Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #1

Question Speedometer & electrical gremlins - 2001 Boxster 2.7

I have been working through issues from my '01 Boxster "barn find", but need some help

What speed sensor(s) "drive" the analog speedometer? (By the way, the digital one and the odometer doesn't work either.)

I pulled the left rear speed sensor and I tested it with an ohmeter and it register 1.7 so it seems to be within spec.

Can I clean the speed sensor?

I did check all the fuses with a little fuse tester.

Also, the ABS light is on, the check engine light is on and the spoiler is stuck in the "up" position

Other problems I still have (so you can tell me how to fix them or if they are related)
Power window switches don't work (but the windows will roll themselves down and up when I raise and lower the top)
Radio doesn't work. (The battery died after sitting dormant for 9 months.) I think I just need to get the code from Porsche
Cruise control stalk is broken and hanging by wires from the steering column - could this have an impact on the speed sensors?
Right rear running light is out but I haven't checked the bulb yet.

Any ideas are welcome!!!

utkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:03 AM   #2

Regarding your radio code, check this forum on Renntech: Lost Radio Code - post your request here - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

I recommend that you search this forum on the following terms:

Durametric
Ignition Switch

The Durametric will help you diagnose the fault codes. A regular OBD II reader may help, but it won't be able to read the Porsche-specific codes
The ignition switch is a weak point that can cause problems in some seemingly unrelated areas.

I'm not sure, but the "rear running light" you refer to may be the blank in the housing that is there for a rear fog light on right hand drive cars.

Good luck
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #3

Thanks, Kevin.

I did change the ignition switch and that did seem to alleviate a few problems.

I also have replaced the alternator and the seller's attorney replaced the battery.

I ordered a brake light switch to correct the brake light problem but the switch I bought was bad so I cleaned the corrosion off of the original switch and have that working again.

I have also replaced about 5 fuses (2 for the radio, 1 for the right rear light a 7.5 amp - the light I mentioned have problems with before - it is formally known on the fuse panel as "side marker right")
utkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #4

You appear to be making progress. Do you have much history on the car? For example, what caused the cruise control stalk to be broken? Was someone trying to steal the car?

You mentioned that the seller's attorney replaced the battery, so I assume you cannot speak with the previous owner.

Here are some other sources to check. They may give you some tips on fruitful avenues to pursue:

Technolab/PedrosGarage: Porsche PPI, Porsche Service, Performance Parts
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages
Porsche Boxster 986 (1997-2004) / 987 (2005-2008) Technical Articles | Pelican Parts

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote