Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Funny facts...

I dropped my box to an IMS retrofit with the famous LN blabla kit...
I just received a call from my mechanic because the kti send was the wrong one and LN don't want exchange it because the box was opened...
So my mechanic have to buy 2 kit from them for one car ! Do you think this situation is fair ?

Old 09-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Boy, was I disappointed to open this thread and find exactly zero funny facts
Old 09-10-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

Assuming your mechanic is correct, have you talked to Charles Navarro at LN Eng? He seems like a pretty reasonable guy, and I'm sure if it was their mistake that he would own up.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Boy, was I disappointed to open this thread and find exactly zero funny facts
Irony dear

I do not speak to anyone yet, but this is a bit unfair this situation...
Old 09-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #5

I guess the question will be, did they send the wrong kit, or did you order the wrong kit? Either way, it seems a bit unreasonable that they would refuse to exchange it. Be interesting to see how this turns out.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #6

We are only hearing one side of the story. Let's see how this plays out.

Charles Navarro is a SUPER NICE guy. I had a good chat with him at Road America duing the Labor Day weekend PCA races there 2 weeks ago.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #7

The fact is I didn't order anything, my mechanic did. But anyway I have my own business and I do not business that way.
I am a little bit disappointed, basically an exchange is not a thing complicated to do. Or do you think my mechanics try to play me ?
Old 09-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Dude View Post
The fact is I didn't order anything, my mechanic did. But anyway I have my own business and I do not business that way.
I am a little bit disappointed, basically an exchange is not a thing complicated to do. Or do you think my mechanics try to play me ?
Unless you gave him the exact part number to order, your mechanic is at fault and he should get this resolved, one way or another. The fact that he would try to push that off on you says a lot about his character (or lack of), in my opinion. I would probably go with a different mechanic.
Taipanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
jakesbox

Wait wait wait....is your mechanic asking you to pay up for another one? I would be going seriously nuts right now on my mechanic. His fault if he ordered. Shame if they wont exchange it out...if that is in fact the case.

If it were me, Id be pulling my car off to another shop if they are asking you to pay double...
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #10

if LN made the mistake, i'm sure they'll own up to it and make it right. if the mechanic made the mistake, that's on him.

LN makes this policy very clear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN Engineering Warranty Page
No returns or exchanges permitted on any IMS related products.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #11

I wonder why that is.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #12

@Taipanic : Don't misunderstand me, he didn't try to.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
I wonder why that is.
Me too... I really don't understand this !
Old 09-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #14

Let's hear from the LN folks.

Unless something unusual is going on with your engine, your car has a single row bearing since it is a 2003 model. Either your mechanic ordered a double row bearing before he removed the flywheel to inspect the style of the IMS flange or your mechanic's parts supplier shipped the incorrect part.

I believe, but I could be wrong, that LN doesn't accept IMS returns if the packaged item has been opened because of the possibility that the bearing could have been damaged during a failed installation that isn't obvious to the eye. Given the havoc that could occur to another customer's car if the bearing was damaged prior to installation and it subsequently failed, this seems like a reasonable policy to me.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #15

I agree with Thom, I dont want to be buying a "Used" bearing from LN due to a mechanic botching up the install and returning it.

I'd say its the mechanics mistake, although if it could be inspected by LN to see if it is still suitable for an install perhaps the Mechanic could sell it as is to recoup some of his loss.

I was also expecting a lighter thread so I'll toss in some humorous trivia.

Ferdinand Porsche Sr is a Weiner!!!

Gp here to find out why: Ferdinand Anton Ernst Porsche - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hint: "Born"
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #16

@ Thom : you true !

Anyway I will go see what's happening tomorrow directly to my mechanic !
Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #17

Garage
For my first IMS upgrade, not knowing if I had a single or double row bearing, I asked LNE if they would send one of each bearing type and I would return the bearing that I didn’t install. They had no issue with that, as it worked-out I had a single row bearing so I returned the double row bearing. Yes I paid for both bearings first but I got a full refund on the returned bearing.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #18

I tink its only unfair if you can show that your mechanic ordered the correct part and received the wrong one from LNE.

This is a crticial engine part, one that could do a great deal of damage if installed incorrectly or is somehow damaged. I don't see how LNE can guarantee the part to the next owner once it has been returned by a mechanic.

It's like trying to return an unrolled condom at the drugstore. "See it's dry that means its not been used, what do you mean you can't give me my money back?!? I demand to speak to the manager!"
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #19

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Carrrrrs arggg!

Sometime mishaps like this can be put aside for a day or two until tension goes down on each sides. Normally thing's gets back to normal when both side have come down. Give it 48hrs and deal with it when everybody got their cool-mood restored.

To add, don't feel bad for your mechanic, or for quitting him. He won't go out of business because of a bearing mate. Give a call to the maxspeed-motorsports guys if you are stuck with finding another mechanic to swap the bearing for you.

Best of luck to you and the boxster
Old 09-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #20

I think the problem is the mechanic placed the order, but the customer (OP) have recommended LN. So the mechanic blame the customer for the solid LN policy and possibly saying that 'his' supplier(s) are all having return policies (tadatadada). If this is the case all should end up with a 50/50 responsibility.

Correct?