Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Boy, was I disappointed to open this thread and find exactly zero funny facts
+1 on this.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #22

Well for the moment no news from LN whatever...
I go see my mechanic
Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #23

So I had some news from my mechanic.
Apparently my Box is one of the rare 2003 with dual row. LN sent a single row since it's a 2003.
But now they don't want to return it because for them 2003 has single row and not dual row and the package has been opened.
I went to my mechanic to see it by myself, and that's it 2003 can have some dual row.
By the way it is in perfect condition.
So I contacted LN by email but they never answered.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #24

porsche phased out the dual row with the 01 MY... 02+ have single row. are you sure the engine is the original one?
Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #25

That's actually good news for your (the dual row). Put it this way, I'd rather have a dual row car and lose the cost of the part than to have $600 still in my pocket and a single row bearing car. The fact that you have an S engine also means you have the better cylinder walls than even the 3.4 Carrera. Your car probably had an RMS or previous IMS issue and they used one of the leftover factory rebuilt 2000 engines, the first year of the 3.2 engine and only a fraction were dual row before they switched over to the disastrous single row for the rest of 2000.

If you had a single row bearing you would need to change it more often, or you would have to go to the much more expensive permanent replacement part. The dual row lasts longer, has been far more reliable and only needs to come when you replace the clutch, a long-lasting part in its own way. Congratulations.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-11-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #26

Out of interest, what is the serial number of your engine? The last 5 digits are sequential serial numbers, but the number preceding that (or letter in the case of engines assembled through 1999) would indicate the year of manufacture of your engine. As I understand it, it is the year of manufacture of the engine that is important and, especially if you have an early 2003 MY, it would not surprise me if your engine was manufactured in 2001. My 2000 model year base (October 1999 assembly) has an engine build year of 1998 (denoted by a Y prior to the last 5 numbers). If you have a '1' prior to the last 5 digits, then the engine was built in 2001, even though your car is 2003.

Brad
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #27

Brad...
Are you mixing up the VIN number with the engine number??
On your car the Y indicating year of manufacture is part of the VIN number. My engine number is just a series of numbers (no letters apart from M96/ *****) with nothing to indicate year of manufacture.....
Old 09-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Dude View Post
So I had some news from my mechanic.
Apparently my Box is one of the rare 2003 with dual row. LN sent a single row since it's a 2003.
But now they don't want to return it because for them 2003 has single row and not dual row and the package has been opened.
I went to my mechanic to see it by myself, and that's it 2003 can have some dual row.
By the way it is in perfect condition.
So I contacted LN by email but they never answered.
2003 Boxster engines are substantially different from previous years & I don't believe any 2003 engines came with dualrow IMSB. Maybe your car has a older replacement engine or engine case with the original heads.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #29

Garage
+1 this is solely your mechanics problem, you have to take what they say at face value also. It's not like people try to shirk responsibility.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAUSIDMT View Post
+1 this is solely your mechanics problem, you have to take what they say at face value also. It's not like people try to shirk responsibility.
Yeah right, politicians are the same way. IMSB retrofit is not the time to discover you have been deceived! :ah:
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #31

Thanks for your answers all!

I'll clear up the origin of the engine later!