Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 AM   #1

Exhaust options

I know this Is one of the topics discussed at length on this site, but my question is what exhaust system sounds most liKe a Porsche system? I'm trying to keep the sound Porsche, just a little beefier than the stock 986, and don't want it to sound like a Honda civic. In already have secondary cat deletes installed. Just looking for better sound without it sounding cheesy

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #2

My 2 cents, others may disagree:

From my experience it is more of question as to how well you tolerate drone which typically occurs between 2500 and 2900 rpms. I purchased my Boxster S used and it came with the B&B TriFlow system already on it. Much throatier sound than stock and I loved the burble during deceleration, but, after a year or so it really started to annoy me, that's me.

From what I have read over the past several years if you want great sound without drone you have 4 options:

-The Porsche OEM PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust) exhaust option, pricey.
-Crios Exhaust Mod, it is simply modifying your stock exhaust with drilling. http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/19770-diy-exhaust-mod-%96-gain-10-hp.html
-Pedro's Exhaust Mod, search for it here.
-Fister Exhaust, not widely known in the Boxster community but very well known with 911 guys. http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-boxster Great company and great people to deal with.

Here is the same set-up I have on my old 911, great sound without a hint of drone:

If you don't care about drone (it usually takes awhile to get on your nerves) buy Chinese / Cheap. An interesting article:

Pelican Technical Article: Installing a Performance Boxster Exhaust System - 986 / 987

Last edited by coreseller; 09-19-2013 at 04:41 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #3

Garage
Seems to be some merit to staying with oem manufacturer for the muffler

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
DIY extremist

I think that the stock "S" muffler with secondary cats removed sounds great. Quiet enough and low toned at idle, but boisterous at speed.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Need For Speed

Garage
I bought the secondary cat delete pipes. Will put them on in a couple weeks and video sound before and after. Plan on doing the Crios Exhaust Mod eventually. I would really like to get a set of these.

Porsche Boxster 986 2 7L 3 2L NHP High Performance Headers with Sport Catalytic | eBay
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
I bought the secondary cat delete pipes. Will put them on in a couple weeks and video sound before and after. Plan on doing the Crios Exhaust Mod eventually. I would really like to get a set of these.

Porsche Boxster 986 2 7L 3 2L NHP High Performance Headers with Sport Catalytic | eBay
If I were you I'd do some research on those headers before I pulled the plug. Others have reported that their vehicles developed CEL's over time. I suspect, the quality of the 200 cats (or lack thereof) may have been at the root of the problem.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
If I were you I'd do some research on those headers before I pulled the plug. Others have reported that their vehicles developed CEL's over time. I suspect, the quality of the 200 cats (or lack thereof) may have been at the root of the problem.
It's the only header I know of that will fit a Boxster with a Tiptronic trans, except the same guy has these without the cats, then you have to run longer O2 sensors and put cats in the secondary spot.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #8

The reason I am planning this project soon is I think my cats are starting to deteriorate. I have already removed my secondaries due to them starting to deteriorate internally. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I look forward to anyone posting video of newly installed exhaust. I am looking for something a little more throaty than the stock system, just don't want it to sound Honda-ish

dennis is offline   Reply With Quote