Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

Question Accelerator and Electrical Issues

Today I bought a 2001 Boxster from an estate. It has sat dormant for the last nine months. The administrator bought a new battery for it and it started fine although there were several "idiot lights" lit and the speedometer did not function. (Power windows wouldn't roll down from the switches except they would partially lower for door openings and for top roll-back).

On the way home, the accelerator pedal ceased to provide input to the engine (it would idle but no pulling power).

Methinks (and hopes!) this is a "simple" electrical issue.

We jumpered another vehicle battery to this new one and after a bit it would start fine but then would go a couple of miles and die out (to idle most of the time).

About the 8th time (in 45 miles) I had closed the top and turned on the A/C. The A/C worked great for a time and then would shut off and not long after the limit to idle occurred again.

I have been on the web for about an hour and am wondering if this is an "ignition switch" issue or a series of other issues.

Would rather check and fix this myself, but may resort to the local dealer (who told me it would cost $110 just to reset the codes).

Any input is greatly appreciated!

utkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #2

You got the car in Alexander City? Isn't it an S?

Where are you located? I'm in Panama City Beach and can try to help you.

Yes, the ignition switch does weird things...so does a bad voltage regulator. Get codes read for free at AutoZone, NAPA or Advance and see what you've got.

Old gas can be an issue as well but get the codes read.

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote