Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

Buying first Boxster

Hey guys, I'm hoping to buy my first Boxster within the week and need some advice.

I'm looking at a black 2004 S with 57k miles. Only option that I can see on the car is heated seats. It's listed at a small dealership for $19,900.

How much do you think the car is worth?

mayerstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

Sounds like a fair price to me assuming the cosmetics and mechanics are in check.

Billy Boat Muffler
ROW M030 Suspension
LNE IMSB
PorscheBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #3

Having bought my car at a small dealership, I only have one suggestion ... before paying full retail price for it get a PPI. You do not want any issues with the car and a PPI will tell you if you are going to have to put out significant money.

Also, just as an FYI, with 57K on the clock you wil need to plan on a 60K service pretty soon. New serpentine belt, air filters, plugs, oil change, etc. And as an FYI, my water pump on my 99 failed at about 72K. Many recommend a replacement right at 60K.

So, a PPI can give you some negotiation room with the dealer, plus can tell you right off the bat if you want to buy it or not. Meaning, if the dealer is not willing to let you get a PPI then walk away from it. A PPI can cost between $250 and $500 depending on who is doing it and how complete of a PPI you want performed.

Oh, before I forget, get a CarFax. While not perfect, if it lists all repair work reported to DMV and includes cost comparison that can aid in negotiating the prices well.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
DIY extremist

seems like a lot... I sold my 2000 S with 111k (only 45k on motor/transmission) for $12.3k and it had new clutch / flywheel / brakes / tires, with litronics and a bunch more options. I would think your car should be less than 15k private party. Is buying from a dealer worth the extra?

black_box is offline   Reply With Quote