Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #1

Garage
CTEK/Porsche battery tender issue

After a year of use, very effective use, my ctek/porsche battery tender is acting strange....

Power light is on, auto vs motorcycle indicator is lit up, however, no indicator light comes on. There 3 lights, !, orange charging, green fully charged. None of these 3 lights are coming on.

I've checked all fuses,both ctek and #7 Porsche fuse, both are fine and cig lighter powers my Garmin just fine. Called CTEK, The lady was knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with but she had no answers.

Have any of you using this charger experienced this. Frustrated.

Last edited by Verhag; 07-19-2013 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Title
Verhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #2

Garage
If indeed the device is defective, I'd be more than willing to bet that CTEK would stand behind it. I recommend calling them and explaining the situation.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verhag View Post
After a year of use, very effective use, my ctek/porsche battery tender is acting strange....

Power light is on, auto vs motorcycle indicator is lit up, however, no indicator light comes on. There 3 lights, !, orange charging, green fully charged. None of these 3 lights are coming on.

I've checked all fuses,both ctek and #7 Porsche fuse, both are fine and cig lighter powers my Garmin just fine. Called CTEK, The lady was knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with but she had no answers.

Have any of you using this charger experienced this. Frustrated.
Yes, we have seen it before; you have an incomplete circuit either due to a blown fuse in the CTEK system or a wire problem. As it sounds like you are using the cig lighter, have you checked the fuse in the cig lighter adapter? It is a little glass fuse. There is also a fuse inside the CTEK case itself. If you have a digital multimeter available, check the output at the CTEK unit's cable to see if it is "hot", and also check the cable going to the cig lighter for continuity; somewhere, you have a disconnect.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
soucorp

Garage
Use the alligator clap adapter on it and try that if it makes a difference? I would agree there's a blown fuse maybe. My CTEK has always worked on the Porsche and Ferrari batteries slow charge.
But I only use the claps directly to the battery posts, never the cig lighter and it never had a problem.

best

Last edited by soucorp; 07-19-2013 at 11:27 AM.
soucorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #5

Garage
Took it apart.....didn't see anything that looked like a fuse, put it back together and it now works fine. Must have been crimped line. Thanks for the responses.