Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
jakesbox

Soooooo

I would assume my new box is de-snorked. I got a box full of stuff I just went through and the air box was with the original oem filter in it along with what I assume was the snorkel cause it looks like one! It has an open box with what looks like a cone shaped K&N type filter in the open box. Then there are also two royal blue color sleeves in the engine bay attached to the big tube going into that box. never saw Blue anything in one of these engines. meant to snap a pic so next time I get it all undone I will.

Anything I need to understand or is this just simply upgrades for sound and performance?

Engine bay was clean...slightly dusty but on a 17000 mile car with the way this guy took care of it, it was expected. The air filter looks a little worse for wear so I will look into a replacment for it. Not sure through...can that type of filter be cleaned?

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #2

You absolutely do not want a K&N filter in any car that uses a MAF (which these do). Get rid of that crap for a factory filter (which has been proven to flow far more air than the engine can ingest), and de-snork, for added sound.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer View Post
You absolutely do not want a K&N filter in any car that uses a MAF (which these do). Get rid of that crap for a factory filter (which has been proven to flow far more air than the engine can ingest), and de-snork, for added sound.

Is this something I can do? All the parts are in the box so I assume it is pretty much plug and play? My worry is re-snorking it and taking out that grill piece on side of the car.
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Before you do anything, take some time and research the K&N filter issue because you're going to get a wide range of opinion on this subject: Some say that the K&N filter causes the MAF to fail. Some say only over-oiling the filter will damage the mass airflow sensor (MAF). Some say then don't over oil it. Some say that the K&N has nothing to do with MAF failures. Etc, etc.

If you do decide to re-snork and go back to the OEM filter, the next step is to make sure that you have ALL of the parts. You wouldn't be the first used car buyer who was told by the seller that he was given all of the parts only to find that _________ (fill in blank) was missing.

You should be able to find DIY's to help get this done. If not, post back and someone will help.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-25-2013 at 02:05 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote