Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 05:28 AM   #21
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker986 View Post
Sometimes we make some really questionable decisions. At least he decided a few days after making the decision. In my case, years and years ago, I sold my beloved MGB and regretted it so much that I bought it back from the guy I sold it to a year later. He had abused it and it showed.

I can also understand being afraid after all the negative press out there right now why one would want to sell their Boxster. I must be more of a gambler, although I hate gambling, because after reading and reading all the negatives about IMS and the like, I still just purchased my first Boxster after owning, still own, five BMWs.

My neighbor spent an hour trying to convince me I should buy a Z3 over a Boxster because of all the Boxster engine problems.
Yes I totally agree Parker with the negative press. I go through that feeling sometimes that I think the ims is going to cause the engine to destruct. Yesterday I tried out a 2001 Porsche Carrera 4 but it still has an ims and found it faster than my base Box but it did not stir my soul. At the same Porsche dealer I tried a 2008 Boxster base and with more hp of 245 it has more power, was more $$$, still has an ims but was not enough of a car to get me to trade in my Box. If they had an older Cayman that might have done it......I really have quit worrying about it. With the IMS Guardian installed and have just done an oil change I will just face whatever happens . I have moved on.....

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:05 AM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Sometimes we make some really questionable decisions. At least he decided a few days after making the decision. In my case, years and years ago, I sold my beloved MGB and regretted it so much that I bought it back from the guy I sold it to a year later. He had abused it and it showed.

I can also understand being afraid after all the negative press out there right now why one would want to sell their Boxster. I must be more of a gambler, although I hate gambling, because after reading and reading all the negatives about IMS and the like, I still just purchased my first Boxster after owning, still own, five BMWs.

My neighbor spent an hour trying to convince me I should buy a Z3 over a Boxster because of all the Boxster engine problems.
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum! Factor in an IMS replacement/guardian/solution/DOF etc, and then go drive it
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #23

here are some photos , of my car with yesterdays newspaper
:dance:

http://www.986forum.com/forums/images/smilies/flwhitey_e0.gif
rosenfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #24

further proof of my problem

Old 10-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
recycledsixtie

Garage
Well I can truly say it went to a good home!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #26

feel better ROSENFE?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #27
2004 Boxster S

I think we all feel better now!
evan9eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #28

Garage
Now don't do that ever again! If you ever start thinking crazy again, you know where to turn to get some help
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum! Factor in an IMS replacement/guardian/solution/DOF etc, and then go drive it
The very first thing I did when I picked up my Boxster is make an appointment to have for the IMS replacement. Scheduled for the middle of November. Will take a look at the clutch and flywheel at the same time and replace if necessary. Then I can breathe a little easier when I drive her.
Parker986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #30

Nice looking Boxster!!!! Welcome to the forum. Drive it like you stole it!
rp17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #31

That's a HOT car. No wonder you wanted it back.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #32

thanks for the therapy consult you all.im definitely going o enjoy it
Old 10-08-2013, 09:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsixtie View Post
Yes I have my 2001 Boxster base advertised but has not sold yet. It is advertised for top $. If I do sell it I will likely get another Porsche. My wife has the Camry.....I feel for you as I nearly went that route. I tried a Mazda 3 and a Lexus is250. Neither of them stirred my soul like a Porsche.
Uh...How the heck can a Mazda 3 and IS250 stir the soul like a Porsche can? I know you can get a cheap Box/Porsche now, but the Porsche was designed/manufactured/intended to be a sports car. Those other two are based off of econoboxes

Hey Rosenfe, you silly rabbit...just the tax that you paid for the buy/rebuy and the Camry purchase have cost you a little lump sum. Sometimes fear is the costliest thing. Glad you have your beautiful Boxster back!!!!
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:02 AM   #34
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post
Uh...How the heck can a Mazda 3 and IS250 stir the soul like a Porsche can? I know you can get a cheap Box/Porsche now, but the Porsche was designed/manufactured/intended to be a sports car. Those other two are based off of econoboxes

Hey Rosenfe, you silly rabbit...just the tax that you paid for the buy/rebuy and the Camry purchase have cost you a little lump sum. Sometimes fear is the costliest thing. Glad you have your beautiful Boxster back!!!!
Yes I am happy that I did not do a "Rosenfe". Sometimes I get exasperated with the rattles and the unusual noises and want something more well Toyota like. Having found a cheaper local indy shop has reassured me that Porsche ownership is not so exorbitant.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #35

so from now on letting fear get to you re:selling boxster will be known as doing a "rosenfe".at least im famous for something
Old 10-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #36

I almost Rosenfeed when my baby girl was born... but my wife wouldn't let me.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #37
Artist, 986S tinkerer

"to Rosenfe" v. intr. Watch for it in the new Oxford!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #38

Quote:

What exactly was his argument? The negative press about the IMS becomes moot once you drop the Boxster off at your indy for a day's work. If you stay on top of the water pump, flush the coolant at some interval, update the coolant cap each time you do the brake fluid and use an oil with adequate ZDDP every 5K miles you will be in the very small percentage of owners who have terminal issues.
It's high maintenace because its high end (well for the under $100K universe). Show me car that is high end that is cheap to run and not boring to drive and I'll sell my car tomorrow.

Z3 is a nice car, a bit under-rated. But it doesn't set the bar in its class like the Boxster.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-10-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote