Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Would you do it again

This is such a great forum for those of us on the fence,whether we are looking for a weekend car or daily driver. IMS fears probably the biggest concern, even though the numbers are small, but I know those of you that have purchased probably hesitated like some of us. My question is after all you read, then finally pulling the trigger, would you do it all over again?

Thanks

Paul

Britus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Damn Yankee

Garage
Absolutely.

Hey, I owned 4 MGBs. I know what it's like to be wondering if I made the right decision. They were great kinesthetic driving machines, though.

And most of the Porsches I've owned have been sterling performers. I have found that if you drive them daily, even just to get them up to temp, they last a long time with proper maintenance.

TO

Last edited by TeamOxford; 09-14-2013 at 06:12 PM.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
jakesbox

I've done it twice and would again. Did the IMS upgrade too and would do it again...
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

Garage
Without a second thought.

This is absolutely the happiest I have been with a car. That perma grin is still here!

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #5

Garage
The IMS issue was for the most part an unknown (at least a remedy for it) when I purchased my "box" back in 2004. But, to answer your question, would I do it again ?Maybe, but this time without the 40K in mods. Then again, it wouldn't be the Dangermobile now would it.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Absolutely.

Hey, I owned 4 MGBs. I know what it's like to be wondering if I made the right decision. They were great kinesthetic driving machines, though.

And most of the Porches I've owned have been sterling performers. I have found that if you drive them daily, even just to get them up to temp, they last a long time with proper maintenance.

TO
I have a '64 MKII that just needs an engine & trans!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

ABSOLUTELY! I am so thankful for my Porsche experience, although some days I'm weary of the problems that tend to come along with old-car ownership. I wish I bought newer but then I don't need to fret much about depreciation these days.
I got to the point that I knew if I stayed with Japanese-only vehicles, I was going to miss out on too much of what the world has to offer. For better or worse, I'm now fearless and am entertaining Aston or Ferrari ownership in years to come. It's only money and I'm here for experience.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
recycledsixtie

Garage
I would not hesitate to do it again. Repairs so far are acceptable. Unbelievable number of Boxsters for sale this time of year but few older Cayman. The latter are still out of my price range now but am willing to wait for the right moment.

If the Box blows up tomorrow it still will have been worth the ride.....I am enjoying the moment.
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #9

It absolutely depends on where you bought on the depreciation curve. If you bought new, Ouch!!!! Within 5 years of new, still a bit butt hurt. Six to 10 years old, not feeling nearly as stung. If you purchased in the past 2 to 4 years, probably feeling ok, etc.

Take the resale value out of the equation, these are incredible cars for the money.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #10

I drove my Boxster for 6 years and 60K miles as a daily driver. In the end, I sold it for $12K less than what I bought it for (so it cost me $2K per year in depreciation). I paid a bit more than a typical car for consumables (tires, brakes, etc) and routine maintenance.

You can't drive a Honda Civic for that. Would I do it again? Yes, I did. I went out and bought another old Porsche.

I didn't care about the IMS. But if it bothers you, there is a solution. Put a new bearing in for $2K. IF you can't afford that, then you shouldn't be buying this car.

/

Last edited by fatmike; 09-12-2013 at 04:45 PM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britus View Post
would you do it all over again?

Thanks

Paul
Heck yeah I would do it all over again. I have driven over 220,000 miles in the Jägermobile, and I can’t imagine not having a Boxster in the stable for the rest of my life. It might be a newer model in ten years but the way this car keeps going, who knows???

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Vista glass

Garage
Yes
Life is short. I went in aware of the issues. I expect to invest time and money to equal 2K per year average. IMO it's worth it.
Vista glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

I'd do it again in a millisecond. I never worry about the IMSB. I have 130,000 miles on the Boxster and 118,00 miles on the 996. Both with the original IMSB. Both run perfect.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
Oh yeah, I would do it again. I only planned on keeping this car for a year or so but it's the most fun car I have ever owned. I may do it again in a year or so.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 PM   #15

I'm already planning to do just that. I'm selling my 99 to make it easier to buy a house next June. After that, I'll be looking for another one. But this time, I'm really thinking about about a 986 S or 987.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #16

When I was looking for a Porsche in early 2008, I was shown more than a few dogs (how any feeling person can treat good engineering the way some of those cars must have been treated amazes me), and in exasperation I contacted the local OPC in Brisbane, expecting a curtious brush off when the amount of money I wished to spend was discussed. But on the contrary I was received and listened to and asked if I had considered the Boxster (I was looking for a 3,0 / 3,2 or 964 Carrera). Anyway they let me loose in an early 2.5 Boxster which had a lot of miles. I declined this car but they promised to let me know when a good one turned up. Yeah right I thought.
About 6 weeks later (in the meantime I had seen a couple more 3.2 Carrera semi-dogs), I got a phone call saying they had a trade in 986 S that "looked very, very good". I took one drive and that was it - I knew within the first 500 yards that it was head and shoulders above anything else I had tried..... It probably didn't have the build quality of the earlier Carreras, but the driving experience was wonderfull.
Would I do it again - without a doubt and I would add that I would go again to the OPC and ask them to source a car for me. The stars were in alignment for me that day. I paid top dollar but got a top car too.
But I've still got a hankering for a 993.....

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 09-12-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #17

Yep. It's coming up on two years and I still love the thing. I've gotten sick of most other cars within six months.
Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #18
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinhunter View Post
without a second thought.

This is absolutely the happiest i have been with a car. That perma grin is still here!
this!!!!!!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #19

To this point it is unanimous. I would do it again in a minute. The only qustion is why I waited so long to buy another Porsche. IMO the car is an incredibly cohesive and balanced design with - and here is that word again, incredibly 'balanced' performance. The combination of steering, braking, acceleration, handling and sound (especially above 4000 RPM's) is sensational. Add to that decent ergonomics and luggage space, excellent HVAC and, in spite of significant production numbers and the car's age, some status, what else can provide similar bang for the buck? And yes, 'for the buck' includes the relatively high maintenance costs associated with owning an aging thoroughbred.

I never tire of driving it and in fact, find excuses for longer trips through sports car country. In July my wife and I drove the Cabot trail in Cape Breton and, even though we just got back from a trip to Jamaica on Monday, I have convinced her that we really need a get-away this weekend to a nice resort in Muskoka - and yes, lets take the Boxster to enjoy the scenery with the top down. She still gets a bit tense powering through winding country roads, but I have booked her a massage upon our arrival at Taboo resort. Just thinking of her (and the hour I will have to go out on my own and REALLY drive it)!

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #20
haz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britus View Post
This is such a great forum for those of us on the fence,whether we are looking for a weekend car or daily driver. IMS fears probably the biggest concern, even though the numbers are small, but I know those of you that have purchased probably hesitated like some of us. My question is after all you read, then finally pulling the trigger, would you do it all over again?

Thanks

Paul
I asked myself the same question. Did the IMS upgrade just now after purchasing the car july 4th. Ask me again in a few months when the car *knockonwood* has left my wallet alone when it comes to unexpected bills..

haz is offline   Reply With Quote