Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #1

Oil filter housing loose !

I serviced my boxster s yesterday and drove it about 5 miles and parked it . This morning i decided to dip the oil and check the level manually before checking the level on the clocks display. spot on. So i looked underneath for leaks. Dripping oil filter housing. I had replaced this with a genuine one from porsche. It was slightly different as it had a metal part in the bottom. I assumed this was a magnet.
Anyway i wiped the new one off that was leaking and " shock horror" it was loose. I spun it undone and took it off for inspection. Expecting to find a crack init. I tightened it by hand and then used the porsche tool to tighten. So i was surprised when it was so loose! Anyone else experienced this??
I just googled the old one and it seems to be an 03-08 one.
My car is a 2000 . tomorrow i will inspect the new one i bought and see ifthe part number matches . This is the second thing that has had an 04 part number on my cars engine. Maybe its had a new engine?

Mikelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #2

I think you just had a loose oil filter canister, nothing more. If they are torqued to the correct setting, they do not come loose.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #3

I hope its as simple. This time i using a torque wrench. i pulled the wrench hard and didnt want to go more as i feared it would crack. How tight is 25 nm? Wheel nut tight?
Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #4

I just did mine yesterday too. Not that I'm strong, but with rubber gloves for grip, I spun it on, felt the o-ring engage, and then tightened it as tight as I could with both hands. Was going to leave it at that but for good measure, I put my strap wrench on it and gave it a final tightening. Much to my surprise, it broke loose and spun another half turn before it finally got tight.

Oh, and 25 nm is only 18.5 ft-lbs., no where near "wheel lug" tight.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelove View Post
I hope its as simple. This time i using a torque wrench. i pulled the wrench hard and didnt want to go more as i feared it would crack. How tight is 25 nm? Wheel nut tight?
Try 50Nm or 37 ft. lb.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

Maybe i will use thread lock lol
Old 09-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
I just changed my oil the other day in the boxster for the first time. If I hadn't used a torque wrench I don't think I would have gotten it right. It only turns freely the first few threads and then it gets pretty tight. If I are working at any sort of awkward angle under the car, then in my opinion you would have a hard time tightening it up past the o-ring using only your hands, especially if you are wearing gloves that might be slippery. After I got it as tight as I could by hand, I put the torque wrench on it, and got several more turns out of before it hit bottom and then "clicked over" on the wrench.

My torque wrench was on a major sale at Harbor Freight one time, 10$ I think with a combination of sales and a 20% coupon. 25n/m is 19 ft/lb and I got the values from the Pelican Parts 101 Projects:

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Oil Change - 986 / 987

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #8

Just use the OEM removal tool to tighten and loosen... not tough to do with the right tools.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Try 50Nm or 37 ft. lb.
NO!!! The filter housing is 19 ft-lbs. 37 is the oil drain plug.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #10

Im off to go and do it now. It says on the plastic housing. Tighten to 25nm.
i was under the car whilst it was half way up a wall and half way up a scaffold board . Safe but it was difficult to see what was going on with the thread. I could just about see the thread.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #11

The part numbers are the same on both housings.
One has a magnet and the other dont.
I called my local independent porsche garage and they said
Sounds like you did nothing wrong. Send the new housing back.
Ive fitted the old one back on. And test driven the car for 10 miles . No leaks.
I also used a torque wrench and 25nm is nothing. I did it allot tighter than that.
The tool actually slipped around the housing set at 30nm.
So it cant go much tighter.
Even though it didnt slip when i pulled it the first time..
the tool fits the newer housing tighter than it does the old one.
Genuine porsche tool ? Not sure it is..
I called the porscheshop where i bought the housing and they said return it for testing asap pls.
We need to know if there is an issue with them!
So im posting it shortly for a refund.
Meanwhile i will check under my engine everytime before i go out in it.
"Just to be safe"
Old 02-04-2023, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
I think you just had a loose oil filter canister, nothing more. If they are torqued to the correct setting, they do not come loose.
Beg to differ. Has happened twice in the 20 years I have own and serviced the 01 986. I will be doing a safety wire mod tomorrow. Dodged the bullet twice. Torqued with snap on torque wrench.
20986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20986 View Post
Beg to differ. Has happened twice in the 20 years I have own and serviced the 01 986. I will be doing a safety wire mod tomorrow. Dodged the bullet twice. Torqued with snap on torque wrench.
And I torque them for a living and have literally done thousands of them; if they are properly torqued, they do not come loose, period.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:31 AM   #14
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20986 View Post
I have to wonder, why are you commenting on a 10 year old posting?
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
I have to wonder, why are you commenting on a 10 year old posting?
Maybe he just noticed?

Perhaps ill-advisedly, back when I was still using the original filter housing setup I'd just crank it on by hand til it felt right. After quite a few oil changes, I never once had one come loose or leak. Maybe I was lucky. I now use torque wrenches more than I used to, though certainly not in every setting.

I've long since switched to the LNE spin-on filter adapter, which I like. I confess, I still don't use a torque wrench here. I've stuck with the old advice of tighten til the rubber O-ring just touches, then turn another 3/4 of a turn. That works out to tightening it about as far as I can by hand. In all the times I've changed the oil, the filter's never really come loose. One time, a few weeks after the most recent oil change, I was under the car for something else and did notice a tiny bit of 'glistening' at the base of the filter. There was an ever-so-slight dampness from oil, nowhere near enough to actually run down the filter let alone drip on the floor. (I checked the dipstick—it indicated full.) I cranked it 'a bit' tighter and the issue went away.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 05:11 AM   #16
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
whoa Trigger

Lug bolts are 95 ftlbs a ****************load tighter than an oil filter
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:51 PM   #17

Plastic oil filter canister lids on Mercedes are torqued to 25nm

Plastic oil filter canister lids on VW/Audi are ?? ( i think I recall my TDI was 25nm)

Plastic oil filter housings on Boxsters are 25 nm

Germans are like that.

I can use the same tool on filters on my gas Mercedes, the Boxster, and one of my BMW motorcycles. 74/14

Germans are like that.

Don't forget the o-ring. It needs to be a new one.

Own a torque wrench (probably two)
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles

Last edited by lkchris; 02-07-2023 at 03:04 PM.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:40 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Plastic oil filter canister lids on Mercedes are torqued to 25nm

Plastic oil filter canister lids on VW/Audi are ?? ( i think I recall my TDI was 25nm)

Plastic oil filter housings on Boxsters are 25 nm

Germans are like that.

I can use the same tool on filters on my gas Mercedes, the Boxster, and one of my BMW motorcycles.
Yep. The wrench I have for my K bike also gets used on my Boxster and my daughter’s Jetta!