View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
kirk911tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken2bfree View Post
Recently the gear broke in the right side convertible top transmission. Anyone that has had this happen knows what a pain it is to remove the transmission when the top is stuck in closed position. The worst part is the price to fix it.
Basically you have two choices.
1. purchase a new transmission nearly $700
2. roll the dice on ebay for a used transmission at $250
I spoke with a fella in NJ that specializes in making gears of any kind. I sent him my transmission so that he could examine the gear and give me a quote. He claims he can make this gear no problem.
His analysis of the gear is that it is an injection molded gear with a shelf life. It will fail with age regardless the use. We bounced ideas around for a bit today on material used to reproduce the gear. He is reproducing my gear with superior self lubricating plastic and assures me that the gear will never fail again, provided the mechanism does not bind. The plastic gear serves as a point of failure in the system. He will be selling these gears on ebay after he makes mine for a yet to be determined price. It should be under the $250 it would cost to buy a used transmission from ebay (basically 250 for a used plastic gear).
I will be glad to post a link for all interested once I verify the gear works well.
I'm interested too : don't want to buy a used part that will fail again PM me with price if you have it.
kirk911tt is offline   Reply With Quote