Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Newb

Drove 900 miles from MA to TN

I love driving this car. Only wish I had chosen a better route.

Drove 200 miles from MA to Southern Jersey on Friday afternoon. Drove nearly 700 miles yesterday (Saturday) to Johnson City, TN.

Rt 81 is not the route to take unless you enjoy traffic and trucks. Definitely not the way I am heading back north in two weeks! Open to all suggestions.....

Absolutely no problems with the car and I seem to have fallen in love with the 4k to 6k rpm range. It is just hard to believe that this engine has two modes. Kinda like Jekyll & Hyde. And even harder to believe that this is "good" for the engine. Either way I am addicted!

While I am down this way I plan to visit someone in Asheville, NC and Spartanburg, SC. Might get over to In Den Bergen next weekend in Waynesville NC. Anyone else going to this event? Also gotta grab dinner with Mountainman!

Too bad I am But I am working M-F 8-6. I need much more time in this area of the country!

2008 Land Rover LR3 Alaska White/Alpaca
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring Dk Grey/Lt Grey
V-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Post a few pic's! There has got to be a giant ball of string or a Big Foot in a freezer in the back of a country store somewhere along your travels!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Great drive

Coming back from California to my home in Montreal, a great bit of road was the Blue Ridge Parkway, north from Roanoke. Beautiful morning, top down, no cars, listen to that motor howl when you punch it through the turns!
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #4

A good route out of Asheville and to avoid the Blue Ridge Parkway (which can be long and slow if you get behind a motorhome). Go east to Morgantown, NC, north to Blowing Rock, NC. Stop to eat, sightsee, etc. North to Boone,NC, then find your way to Hwy 421, northbound toward Bristol, TN. 421 is a really, really great Porsche road, well paved, lots of high speed turns and switchbacks and is a better sports car road than the Tail of the Dragon. Not cluttered with crotch rocket zanies. Well, maybe a few.
leknus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
DIY extremist

Definitely catch up with Mountainman.

Blue Ridge Parkway is great if you hit it on a weekday. I did it in my 986, but unfortunately it was rainy when I was nearby in the 987S.

Mountainman can steer you towards some wicked roads in the area as well.
black_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

Garage
planning to hit In den Bergen about 10;30 or 11 Saturday morning.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #7

If you get to Spartanburg, there is a BMW factory right off of I-85 that has tours and a small museum. They used to make the Z3 and Z4 there. Now they make the X5 (I think). Nice facility and a pretty cool tour.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Newb

I will definitely do this this coming weekend if the weather holds good. I will take some pics and grab a bite on the road. Do you have a favorite spot to eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leknus View Post
A good route out of Asheville and to avoid the Blue Ridge Parkway (which can be long and slow if you get behind a motorhome). Go east to Morgantown, NC, north to Blowing Rock, NC. Stop to eat, sightsee, etc. North to Boone,NC, then find your way to Hwy 421, northbound toward Bristol, TN. 421 is a really, really great Porsche road, well paved, lots of high speed turns and switchbacks and is a better sports car road than the Tail of the Dragon. Not cluttered with crotch rocket zanies. Well, maybe a few.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #9

V-Rod,

Too bad you can't go through WV. You could take Rt 119 at Chattaroy and go north to Charleston.

Fun times!
OHBoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #10

Garage
Ken, get back home where you belong Why the Boxster and not the red car?
Dan
Old 08-11-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Newb

Headed northeast out of Johnson City, TN to Ridgewood BBQ in Bluff City, TN. Then headed south to Spartanburg, SC via Rt. 321 to Boone, NC & Rt. 221 to Spartanburg. This was one great ride and was filled with many mountain twists, turn and switchbacks. There were spots of rain and sun along the way which made for plenty of roof exercise.

Today is a really sunny day in Spartanburg and I am trying to decide which way to go. I need to be back in Johnson City tonight. I am thinking of heading through Greenville, SC and up to Deals Gap, do the Dragon and head back to Johnson City via 19 north to Asheville and 26 north to Johnson City. I would love to stay in the mountains but I gotta be back in JC tonight. I will have to hook up with Mountainman some night this week.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
Newb

Now that I look at it maybe I could just follow the Tennessee/North Carolina border from Deal Gap to Rt.26 just south of Johnson City. This looks like it could be awesome. :dance:
Old 08-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #13
Newb

BTW, I am open to suggestions for my route back to MA from Johnson City next weekend. I can leave on Saturday morning and be home sometime on Monday.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #14

If you're still in the JC area check out the Snake, hwy 421 from Bristol to Mountain City. I live in Bristol, TN. If you need some Porsche work while you're in town head to Rezoom in Blountville on Island Rd.
16vsilverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #15

Garage
Vrod, we are going to be on a drive Tuesday and end up in marion Virginia ( not very far from Johnson city ) about 4 oclock. That is right at the back of the dragon. If you get free you can meet us there for a little drive and dinner. On Wednesday we drive all day, end up again in marion at about 4 oclock. If you are free then we can drive back and meet you about 5 for dinner at ridgewood bbq. If any of this works call me.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote