Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #161
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I think you misread my post, I'm not talking about the crash worthiness or side impact protection. I'm talking about how quickly this car caught fire.

would be? Our 986 has ALREADY been destroyed in countelss numbers of incidents very similar to this one where someone put it into a pole, tree, wall or even off a bridge in one incident I recall. Auto wrecker sites are full of pictures of mangled Boxsters that look like crumpled sardine cans impacted from every possible side, rollovers, etc. all with full gas tanks.
Yet after nearly a decade on this forum and others I can't think of one incident where a 986 charbroiled the occupants, let alone within 1 to 2 minutes after the impact..

And I'm not sure why you're conflating the issue of responsibility for the accident, with the merits or weakpoints of this car following a crash. They are two separate discussions. Whether a car spins out of control because of driver error or equipment failure, is not germaine to this second issue of how prone this car is to explosion and fire.
Countless incidents. But yet you own one?? Has every CGT caught fire? Do they all get driven in an unsafe and irresponsible manner?

No car at speed limit on city streets catches fire. If this guy had been driving even double speed limit, they may be here.

Speculate all we like, but his reckless driving caused his vehicle to loose control. This incident alone does not show a safety flaw because it's so far outside a typical crash.

There's no denying the driver / speed were primarily at fault. Feel free to speculate beyond those facts all you like.

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #162
2002 Boxster S

Garage
Anyone who feels their CGT is just too dangerous to drive should contact me. I'll trade you my ultra-safe Boxster S straight across.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #163

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
Anyone who feels their CGT is just too dangerous to drive should contact me. I'll trade you my ultra-safe Boxster S straight across.
I'll throw in a speedboat too!
Last930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver-S View Post
If you gave me a CGT for my Boxster S *but* told me I couldn't sell the CGT and in order to keep the CGT I'd have to put at least 5K miles a year on it, I would keep my Boxster S.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Countless incidents. But yet you own one?? Has every CGT caught fire? Do they all get driven in an unsafe and irresponsible manner?

No car at speed limit on city streets catches fire. If this guy had been driving even double speed limit, they may be here.

Speculate all we like, but his reckless driving caused his vehicle to loose control. This incident alone does not show a safety flaw because it's so far outside a typical crash.

There's no denying the driver / speed were primarily at fault. Feel free to speculate beyond those facts all you like.
I don't think it is "so far outside a typical crash."
You mean it never once occurred to the engineers that this street car made for the track might see high speeds whether on the street or track? Im not arguing the impact damage, but the fact that it so readily burst into flames on a frontal impact when the engine is behind the driver. (NOt sure where the fuel is held)
There are many crashes just like that at comparable speeds that the CGT was going. Look under Viper crashes, 911 crashes, Vette crashes, etc....its all there.
Don't misunderstand, Im not saying the cause of death wasn't driver error in all likelihood, just that cars shouldn't burst into flames either.
Being the CGT was produced in such small numbers, its hard to determine if this was an anomaly or if the car is prone to bursting into flames upon collisions.
Pretty sure autopsy showed the driver died on impact and Paul was in bad shape, IDK.

evomind is offline   Reply With Quote