Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
Yellow986S

LED headlight problems! HELP

Hey guys,
Finally after so long the 2nd gen LED headlights arrived.
I tried installing them yesterday but ran into problems. The headlight wont snap back in place and when I check to see if it is tight it just slides right back out with ease.
Anybody have any tips or idea on how I can get it to lock in place?
How did you guys with the 1st and 2nd gen LED headlights lock yours in place?
Thanks

Yellow986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Need For Speed

Garage
Use (I think) a 6.5mm socket to lock them back in. The tool in the tool bag for headlight removal and installation always spins on me and never locks down the lights.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Yellow986S

Thanks Kram.
I used a 5mm socket and was able to lock one of the headlights in place.

Sadly, the hex part of the locking bar for the other side stripped so I can't get it to turn anymore.
What should I do now?
Is there a replacement for the locking bar?
I even tried putting some tape on the inside of the socket but it was still spinning.
Thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #4

I had the same problem with 1st generation. you can take a dremel and cut open the locking hole slightly so that the bar will fit. the trick i used was put some oil or something wet on the locking bar, put the headlight into the socket, then try to turn the bar. now remove the headlight, and hopefully the oil would have transferred to the casting so that you know where it is hitting and dremel away. hope that makes sense. mine never did "lock" into place. but it stayed put while driving, even though i could easily pull it out by hand.

still waiting for the 2nd gen. is it any better?
Old 09-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #5

Oh yeah....I had this problem too on the 2nd gen batch. Mine only had issues with the passenger side. I called the vendor and he suggested the dremmel method as posted above, but this only helped slightly and it still would not stay locked nor keep power to the headlamp connector. My expectation was a refund/replacement but this was never offered.

Mine was so bad that I had to fashion a small bracket to keep tension on the housing so the light would not pop out. In addition, I even replaced the headlamp tray as the connector would not keep power to the lamp (in the end, the tray was fine). Even after the addition of the bracket, I could not keep consistent power to the lamp. I had to remove the connector assembly from the tray (basically break it off and remove it) and press the connection in by hand.

After these two hacks, I've had no further issues. I feel more confident with the bracket holding the lamp in place as I feared a hard stop would send the lamp flying out. No worries now, but I expected more for 900 bucks.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #6

So, after 2 delays and sending me the incorrect tracking number, the headlights were finally delivered.
What a piece of garbage! The fitment was impossible and they would not lock at all, they also seem not to be able to reach the socket.
The materials look cheap as you can see if you take a good look at the chrome parts.
I was sent an email with "tips" that say that if it doesn't lock you should use a dremmel and file the housing. Could they have figured this out if this is already the 2nd generation, we should never have to cut or file anything!
Against my better judgement I DID file the housing and it still did not lock.

I have email Jeff about this and I am requesting a refund.

This should not be sold as perfect fit or plug & play if you have to install brackets so the lights wouldnt fly away.

The end
Old 09-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #7

Strange. Mine plugged and played very easily. Didn't dremel or anything. Just used the tool that was included in the Porsche tool bag, took my old lights out, popped my new lights in.

Unfortunately, Jeff over at XtremeMotorcars is just the middle man. Any defects are from his taiwanese manufacturer.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #8

hey yellow and batshapedheart. did you get the black ones or chrome ones? i'm still waiting for my chrome 2nd generations. i too asked for a refund, but did not get one.

i understand that jeff is the "middle man". but if he is going to sell it, then he should stand by his products that he sells. if there is an issue...he needs to address it with his manufacturer...not just give us an excuse.."not my fault".
Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
Yellow986S

I am still having problems getting the driver side headlight to lock in place.
Also the headlight is not attaching to the wiring connector and the lights are not getting power.
I think I will have to manually connect the wiring but I have no idea how to get the headlight to lock in place.
I have tried so many things including buying a new locking bar.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?
Can I make a bracket to hold it in place?
Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Yellow986S

Tuan I have the black LED headlights. I am having problems with the fitment.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Pictures?

First, you need to remove the bad locking bar. Next, with no locking bar in, figure out why the socket isn't seating. My guess is that the car side of the socket connector is loose or out if place as this is common. Lastly, install new lock bar and make sure that the tool you are using to turn it is a snug fit and not loose (you don't want to strip the new one).

Reinsert the headlight and be careful about turning the lock bar. When everything is aligned right, the first 1/4 turn toward the rear of the car(with tool handle starting at upright position) should move the headlight back snug...that's how you know the lock bar is in the correct position and the connector is aligned. Now, the last 1/4 turn to the rear will be harder, finishing with a loud pop which indicates that it's locked.

Primary point: remove lock bar and find your binding/seating issue.

Last edited by particlewave; 10-03-2013 at 09:25 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:43 AM   #12

I just got my car back from the Porsche dealer around here (The Collection, I had my AOS fail) and the Porsche mechanics weren't able to make them lock.
I mean if they can't fit them, who can?
The rep told me to just ask for my money back, as also the Chrome parts have black spots and it looks cheap.
I am gonna try one last time today to "file" the part where it its supposed to lock as per Jeff's "guide"
After that, if they don't lock I'll ask for my money back.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow986S View Post
I think I will have to manually connect the wiring but I have no idea how to get the headlight to lock in place.
Have a go at the connector from the inside of the wheel well. You can displace the wheel well lining by removing the two plastic push-clips on the well itself (located right in front of the wheel). Turn your steering/wheels in the opposite direction of the headlight you are working on. That will give you plenty of room to 'gently pull' off the well enough to work out your hand/arm inside the fender and manually plug the headlight connector. The well's material is flexible so no worries however careful about the paint on the edge of the fender it can chip badly in this area (wet paint).

RE locking the headlight; try lifting the headlight with your finger under the indicator. Not too much but just enough so the bar have room to do the swing in the locking position.

I've not experienced the issue you both are having but can easily understand how frustrating :/
Old 10-04-2013, 06:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
I just got my car back from the Porsche dealer around here (The Collection, I had my AOS fail) and the Porsche mechanics weren't able to make them lock.
I mean if they can't fit them, who can?
The rep told me to just ask for my money back, as also the Chrome parts have black spots and it looks cheap.
I am gonna try one last time today to "file" the part where it its supposed to lock as per Jeff's "guide"
After that, if they don't lock I'll ask for my money back.
Thinking of it, although this might sound really silly, do you have a Heat Gun?

You could heat up the headlight housing just enough so it shapes to the railing system & locking mechanism. Careful not to melt it but it would need to be very hot to work. You can't force anything when the unit is hot, but you can pry with medium force just so it learn and adjust itself to the railing system. When cool down, give it a good go in locking position.

My only concern with this approach is you may not be able to remove it if locked when HOT... hence why I recommend a cool down before slamming it in place.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Thinking of it, although this might sound really silly, do you have a Heat Gun?

You could heat up the headlight housing just enough so it shapes to the railing system & locking mechanism. Careful not to melt it but it would need to be very hot to work. You can't force anything when the unit is hot, but you can pry with medium force just so it learn and adjust itself to the railing system. When cool down, give it a good go in locking position.

My only concern with this approach is you may not be able to remove it if locked when HOT... hence why I recommend a cool down before slamming it in place.
No, sadly, I do not own a heat gun. Then again, why should I go thru this much trouble?
Even if it was feasible I don't think it's my responsibility to go thru this many measures (that are actually destroying the piece) in order to make it work.
I tried filing it, and it would not lock still. I just email Jeff for my money back.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by batshapedheart View Post
No, sadly, I do not own a heat gun. Then again, why should I go thru this much trouble?
Even if it was feasible I don't think it's my responsibility to go thru this many measures (that are actually destroying the piece) in order to make it work.
I tried filing it, and it would not lock still. I just email Jeff for my money back.
This is the best route, IMO. How many units manufactured and sold? Supposedly improved second generation with the same problems and more?
On top of that, they look very cheap and cost way too much. Ok on a black car...but just ok.

The bottom line is that they're slapping these units together on the cheap and putting a huge price tag on them because they're for a Porsche. As long as people keep buying them, why would they put any more money into actual R&D?
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #17

They indeed look super sexy on a black boxster. Too bad it didn't workd out as planned
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #18

Typical aftermarket crap. And once you spend the time 'modifying' things to fit, they refuse to take the 'now damaged' part back. Oh where oh where has integrity gone? I suggest contacting the seller, daily until you get a full refund.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #19

Haha, watching you guys bash my lights makes my heart sink.

Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Haha, watching you guys bash my lights makes my heart sink.

Sophie is no longer alive right?

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote