Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

Lowering the Stock Seat

Is there anybody that sells a type of seat rail or something that can lower the stock seat? I am much too big of a man to use a race seat comfortably, and I really like the feel of my stock seats. Plus, I want to keep the color of my interior consistent. I don't really think I need any seat movement as I need it as low as possible and as far back as possible to comfortably drive. I know some race seats will bolt to the floor, but I don't know if you can do that to a stock seat. I just don't want to change the look of the interior. Thanks for your help.

Black Stallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stallion View Post
Is there anybody that sells a type of seat rail or something that can lower the stock seat? I am much too big of a man to use a race seat comfortably, and I really like the feel of my stock seats. Plus, I want to keep the color of my interior consistent. I don't really think I need any seat movement as I need it as low as possible and as far back as possible to comfortably drive. I know some race seats will bolt to the floor, but I don't know if you can do that to a stock seat. I just don't want to change the look of the interior. Thanks for your help.
I just had the same issue. Not sure if you have done this yet, but on the side of your seat there is a long handle to adjust the seat height, etc. pull up on that and push yourself down and back. I thought for sure my 03 was actually smaller inside than my 02 until someone told me this trick. gave me all the room in the world.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Trimer every Box has this feature ?
On mine It seem to not :s
Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #4

My S has full power seats. I don't think that handle is on there. It definitely feels like it is as far down and back as it will go without modifications.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Dude View Post
Trimer every Box has this feature ?
On mine It seem to not :s
good question. I would have assumed so but maybe the S is more fancy! mine is partial power seats for the back of the seat to go back and forth. next to that small lever is the one I was talking about. a little longer lever. So I dont know. My car is in the shop or I would take a pic.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Stallion View Post
As far as I know there's no solution for that. The mount points that connect the seat to the rails are totally unique. So I don't think you can replace the rails with something that would mount the seat to the floor.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

If I remember correct there is an optioncode for a lower seat from MY 02 or 03 .
I have seen this in a spare parts catalogue a while ago. If someone has access to this it is possible to check the part number for this thinner cushion. Guess that there will be more parts needed than the cushion, but at least the frame was the same.
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #8

Garage
Hrmm, one can always get some bucket seats. I have a pair that should be coming in today. It should lower the seat quite drastically. I will post pictures and tell you how much it is lowered compared to the stock.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #9

My biggest issues with using buckets is two-fold. 1. I have the Boxster Red supple leather seats that I love. I want to keep the same color because I don't want the car to look too modified. 2. I'm probably one of the biggest men to ever drive a 986. I'm about 6'4", 300+ lbs, with a 32" inseam. I don't think I've seen any race buckets that would fit my fat a**.