Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #1

black Cayman

Just got back from picking up a couple of parts at the local dealer - saw a black Cayman. Wow. What a dark, sinister, wicked, fast looking car. The real life impression is way better than the photos.
BTW for tall folks - I sat my 6'4" frame in it - had at least 1-1/2 inches clear on top! Me and a helmet would fit easily, no problem.
This is really an attractive car.
Let's see...the first 36 mo. leases will expire and go on sale in Jan. 2009. Seems like an eternity.
Emotions overule rational thought: It was ten minutes out of the dealer before normal breathing returned, and I remembered that this car too will probably suffer from RMS disease. Are these the same blocks???

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:17 AM   #2

It's a 3.4 liter 295hp version of the water cooled flat six, so one would presume it to be heir to RMS issues, but we'll see.
Both of the local dealers had "wine and cheese" intro parties last Saturday, so I went to one of them. They had a demo car you could take for a ride, but I didn't drive it. Sat in one of the cars in the showroom ($71,000 sticker). Very nice. Seems roomier than the Box, although I'm sure the interior dimensions are the same. Could be the now open area behind the cockpit just lends that impression.
A very real alternative to the 911, in my opinion.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
Emotions overule rational thought: It was ten minutes out of the dealer before normal breathing returned
Was it kind of like meeting the girl of your dreams and then leaving without getting her phone number lol. That's how I kinda imagined it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:04 AM   #4

Roominess - I think there is actually more headroom in the coupe. Sure felt like it.

Alternative to a Carrera - depends on the buyer. Ignoring price, I think I would honestly choose the Cayman, just based on mid-engine balance and the looks. The looks (to me) are more seductive than a Carerra, but each has his/her own opinion. The black monster just looked RIGHT, and would turn heads. The rear haunches (fender humps?) look really nice from the front quarter angle, good job on the lines.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:12 AM   #5

Hi,

I think the Cayman S is a Wonderful Car and will really give the 997 a run for it's money. It's the Boxster which always should have been. Now, if they can just let the Sky in...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #6

How about if Porsche just creates a real Boxster S, with the Cayman engine?

C'mon guys, you know we want it!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote