Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #1

YouTube - $35 Chromecast is awesome

Not really Porsche related but if you're like me and use YouTube to watch Chris Harris on DRIVE or Top Gear, then this is a insanely awesome plug-in device (looks like a USB flash drive) to connect your TV to your Android device or Iphone/Ipad/Mac or PC. I just set it up last night with my Nexus 7 HD tablet, my Samsung 10" tablet, my Windows 7 laptop and my Razr Maxx phone -- took all of 5 minutes. On a 1 to 10 scale I give it a 14.

Basically you walk in your house, turn on the TV and from any of your Windows or Apple computers, Ipad/Iphone or Android devices you can instantly "beam" the videos to your living room TV without having to fumble with HDMI cables, you don't need to switch the TV input (the device does it automatically for you) and you don't have to fumble with those cheesy remotes that make you scroll left to right to to pick programming. You simply use your phone or tablet as the remote control, even to adjust the volume. With the touch screen it's a snap to switch between videos. And while the TV is plahying the latest 991 GT3 or Boxster S review, you can search for other videos on the tablet or phone, or you answer incoming emails or do anything else on your phone or tablet. No need to intterupt the playback on the TV.

It also works with the newest NetFlix update, Google Play (movies and TV shows), and apparently HBO2GO. That's probably like 90% of all the content viewed for either free on YouTube, the low $8 a month NetFlix subscription or the as cheap as $2 rentals on Google Play.

By the way this device is a whopping $35 and takes exactly 3 minutes to set up with your TV and home wi-fi network. The simplicity of this is pure genius. Only downside is that it's sold out for at least 2 weeks. But there are a ton of them on Ebay and maybe Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDRFaRMt0d0

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-07-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #2

Amazon sellers are selling them for $70-75...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #3

That's not terrible really because although Google is selling them for $35 they have to charge you tax and S&H, so its more like $50. Maybe if you have Prime on Amazon you can skip the shipping but they will charge you tax. An Ebay seller offering free shipping is probably the cheapest since I think a seller is not obligated to charge sales tax (50 state presence rule or something).
Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 AM   #4

It's only available from the US Google Play Store so Amazon/ebay are the only option for us non-Americans...
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #5

You're probably better off if you want it in August. They are going to sell 20 million of these. That's probably being conservative considering both Apple and Android people will be buying.
If you have a bunch of money in a TV/surround sound system and have an Ipad or Iphone (hundreds of millions of those out there), this is the biggest no-brainer in man cave history.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-07-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:26 PM   #6

I just bought two of these a week ago. Like Perfectlap said, setup was fast and easy. Plug it in, download the app from Google Store, and it pretty much sets itself up. I had a Roku, but it didn't have Youtube. All the other channels (HBO GO, Amazon, HuluPlus, etc.) require separate subscriptions, and I only need streaming from Youtube and Netflix. If you are a Android and Chrome user, you should already find a lot of uses for the Chromecast. One important reason that I bought this is the streaming from Chrome browser on a PC, which opens up many possibilities. Anyways, in conclusion, great product, great prices (I also got 3 months free of Netflix deal), waiting for more compatible apps in the future.
hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Just got mine this week - its pretty cool.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #8

I'm going to bet that Google is going to aggressively push to have these already installed in TV's from the factory. If this simple device with two HDMI pins, a wall charger and the device itself can be sold for $35 then mass producing them as part of TV hardware should be peanuts.
getting people to connect their smartphones and tablets to the TV at home this effortlessly is going to be a HUGE threat to the cable companies and a pretty much change how people watch TV/see advertising.

Apple will no doubt try and do the same with TV makers as a way to mitigate errosion of Apple TV use, but if they try and dictate any terms not to the manufacturers liking, the LG's, Panasonics, Sony's and LOL Samsungs can tell Apple to pound sand because the Google version will always be available to both Apple and Android users alike. Unless Apple try to block the signal somehow from their devices.

Leaving this sort of thing to Google should free up some margin for the TV makers who don't really have a big interest in getting everyone to use their version of smart TV software which probably requires constant updating.

p.s.
They've already hacked the Chromecast to allow it to beam video games from your tablet to the TV. All of those gaming companies are probably frantically coming up with plans to get ahead of this. All of those free apps in the Apple Store and Google Play could put a serious dent in gaming sales.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #9

I received my Chromecast from Amazon ($35) yesterday and set up was easy. Not sure how I like it compared to other devices but certainly cool for the price.

I have two vacation condos that I rent out and want to put a device (Apple TV, Roku or Chromecast) to provide Netflix for my guests. Given that one can have six devices on one Netflix account, this is a cheap upgrade for the condos.

My take so far. Apple TV - Very cool and seamless. Airplay gives same functionality of Chromecast (with Airplay enabled devices). I use the Apple TV for Netflix, MLBTV and Youtube, along with music. Con is that the device does not support Amazon Video (of course)

Roku - Works great but not quite as polished as the Applle TV. Slower to boot but more channels. Supports Amazon but not MLB.tv.

Chromecast - I love the fact that it just plugs into the HDMI port. Not sure it will fit by desire to provide Netflix for my guests as the device simply cast the video from your mobile device or computer. My guest would not be able to get Netflix without them having their own account and chromcast app on their mobile device.

My take is not a knock on any of the devices. I'm just trying to find something that meets my needs, which may be different from others. Right now, I'm looking at putting the Roku's in the condos and keeping the Apple TV and Chromcast at home. I will try to stream Amazon from my chrome browser tonight to seem how it looks.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #10

Don't think Amazon's going to work for you. I don't even see the simple Amazon app in the Google Play store anymore. I can see the logic of allowing someone on a totally different platform like Apple to use their content on the Google device, but I can't really see why they would allow another Android competitor to sell the same media. Kindle is going to have to come up with a beaming device of their own for movies or just buy Roku. Otherwise, Roku's future looks very bleak.

By the way, If I were in your shoes I would get the Chromecast for your guests. #1 it's cheap.
#2 it works if they have an Iphone or Android phone. #3 if they don't have NetFlix they can rent movies from Itunes or the Play from their own phones. #4 If they have a NetFlix account odds are they have made an Itune sor Play store purchase at least once and have an account. #5 You're not making any money on the NetFlix rentals so if its Netflix or iTunes same difference.

I'd curious to see if you left a recent Movie on DVD in the room if most would open it up to watch it.