Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #1

Battery replacement

Is there a retailer for new batteries that is better than others? That is, Pep Boys, Costco, etc., do they have an acceptable OEM type replacement, and/or, is Optima a much better option. I understand there is an adapter needed for the Optima.

Thanks, ya'll.

threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #2

Aaa is pretty hard to beat at the moment .
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
Is there a retailer for new batteries that is better than others? That is, Pep Boys, Costco, etc., do they have an acceptable OEM type replacement, and/or, is Optima a much better option. I understand there is an adapter needed for the Optima.

Thanks, ya'll.
The Optima is a better battery, but it does require an adaptor plate to install. There are also direct fit AGM batteries out now that are also good choices.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #4

Garage
I have been hoping for a battery thread....
If you are replacing, is it worth considering a lightweight battery as an option - looking at the weights the savings are quite significant?

It's something i am looking into myself.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post
If you are replacing, is it worth considering a lightweight battery as an option - looking at the weights the savings are quite significant?

Depends upon how you use the car. All of the lightweight batteries, with the exception of the hyper expensive lithium's, have lower CCA ratings than the OEM style battery. In battery technology, "weight is power" has pretty much been true for a very long time.

If your car is a daily driver, used in cold climates, driven distances at night, or has a lot of electrically powered accessories (sat nav, audio, etc.), you would probably be better off going with a standard battery. If the car is used occasionally, or is mostly a track car, the lightweight battery may be OK.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #6

Adapter plate for Optima.

Yellow Dog Motorsports | Corvette, Porsche and Alfa Romeo Parts | GMP-51

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/batteries
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #7

This is what I got. I live in a cold climate and wanted a battery I could disconnect and leave without a battery tender for a month or 2 (AGM is ok for that). I also needed plenty of CCA. Shipping was free. Not lightweight though.

Exide Edge FP-AGML4/94R Automotive Battery - Battery Service Corporation
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexPorsche View Post

Look at the prices of the gt3 battery from porsche motorsports , and the offerings from Braille etc. then think about how many batteries fail at the first sighting of an English winter ......

IMHO you're better buying a bosch silver from german&swedish and using the 3 year warranty if the winter kills it .
It should be less than 100 .

If you need a lightweight battery for track days , anything that can last a day is good enough , and you can simply change it out the night before or even at the track with basic tools .

I once worked with a rally driver in Kilkenny Ireland , in the time he'd negotiated with his sponsors to get some cash to buy lightweight parts he put on about half a stone .

The moral of this story ?
There may be other/better ways of losing wieght on the car

Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote