Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 02:28 AM   #1

RMS + IMS change with the engine out

Hi! I'm doing a repair with the engine out on a Porsche dealer. How much would be a reasonable labor time to replace the IMS and the RMS? 3 to 5 hours?

The repair I'm doing is a bit expensive, so I'm trying to figure out if I can support the extra for changing this stuff too.

urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
haz

You left you Boxster without agreeing on a price? I heard 12-17 hrs for just IMS.
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #3

No, I'm repairing worn out chain pads, and some problems that were originated by that. They already dropped the engine out of the car, so I was hoping it would be a lot less than 12 hours to replace the IMS...
Old 08-27-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
haz

aha.. I see then. Can't you just call up and ask for a price? And not every shop does the IMS upgrade. Even my Official Porshce Center Oslo wouldn't tough this job..
haz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:28 AM   #5

I can do that, but I wanted to have some guidelines about what is acceptable, before I talk to the dealership.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:07 AM   #6

If the engine is out and split from the transmission 2 to 3 hours max. If the shop has performed procedure before they could likely do it in an hour or less. Opinions may vary on this but from my experience my 2 cents.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #7

A YouTube video (for a Carrera, basically same though) that clearly explains procedure:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by coreseller; 08-27-2013 at 04:17 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #8

No the engine is out, with the gearbox still attached to it. That would be how much time on top of those 3 hours?

Last edited by urban; 08-27-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
The Legend

Manual or Tiptronic? I think there extra labor involved for Tiptronic cars. I should know, I did IMS on my Tip! I've just never touched a Manual!
boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #10

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 02:35 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban View Post
Hi! I'm doing a repair with the engine out on a Porsche dealer. How much would be a reasonable labor time to replace the IMS and the RMS? 3 to 5 hours?

The repair I'm doing is a bit expensive, so I'm trying to figure out if I can support the extra for changing this stuff too.
With the engine out of the car and on a stand for other purposes, a RMS and IMS replacement should take substantially less than two hours; maybe 1 1/2 hours total.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxslrr View Post
Manual or Tiptronic? I think there extra labor involved for Tiptronic cars. I should know, I did IMS on my Tip! I've just never touched a Manual!
It's manual, boxslrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
Why are you changing your IMS bearing? is it fried already or you just feel very generous
Because I had a problem with cam timing, and because the engine is out. If it's not much more, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
With the engine out of the car and on a stand for other purposes, a RMS and IMS replacement should take substantially less than two hours; maybe 1 1/2 hours total.
Thanks, JFP in PA
Old 08-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #13
The Legend

Many people do IMS/RMS and Clutch/Flywheel concurrently since the labor to access them is the same, if you're near ready for clutch work now would be the time, so you don't have to pay labor again when the clutch starts going out.
boxslrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #14

If engine is out, the effort is about 1hr or less @$140/hr (reference to few labor rate in Houston) + parts/material. If tranny is not off, add another hour.

Trey T is offline   Reply With Quote