Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #1

Garage
convertable top transmission

Recently the gear broke in the right side convertible top transmission. Anyone that has had this happen knows what a pain it is to remove the transmission when the top is stuck in closed position. The worst part is the price to fix it.
Basically you have two choices.
1. purchase a new transmission nearly $700
2. roll the dice on ebay for a used transmission at $250
I spoke with a fella in NJ that specializes in making gears of any kind. I sent him my transmission so that he could examine the gear and give me a quote. He claims he can make this gear no problem.
His analysis of the gear is that it is an injection molded gear with a shelf life. It will fail with age regardless the use. We bounced ideas around for a bit today on material used to reproduce the gear. He is reproducing my gear with superior self lubricating plastic and assures me that the gear will never fail again, provided the mechanism does not bind. The plastic gear serves as a point of failure in the system. He will be selling these gears on ebay after he makes mine for a yet to be determined price. It should be under the $250 it would cost to buy a used transmission from ebay (basically 250 for a used plastic gear).
I will be glad to post a link for all interested once I verify the gear works well.

broken2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #2

Mine right side just broke also. So I would be interested.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Wonder if I have the same problem. My top goes up and down, but makes a clunking noise as the motor runs. the noise cycles about a second apart when runs. the top light stays on now too.
I had the top replaced about 5 weeks ago and have only put down 3 times since. Now the noise. Is this transmission or something else?
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #4

I have a set of left and right gearboxes laying around from a very low mileage car, if anyone needs them....
Old 08-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer View Post
I have a set of left and right gearboxes laying around from a very low mileage car, if anyone needs them....
Let me know how much?
Old 08-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandodiaz View Post
Let me know how much?
PM has been sent.
Old 08-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken2bfree View Post
Recently the gear broke in the right side convertible top transmission. Anyone that has had this happen knows what a pain it is to remove the transmission when the top is stuck in closed position. The worst part is the price to fix it.
Basically you have two choices.
1. purchase a new transmission nearly $700
2. roll the dice on ebay for a used transmission at $250
I spoke with a fella in NJ that specializes in making gears of any kind. I sent him my transmission so that he could examine the gear and give me a quote. He claims he can make this gear no problem.
His analysis of the gear is that it is an injection molded gear with a shelf life. It will fail with age regardless the use. We bounced ideas around for a bit today on material used to reproduce the gear. He is reproducing my gear with superior self lubricating plastic and assures me that the gear will never fail again, provided the mechanism does not bind. The plastic gear serves as a point of failure in the system. He will be selling these gears on ebay after he makes mine for a yet to be determined price. It should be under the $250 it would cost to buy a used transmission from ebay (basically 250 for a used plastic gear).
I will be glad to post a link for all interested once I verify the gear works well.
I'm interested too : don't want to buy a used part that will fail again PM me with price if you have it.
kirk911tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #8

I agree, since the other side is also showing signs of cracking, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it fails. I'm sure it will be the same for any used parts.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #9

Very interested as my convertible top stopped working recently. Attached are some photos of what I think is a bent rail.

The top stopped closing halfway through and I had to use my hand to close it the rest. The motor spools, but dies shortly after.

Any ideas?

Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #10

New Porsche Boxster 986 Convertible Top Transmission Gear Replace It with Metal | eBay

Is this from your guy?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #11

I talked to my mechanic, and he's 90% sure it's my top transmissions. Assuming he is correct and they are broken, do I purchase a whole new transmission or can I just purchase this steel gear (which is usually the cause of failure)
Old 09-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Price is a little high. For the same amount you can pickup a used 987 transmission. I understand the changed the gears to brass. If you try to buy a new transmission, you will get the new 987 trans.

Maybe you can get a deal buying 2?
Old 09-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #13

If I get these metal gears, will I still need a new transmission? Or will this essentially 'fix' my broken transmission
Old 09-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #14

Anyone?
I'm about to make a purchase on transmissions and I'd like to know if I actually need them.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #15

The gear is usually the problem, but the guy on ebay only has the gear for the right side so you could only fix the transmission with the white gear (right side). He wants another 250 to make the black gear on the left. If they were 125 then it makes sense but otherwhise just buy a matching set of 987 transmissions and youre set.
kirk911tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #16

I looked again at the set that I have, which came from an 05 987, and the left transmission has a 987 part, while the right one is a 986 part. Go figure.

Either way, I have these available to whoever needs them.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #17

So the 987 transmissions have brass gears which are deemed to not fail?

I wonder if I could buy the 987 brass gear instead of buying a whole new transmission, and just repair my current transmission, and whether or not it'd be cheaper.
Alternatively do what the OP did. Take my transmission out, have a gear shop replicate the gear, and then repair my old transmissions with new gears.

Last edited by Crono0001; 09-08-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #18

I've done some more research. Even if I purchased pushrods, new transmission and motor with cables, it still doesn't address this problem that I can see:

Here is my PASSENGER side top rail frame thingy. As you can see, it's got a peg through the rail.

Here is my DRIVER side top rail frame thingy. As you can see, bent and not in place.

Any ideas??

Can someone show me a diagram how these work? All I ever see are the motor to transmissions to push rods, nothing above.

Last edited by Crono0001; 09-08-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer View Post
I looked again at the set that I have, which came from an 05 987, and the left transmission has a 987 part, while the right one is a 986 part. Go figure.

Either way, I have these available to whoever needs them.
So the parts you ve ordered worked well?

meemo is offline   Reply With Quote