Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

Need a new car! Thinking of e36 M3!

So! My WRX has left my hands to another in the family. My 986 is about to head up to Cali for a few months for some engine surgery, and I need a new car to drive me around while she is there! I do not plan on financing any car, and would rather just use what I've saved up to buy a car outright. I'm looking for something a bit more practical (4 seats, maybe 4 doors), fast-ish (not necessary, but still important), and cheap to maintain (relatively). I've been looking around and considering all options... Even the occasional Honda Civic... Budget of about 10k, but I'd like to spend less than 6k. I'm still young, single with no kids (known), good savings and investments, so I really would like to avoid trucks/SUVs. Really, just another daily driver to replace the WRX alongside my 986.

I've found some really cheap E36 M3s around my area (as low as 4k!) and test drove some. They feel really promising. A lot of power and great driving feel, not unlike the 986.

My questions are as follows:

Anyone ever own E36 M3s? How were they? Reliable? Cheaper to maintain than a Porsche?

Anyone have any other suggestions for a 4 seater that's fun to drive?

Last edited by Crono0001; 08-25-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #2

Hey crono I don't own a e36 M3 but I have 3 friends that do and daily drive them. First thing is first, they are pretty cheap to buy, feel good but they are old german cars, so Parts are expensive. My friends haven't had any major problems with their cars but perusing an m3 forum would definitely give you a better perspective. Make sure to check the suspension that is what my friends have had problems with. Then again we live in jersey with snow and salt.

I would personally look for an e34 M5 just because its a rarer car, more power, and looks good. Only thing is that they are not under 6k but they can be found under 10k.

Also think of it this way if you do spend 4k on an M3 then you use the 2k to make sure its not going to fail.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

I babysat a friends 1998 M3 coupe for a year while he was down a parking space. Having a fast second car is what led me to own my Boxster.

You can definitely get an E36 M3 cheap and here are some of the reasons for that. BMW interiors from that era just don't stand up to time and weather particularly well. Much poorer than the Porsches from what I can see. Be prepared for lots of brittle fabric and the resulting dust, deriorating seals, non-functional luxury items like seat motors and auto climate. That series also had some serious transmission linkage issues, and not just the shift bushings, like broken centering springs. Lastly it burned oil like mad, which I gather is fairly common with the M3 engine at that time.

They are fun to drive of course, and have one of the stiffest clutches around so could be a good work out too.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #4

I've been browsing/posting a lot of bimmer forums. Some are biased, others are informative, but 986forum has a community I know and trust, and you can give me a perspective completely detached from the car.

I would much rather spend 4k on a car, and then 2k to make sure it stays going, than 8k on a newer car which poops out... although there could be a very long tunnel until I see the light (just like my 986!)
Old 08-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #5

One of the guys in a local club is selling an e36 M3: E36 97 M3 sedan, 5 speed, MA, silver/ black MA
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
One of the guys in a local club is selling an e36 M3: E36 97 M3 sedan, 5 speed, MA, silver/ black MA
That looks like a sweet ride! One of our engineers in or group is a huge BMW enthusiast and for a 4 door commuter and all the work that has been done he thinks its a sweet deal.

When you can talk to someone who is engaged in their car and done the work to it, I get more warm fuzzies than from an owner who goes...I changed the oil and she ran great.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out and what you end up with!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #7

You could PM Chard as he's had numerous BMW's and I've PM'ed him about them. My choice would be a 2003 540- the last year of that style and the fastest. I almost bought one before I bought my Boxster. It was a mint, low mile car and I walked away after reading an article stating that the engines are complex and difficult to work on ( for a back yard mechanic). That didn't stop me with my Boxster though!
I still long for that cool silver sleeper- so solid and fast!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

well, you've done german and Japanese, time to mix it up. English - how about one of those 400 hp supercharged jags? American - caddy? Swedish - saab 900 turbo? Italian - meh, not much under $10k there.

m3 is a good choice - always a couple at the track. fast.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
well, you've done german and Japanese, time to mix it up. English - how about one of those 400 hp supercharged jags? American - caddy? Swedish - saab 900 turbo? Italian - meh, not much under $10k there.

m3 is a good choice - always a couple at the track. fast.
I can't stand American cars. Straight line racing isn't my thing.
Don't really want a Jag or a Saab. In all honesty, I'm trying to look for something Japanese because they are really cheap and easy to maintain. The only reason I'm getting M3 fever is because I test drove some and fell in love with the power and driving feel.

