Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #61

There are a few letters to Autoweek in the September 30 issue in response to the original column. None is from a customer who has experienced engine failure. But a couple (from owners of a Cayenne and a brand-new 2014 Panamera) paint a picture of Porsche's indifference to customers, bordering on contempt. The Panamera owner describes it as a "customer-twist-in-the wind approach."

As usual, angry customers are the ones making the noise, but it doesn't bode well for any of us who might experience serious issues. As I've mentioned earlier, my 2004 S has been remarkably reliable. I have very decent dealer and independent service options here. Just hope I never need to rely upon the good will or generosity or even common sense of Porsche AG.

Gil

riverside986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverside986 View Post
Just hope I never need to rely upon the good will or generosity or even common sense of Porsche AG.

Gil
Why arent you just addressing your IMS? Was there any mention in the follow up to Autoweek about the many options owners have to avert this disaster well in advance of catastrophic failure?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
Why arent you just addressing your IMS? Was there any mention in the follow up to Autoweek about the many options owners have to avert this disaster well in advance of catastrophic failure?
Is it just the issue of the IMS? Don't think so. The followup letters to Autoweek mostly addressed unrelated problems and Porsche's response (or lack thereof).

I've owned a few other high-tech, sometimes problematic cars in the past decade. When costly problems arose, the manufacturer and dealer usually made a reasonable effort to help. One dealer even terminated an obnoxious service adviser in the process. In more than one instance, the dealer joined the manufacturer in bearing some significant share of the expense of a costly repair on a car a few months out of warranty. I don't have a lot of confidence that Porsche would offer to pick up much, if any, of the check in similar circumstances. If there are those out there ready to sing hymns of praise for this sort of support from Porsche, I will cheerfully recant my views.

My local Porsche dealer also has the franchises for several other quality imports. I have purchased 9.5 cars from their family-owned business in the past thirty-seven years. (The "0.5" was my wife's Smart coupe.) The Porsche sales manager (whom I've known since '97) recently insisted that their service director discuss with me my options on the IMS situation. Poor guy was totally defensive. Little like "Nathan Thurm," the chain-smoking, fast-talking character created by comedian Martin Short years ago. He was extremely uncomfortable explaining Porsche's position, or even acknowledging that there was a problem. And yes, the service department would agree to update the bearing but discouraged it because of the "thousands of dollars" in labor!

I don't condemn the Porsche product or reputable dealers. And I do plan to shop for an experienced local installer for the IMS bearing upgrade.

Last edited by riverside986; 09-28-2013 at 05:32 PM.
riverside986 is offline   Reply With Quote