

I asked about your screenname because my neighbor is a competition shooter & has a CNC machine in his garage he uses to make custom parts for competitions.

I have a H&K Benilli M1 Super 90, it's still stock thou.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
So L79 is a 350 HP 327?

I asked about your screenname because my neighbor is a competition shooter & has a CNC machine in his garage he uses to make custom parts for competitions.

I have a H&K Benilli M1 Super 90, it's still stock thou.
Yes, the L79 is the 350hp 327ci motor...I've owned an LS5 (454 Corvette) and I like the high strung small blocks better than the Rat Motors (although the BB Midyears bring more money)

I've done IDPA and some USPCA shooting, but really just for fun. the suppressed stuff is just fun to shoot and in Oklahoma, it is legal to hunt suppressed.

My favorites are my SBR Silenced UZI and integrally silenced MKII although I also have a Noveske SBR AR15 that is silenced and others...once you shoot silenced you'll never go back.