Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Angry Camshaft Bearing damage

I have a 2000 boxster (2.7L M96 5 chain motor) with 30,000 miles on it. Recently the car began to idle rough and the Check engine Light (CEL) came on. The OBDII code was P1341 related to vario camshaft adjuster.

Pulling off the cam cover, and removing Bank 1 camshafts we found that the cam-adjuster plunger was stuck which is probably why the car was idling rough.

The larger concern was that we noticed that one bearing surface on the intake camshaft (on cylinder 3 near the chains) was very rough and worn. All bearing surfaces were very clean and smooth exempt this one (see picture).
• Q1 - Anyone know what would have caused this?
• Q2 – Suggestions on how to fix this bearing surface on a) the head and b) the camshaft bearing cap?
• Q3 - How to prevent this from happening again?

This is a weird one and need any HELP / suggestions you may have.

jayjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:56 AM   #2

I just found the same problem on a 1999 Boxster (41K) miles except on 4-6 bank exhaust cam.

Camshaft itself shows minor wear.

Options:
  • repair: would only be able to sand the damaged bearing area to prevent further wear/metal particles since entire head and cam cover is one matched set
  • replace: I have another head + camshaft assembly that I could swap out from another engine. Do I absolutely need to get the block resurfaced before installing a new head gasket (would be logistically challenging)?

Thoughts?

tt9714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjmac View Post
I have a 2000 boxster (2.7L M96 5 chain motor) with 30,000 miles on it. Recently the car began to idle rough and the Check engine Light (CEL) came on. The OBDII code was P1341 related to vario camshaft adjuster.

Pulling off the cam cover, and removing Bank 1 camshafts we found that the cam-adjuster plunger was stuck which is probably why the car was idling rough.

The larger concern was that we noticed that one bearing surface on the intake camshaft (on cylinder 3 near the chains) was very rough and worn. All bearing surfaces were very clean and smooth exempt this one (see picture).
• Q1 - Anyone know what would have caused this?
• Q2 – Suggestions on how to fix this bearing surface on a) the head and b) the camshaft bearing cap?
• Q3 - How to prevent this from happening again?

This is a weird one and need any HELP / suggestions you may have.
My suggestion wouold be that before you come in here and start looking for help first introduce yourself. Could you do that? smmfh
Old 04-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
My suggestion wouold be that before you come in here and start looking for help first introduce yourself. Could you do that? smmfh
He said what year of car & engine he had. What else do you want?
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
What else do you want?
If I may be so bold as to answer, in part, for Starter986...

In the old days, it was fairly common for people on forums to introduce themselves by telling us something about themselves, their car, its history, and maybe post a pic of their car when joining the group.

Then it was common for newer members to contribute to a few threads and maybe even help a couple of other people before asking for help themselves. The thinking here is that the best way to get help is to first be of help to others.

I realize that there aren't any formal rules in this regard for the 986Forum so everyone is welcome to engage Forum members in any way that they want, but the above approach is pretty much guaranteed to help a new member make many helpful and supportive online friends.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

In the old days, it was fairly common for people on forums to introduce themselves by telling us something about themselves, their car, its history, and maybe post a pic of their car when joining the group.

Then it was common for newer members to contribute to a few threads and maybe even help a couple of other people before asking for help themselves. The thinking here is that the best way to get help is to first be of help to others.
no way. there is no requirement to do any of that and never has been. forum rules are posted, and the only person in this thread violating them is starter;

"Members are asked to not act as "back seat moderators"."

to the ops - welcome! sorry i can't answer your question. i presume debris, as the wear looks too aggressive to be a lack of lubriation?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

I realize that there aren't any formal rules in this regard for the 986Forum so everyone is welcome to engage Forum members in any way that they want, but the above approach is pretty much guaranteed to help a new member make many helpful and supportive online friends.
Thanks for the reply and that's all good. I just don't see the point in cussing the guy out.

I'm a Porsche novice and I'm on here seeking knowledge. I don't have much to give back, except for some general tips that would apply to most other cars. I'm sure most on here are like me, and a relatively few are Porsche experts. So they couldn't give much advice either. Doesn't mean we should cuss them out and discourage them from coming back. They may have something to contribute eventually.

I guess introductions are important to Starter, an I respect that. For me, what's most important is for members to follow up with whatever solved the issue they posted about so we can have it for future reference.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #8

I follow about 10 Porsche Boxster related forums on three continents. Have for perhaps 14 years. Many daily. Obviously I have been an active participant here.

I can't recall any time or forums where the Starter986's suggested protocol was urged, practiced or observed.

I also follow about 5 forums devoted to non-Porsche car brands. Ditto there.

I do suggest a profile with location, model or model year as it can sometimes matter. Or including such info with the question posting. It helps those of us who answer. And doing a search, which today's poster obviously had done as he attached to a 2013 thread..

As to the specific question both from the OP and today's poster, I have no helpful expertise.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
...you're responding to a post from almost 6 years ago.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #10

So, jaymac made 1 post almost 6 years ago and never came back after asking this question. Then tt9714 came along as a new member and used the search function to resurrect the question. Can anyone help him out?
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:49 AM   #11
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt9714 View Post
I just found the same problem on a 1999 Boxster (41K) miles except on 4-6 bank exhaust cam.

Options:
  • repair: would only be able to sand the damaged bearing area to prevent further wear/metal particles since entire head and cam cover is one matched set
  • replace: I have another head + camshaft assembly that I could swap out from another engine. Do I absolutely need to get the block resurfaced before installing a new head gasket (would be logistically challenging)?

Thoughts?

I'm not a Porsche expert, but I've got some extensive experience with other makes. So bear with me as I try to add something here.
You can sand/ polish the damaged surfaces, but you'll most likely have to take so much material to do it that you'll increase the tolerances dramatically. This would lead to an almost certain failure, as the cam end would oblong that hole in a hurry.
I'd replace it. I've got to think that with the IMS scare on these motors, the must be plenty with bad blocks, but good heads?

Good luck. Keep us posted?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt9714 View Post

Options:

Thoughts?

You need to replace the entire cylinder head and cams, that cannot be saved.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:55 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Yes, in the "old days". You know, when people had the courtesy of introducing themselves before barging in.

I suppose the "rules" can't be updated.