Ughh, but I am so scared some maintenance costs are gonna throw me into the 8-9k range. PPI for sure.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #10

Garage
I needed another car as my wife does not like it when I put the 986 away for the winter months. She said 4 seats and 4 doors. I bought a Mazda RX 8 and it's perfect for my purposes.

Questionable snow car but it keeps miles off the Porsche, can actually take 4 people with some comfort, and is fun to drive.
gj3ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #11

I didn't think at all of those little rotary engines. I'll look into that as well!
Keep the suggestions coming. Test drove another Honda Civic today... My god they are creamy. The clutch and steering is so soft! But they beat on until infinity beautifully. I really love Hondas.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #12

Crono,

For you purposes an E36M3 4dr would do fine. They have issues like any car but are quite reliable for an "old" car.

I've owned a number of E36 and E46 BMW's, some of them M3s. By and large they are much cheaper to maintain than a Porsche. The fact that a few hundred thousand were imported keeps the cost down just like the Hondas you also like.

Personally I'm a track nut and only Porsches, BMWs and perhaps an STI or Nissan can be flogged on a track day in stock form and live to tell.

If you have any questions send me a PM.

Max
MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #13

Test drove an RX8 today. I loved the high rev! Back seats are a little small, but they're big enough to fit someone comfortably. It was smooth and sporty, although not as tight as the Boxster (obviously). E36 has a contender alright, especially since they're newer, have more creature comforts, and just as cheap! A little hard to maintain with the rotary engine though.

I also had an idea looking for a 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS AE86 (tofu car!), but the chances of me finding that in good shape will be very rare.

Keep the ideas coming!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
I didn't think at all of those little rotary engines. I'll look into that as well!
Keep the suggestions coming. Test drove another Honda Civic today... My god they are creamy. The clutch and steering is so soft! But they beat on until infinity beautifully. I really love Hondas.
Purchased a used 2009 Civic LX with an automatic for one of the kids to use earlier this year. It is dead reliable, rides well (much better than the Corolla my other kid has), plenty of room, etc. Like you said, they are very smooth and from what I have seen there is nothing bad to say or not to like about them. GREAT cars as an appliance, nothing inspiring about driving them though. If you bought the SI version with a manual that may be a different story.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 AM   #15

Last edited by madmods; 08-29-2013 at 02:31 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 AM   #16

Old 08-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #17

I resent that, madmods. I grew up on Japanese imports. To me, they're dead reliable, cheap, and easy to mod.

In all reality, I'm probably going to end up with an EK hatch Civic. It's cheap, fills my transportation needs which the Boxster lacks, provides fun mod opportunities for practically nothing, and can even handle some power when I'm done with the Boxster. Yes, the driving at first is ... well, barely existent. But I can teach my girlfriend how to drive stick! And it'll be a fun car I can tune and mod on my own time.

Also, the cheaper car I buy, the faster I can get my Boxster to Cali. I'm very excited for the 3.6

The M3 has everything I want, but I'm not sure if I want to handle the stress of another European car repair if it were to break down. I'm going to need it 100% when the 986 goes away.
I cannot stand American cars. Fast on the straights, but so empty everywhere else. I once rented a Camaro SS and prayed every time I stepped on the brakes that it would stop.
The RX8, while a great car, is just... well I can't think of a good argument against the RX8, aside from the fact that it will never live up to its predecessor... That and it's ugly... and lacks power... But we're Boxster drivers after all :P

Last edited by Crono0001; 08-28-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #18

Old 08-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Test drove an RX8 today. I loved the high rev! Back seats are a little small, but they're big enough to fit someone comfortably. It was smooth and sporty, although not as tight as the Boxster (obviously). E36 has a contender alright, especially since they're newer, have more creature comforts, and just as cheap! A little hard to maintain with the rotary engine though.

I also had an idea looking for a 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS AE86 (tofu car!), but the chances of me finding that in good shape will be very rare.

Keep the ideas coming!
Initial D all day right hahahaha. I don't know if you would like a 240sx or sil80. They are very cool, have semi-usable back seats, and are quite reliable. EK are little bubble shaped missiles if done right. Integras are also nice but they tend to be in terrible condition from previous owners.
Bmod986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:39 PM   #20

straight outta japan like a rocket from the crypt ...

Performance and Luxury Cars for sale | Supra, RX7, Skyline, WRX

The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote